need some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzii

Aug 9, 2009
hi.. Need some help here. Is it ok for someone who just get to know how a dslr function to use 5d mark II and learn using a full frame cam? Would really appreciate ur help.. Cause i reli like 5d.. And really wanna get it but aint reli sure if i should..

What do you like about it? Do you need it's functions? For you, what can it do that a smaller-sensor cam can't? Do you even have the skills to utilize a semi-pro cam like that? Or will you be totally lost in the functions and controls?

In the end it's your money. You want to buy a 5DMkII? Go ahead. You feel it's best for *you* to learn on it? Go ahead. We can't tell you what to do with your money.

oki.. That sounded kind of harsh. It almost made me teared.. But i still thank you for the advice... I wont get a full frame cam.

oki.. That sounded kind of harsh. It almost made me teared.. But i still thank you for the advice... I wont get a full frame cam.

Nonsense. It's not harsh at all. It's the questions you should ask yourself... Are you only buying because "itchy hands"?

Like I said, if you think you have the patience to master it, go ahead. It's your money, nobody can tell you what to do with it. But think very carefully before making such a big investment.

Hello, enzii. Firstly a warm welcome to you!
Actually, what Rashkae says makes a lot of sense.
Eh, don't feel disheartened... not that you can't use a 5DMkII as a newbie.
Let's use an analogy - does it mean that a brand new driver can't buy a Mercedes Benz (or a Porche, or a Ferrari etc. etc..) to use just because he is new? No, right?
Just that if you drive a Mercedes, some of the finer touch of the drive, the responsitive-ness, the road holding etc. etc.. the new driver may not appreciate it.
Therefore I guess that is why seniors in CS would usually recommend an entry level camera.
If you like Canon - sure, go ahead and get a 500D, a 50D to shoot until you are so familiar with the way the Canon system works, how it response to your tweaking of the parameters, how you hold the camera, how responsive is the shutter button...
When you then buy the 5DMkII (by then maybe MkIII), you will value it like crazy.
.. I hope I make sense...

Hello, enzii. Firstly a warm welcome to you!
Actually, what Rashkae says makes a lot of sense.
Eh, don't feel disheartened... not that you can't use a 5DMkII as a newbie.
Let's use an analogy - does it mean that a brand new driver can't buy a Mercedes Benz (or a Porche, or a Ferrari etc. etc..) to use just because he is new? No, right?
Just that if you drive a Mercedes, some of the finer touch of the drive, the responsitive-ness, the road holding etc. etc.. the new driver may not appreciate it.
Therefore I guess that is why seniors in CS would usually recommend an entry level camera.
If you like Canon - sure, go ahead and get a 500D, a 50D to shoot until you are so familiar with the way the Canon system works, how it response to your tweaking of the parameters, how you hold the camera, how responsive is the shutter button...
When you then buy the 5DMkII (by then maybe MkIII), you will value it like crazy.
.. I hope I make sense...

Really easy to understand. :thumbsup:

Rashkae: no... Not cause of itchy hands. Just that i've seen pictures taken by it.. And i like it's aperture effects..

Limwhow:
Thank you so much! I understand... Yes i do own a 500d. Just tt i've been to a blog.. And i saw this girl who uses her 450d for like a few months and jump to a 5d mark II and i like her photos.. Esp the aperture effects.. So im just like wondering.. When can someone jump?

Really easy to understand. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Rendell.

hi.. Need some help here. Is it ok for someone who just get to know how a dslr function to use 5d mark II and learn using a full frame cam? Would really appreciate ur help.. Cause i reli like 5d.. And really wanna get it but aint reli sure if i should..

enzii, just remember, like Rashkae bro, many of the seniors here in Clubsnap mean well for the newbie. Just that too many newbies jump right into the deepest part of the pool and find himself/herself sinking. By then, it takes much more efforts for the experienced members to pull the newbie out or to save him/her.
I only bought my 5DMkII after about 1 year 8 months after using my 400D, if that makes it any more comfortable for you. Haha...:D

Rashkae: no... Not cause of itchy hands. Just that i've seen pictures taken by it.. And i like it's aperture effects..

Hey hey hey... (hahaha...) if you say you like the 5DMkII, because of the 'aperture effect', then you are going to kena scolding again liao...
It's not the camera, enzii... it's the lens..Remember remember...:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hey hey hey... (hahaha...) if you say you like the 5DMkII, because of the 'aperture effect', then you are going to kena scolding again liao...
It's not the camera, enzii... it's the lens..Remember remember...:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Thanks alot. Feel veri comfortable talking with you.. I mean the depth of field.. Just im not sure.. So im asking here before such big investment.. And kind of stunt by the replies.. But i still thank you thank you alot!

