Need some advice..

mesimply

Mar 21, 2011
Hi everyone,

Am new to this forum and am currently considering getting my first DSLR. I have narrowed it down to Pentax k-r and Canon E550 and I have some problem deciding between them.

Personally I prefer pentax k-r, mainly for outlook ( I haven't got the chance to hold the camera yet but I like the white one ;P) and the pricing (which I am intending to get 18-55mm and 55-300mm).

However, as a friend pointed out to me, most of my friends around me are using Canon and Nikon, thus lens borrowing will be much easier and whether Pentax have any issues or limitations with servicing/repairs etc. And it will be easier to get 2nd-hand lens for Canon given the mass users in Singapore?

For my usage, I will be taking mainly nature landscape, street photography, animals and macro. So I am assuming that the 2 lens I will get with Pentax should be more than sufficient plus a macro lens? Of course eventually I might need more lens hence my concern about the pricing and availability of lens (new and used).

Appreciate all advices! Thanks in advance. :)

Hi mesimply. I was like you in May2010, contemplating between Pentax K-X and E550. I can share with you my own impressions (not to say that's the right or only way). I am familiar with film SLR (having dabled in photography in school days), but relied on PnS in the digital era until this recent purchase (cost).

I eventually picked KX, and got the kits 18-55/55-300. Do I regret ? No, but I do think occasionally what if I went Canon.... Since then, I've added the collection of lenses, many on impulse (you can see my signature :) ). You can always rationalize the purchase if you want.

The pros of Pentax - good lenses (you can view fabulous shots taken in CS), cheap lenses (from M42 to PK mounts, particularly from eBay), wide range of lenses, fantastic community (very helpful seniors around). I'm sure Canon users will also say the same about their experience, and because you have a pool of Canon friends, maybe that will tilt over to that side. On the camera side, not sure if fair to pit Kr vs 550D (even then Kx vs 550D) as I think 550D is positioned higher.

After 9 months, my own conclusion is that it doesn't really matter which gear you pick, it's how you use it. I think great photography comes from personal technique (can be developed through study) and opportunity (must work hard to improve likelihood of opportunity), way way before gear. My buying guide right now would be to try to know more about yourself as a photographer (personal likes / dislikes - such as weight, changing lens etc, typical shots to taken etc). Do consider the higher end compacts as an option (e.g Canon S95) because at least that one is more likely to be with you more often to capture the magic moment. DSLR is not quite fun to lug around sometimes. If you want to try, get a good 2nd hard one and see if the interest develops from there.

Sorry for the long read. Good luck in your quest and welcome to Clubsnap.

Hi everyone,

Am new to this forum and am currently considering getting my first DSLR. I have narrowed it down to Pentax k-r and Canon E550 and I have some problem deciding between them.

Personally I prefer pentax k-r, mainly for outlook ( I haven't got the chance to hold the camera yet but I like the white one ;P) and the pricing (which I am intending to get 18-55mm and 55-300mm).

However, as a friend pointed out to me, most of my friends around me are using Canon and Nikon, thus lens borrowing will be much easier and whether Pentax have any issues or limitations with servicing/repairs etc. And it will be easier to get 2nd-hand lens for Canon given the mass users in Singapore?

For my usage, I will be taking mainly nature landscape, street photography, animals and macro. So I am assuming that the 2 lens I will get with Pentax should be more than sufficient plus a macro lens? Of course eventually I might need more lens hence my concern about the pricing and availability of lens (new and used).

Appreciate all advices! Thanks in advance. :)

honestly? go for K-r.

Sharing of lens are usually not easy.

The pentax K-r is a better all-rounder camera for entry level :)

yes, the 2 lens is good enough.

Hi mesimply. I was like you in May2010, contemplating between Pentax K-X and E550. I can share with you my own impressions (not to say that's the right or only way). I am familiar with film SLR (having dabled in photography in school days), but relied on PnS in the digital era until this recent purchase (cost).

I eventually picked KX, and got the kits 18-55/55-300. Do I regret ? No, but I do think occasionally what if I went Canon.... Since then, I've added the collection of lenses, many on impulse (you can see my signature :) ). You can always rationalize the purchase if you want.

The pros of Pentax - good lenses (you can view fabulous shots taken in CS), cheap lenses (from M42 to PK mounts, particularly from eBay), wide range of lenses, fantastic community (very helpful seniors around). I'm sure Canon users will also say the same about their experience, and because you have a pool of Canon friends, maybe that will tilt over to that side. On the camera side, not sure if fair to pit Kr vs 550D (even then Kx vs 550D) as I think 550D is positioned higher.

After 9 months, my own conclusion is that it doesn't really matter which gear you pick, it's how you use it. I think great photography comes from personal technique (can be developed through study) and opportunity (must work hard to improve likelihood of opportunity), way way before gear. My buying guide right now would be to try to know more about yourself as a photographer (personal likes / dislikes - such as weight, changing lens etc, typical shots to taken etc). Do consider the higher end compacts as an option (e.g Canon S95) because at least that one is more likely to be with you more often to capture the magic moment. DSLR is not quite fun to lug around sometimes. If you want to try, get a good 2nd hard one and see if the interest develops from there.