Thanks alot. Feel veri comfortable talking with you.. I mean the depth of field.. Just im not sure.. So im asking here before such big investment.. And kind of stunt by the replies.. But i still thank you thank you alot!

Same thing. DOF (Depth Of Field) also is mostly dependent on your lens and its widest available aperture. (There are other factors contributing to DOF - sensor size and its relation to Field Of View, distance of the lens to the subject, and such and such... not so much your camera body. but you will slowly learn as you read more into the forums.)
But it seems to me that you need a bit of more intensive work out in the basics despite you having the 500D for a while.
Just go to the newbie section. There are a few 'stickies' there that hold articles and postings from experience photographers that teach the basics of DSLR.

What do you like about it? Do you need it's functions? For you, what can it do that a smaller-sensor cam can't? Do you even have the skills to utilize a semi-pro cam like that? Or will you be totally lost in the functions and controls?

In the end it's your money. You want to buy a 5DMkII? Go ahead. You feel it's best for *you* to learn on it? Go ahead. We can't tell you what to do with your money.

Very harsh!! Respect ur choice if one day u might need the function. N of cos if u have the $$$.....

Echoing what the others have said, know what you need before making such investment. Those who knows probably won't have to ask around to help him make up his mind.

What I think: you should learn more about the basics - borrow books from library, read online tutorials, shoot more. From your use of vocab, it seems like you are still not too familiar with DSLRs. Take your time dude, different people has different learning speed/experience, so time taken to upgrade from one body to another may vary. I think you should learn more about DSLR before even thinking about changing gears - go borrow some books to read etc. You'll be surprised with what you can do with your current body.

If it's depth of field you want, then you might be better off getting a new lens with a wider aperture, e.g. 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, etc.

Also, your question is when is the right time to upgrade, right? This may sound counter-intuitive, but hear me out. The right time to upgrade is when you find that you are comfortable with your current gear, and can use it capably to take good photos without much effort.

When you are at this stage, you will recognise the limitations of your current gear, and maybe you find yourself held back by the limitation of your current camera, e.g. you have a taste for taking wide panorama shots, and your current camera is not full-frame, so you can't take full advantage of your 16mm lens, then maybe you need full-frame. Or maybe you like to shoot sports, and your camera can only do 3 frames per second, and you find that too slow, then you need to find a camera that can do more frames per second, and so on. The point is that when you know the limitations of your camera, you will know what you need to look for in a new replacement camera.

But if you cannot quantify how your photography will improve with a new camera, then my advice is not to upgrade until you can do so. Remember that better gear does not mean better photos, and a better camera does not make your photos more creative. Also, in my view, the lenses are more important than the camera body you use.

By the way, it'll be easier for us to help you if you can be more specific about the kind of effect you are trying to achieve with your photography (can give a link to an example photo, etc).

For all you know, your current 500d and whatever lens you have can already do it, just that you don't know how to do it.

If you look at most clubsnappers, you will see that many are using cameras just like yours, and they can produce photos of macro shots, zoo animals, birds at the bird park, portraits, street photography, and even weddings. It is not necessary to have a top end camera to take top end photos. Similarly, there are people here with top end cameras and lenses but still take terrible photos. That's worse, because when you reach that point, there is nothing else to blame but the photographer.

In the end, it's all about knowing your gear and it's limitations, and making best use of it.

In Canon context, I think of it this way for 5D MK2.

Full Frame + Video.

In a oversimplied sentence, thats what you are buying. If on the other hand you are looking for

Weather Resistance + Video.

Would be the 1D Mk4.

Learning to use a dslr is the easy part, using it for creative shots is the not so easy part.

Aaah. Ok. But you do realize that's more because of the lens used, right? If you get a 1000D and put on a 50mm f/1.4, you'll get very nice "aperture effects" too... At a fraction of the cost.

Never underestimate the value of the lens in a camera system. That's what really achieves the "effects".

Same thing. DOF (Depth Of Field) also is mostly dependent on your lens and its widest available aperture. (There are other factors contributing to DOF - sensor size and its relation to Field Of View, distance of the lens to the subject, and such and such... not so much your camera body. but you will slowly learn as you read more into the forums.)
But it seems to me that you need a bit of more intensive work out in the basics despite you having the 500D for a while.
Just go to the newbie section. There are a few 'stickies' there that hold articles and