Sorry for the long read. Good luck in your quest and welcome to Clubsnap.

for IQ wise, i doubt the 550D is of any where superior than the K-r.
K-r got tons of additional controls/features and etc compared to the 550D.

I second that about sharing lenses, though it depends on the relationship. For my good lenses, I think I may only lend if lens is within sight (and that's a may). Picture Q is a function more of the lens rather than the camera, so if you know you will be fussy about picture Q, your costing should extend to the lenses that you will be acquiring. Both brands make good lenses but I have the general impression that Pentax lenses will not cost as much. Part of the reason is the Shake Reduction (or Image Stabilisation) feature which Pentax has in the camera body (= all lens have SR feature) as compared to Canon (individual lenses have to be 'IS' or 'VC' in the case of Tamron).

honestly? go for K-r.

Sharing of lens are usually not easy.

The pentax K-r is a better all-rounder camera for entry level :)

yes, the 2 lens is good enough.

THanks pentlynk for sharing as I think that's what I need to know most. I was almost sure I wanted Pentax until I got kinda sway by my frens comments on my decision. But I think I will stick to it. ;)

MarineX: yeah now come to think of it, sharing of lens is really not easy..

intrance: Yes I did, but I guess I missed the part where they mentioned about sharing of lens and most guides are written in a neutral tone but I needed someone who can share insights of similar dilemma. So far all that I have read about Pentax are pretty much the good stuff so I was wondering if anyone would have anything different to share that can affect my choice. ;)

Thanks everyone, think I am almost sure of my choice. Just need to check out the shops now.. :p

I second that about sharing lenses, though it depends on the relationship. For my good lenses, I think I may only lend if lens is within sight (and that's a may). Picture Q is a function more of the lens rather than the camera, so if you know you will be fussy about picture Q, your costing should extend to the lenses that you will be acquiring. Both brands make good lenses but I have the general impression that Pentax lenses will not cost as much. Part of the reason is the Shake Reduction (or Image Stabilisation) feature which Pentax has in the camera body (= all lens have SR feature) as compared to Canon (individual lenses have to be 'IS' or 'VC' in the case of Tamron).

price of their lens are usually pricier as well if you want IS or VR

It is obvious you wanted Pentax. Canon E550 is a battery, the DSLR is 550D, you didn't even get the name right :p
The difference is not that great and probably won't be that limiting to your photography.
I can help sway you back to pentax. One thing I didn't like most about my Canon 550D was colours at light, what I get isn't what I see many a times. Red turns out pink. I believe that can be post processed or even changed but troublesome.

If you are on a budget, go K-r definitely better value for money. Not to mean it is only for people on budget.

It is obvious you wanted Pentax. Canon E550 is a battery, the DSLR is 550D, you didn't even get the name right :p
The difference is not that great and probably won't be that limiting to your photography.
I can help sway you back to pentax. One thing I didn't like most about my Canon 550D was colours at light, what I get isn't what I see many a times. Red turns out pink. I believe that can be post processed or even changed but troublesome.

If you are on a budget, go K-r definitely better value for money. Not to mean it is only for people on budget.

Hmm.. interesting coming from a Canon user. I hear of the comment Canon color 'pop', meaning very saturated or rich as a default setting. Some people (like my wife) likes it. When the first shots of Pentax (which I would describe as very 'natural' or toned down), she gave me the *look*. At least on the tiny LCD, Canon looks more 'beautiful' (Ixus 960IS). Perhaps it's some color setting or something ? I cannot imagine an 'A' brand not having high color fidelity options.

Hmm.. interesting coming from a Canon user. I hear of the comment Canon color 'pop', meaning very saturated or rich as a default setting. Some people (like my wife) likes it. When the first shots of Pentax (which I would describe as very 'natural' or toned down), she gave me the *look*. At least on the tiny LCD, Canon looks more 'beautiful' (Ixus 960IS). Perhaps it's some color setting or something ? I cannot imagine an 'A' brand not having high color fidelity options.

The colours that you see one the LCD are a) inaccurate and b) depending on the in-camera settings. For accurate analysis you need compare side by side on calibrated equipment. The discussion about 'Nikon colours' or 'Canon skin tone' is useless and misses the point: DSLR are meant to work with the image in post-processing. The in-camera processing settings are only a suggestion based on typical and average settings for certain scenes / conditions. If you like it then so be it. If you don't like it then don't blame any equipment. Shoot RAW and do your own processing.
Also, do keep in mind that settings and sensors are easily fooled under special conditions.

i rather go for a camera that requires less processing needs. So i can choose when to do it and not having the mentality that i need to come home and do it every now and then.

Mate, honestly...your thread will spark debate over those who use Pentax and Canon. Of course, if you are using Pentax you wouldn't want anyone saying "hey my canon is better than yours.." otherwise you would have put Pentax over his forehead, would you?... the same i guess with those using Canon....LOL.

I've seen countless threads similar to this. But the best thing to do is go out, (either rent, visit shops, or go to friends who owns those cams) and try both camera. See what fits you, it doesn't really matter which one you pick as long as you're comfy with it, and get terrific shots. Cheers!

Last edited: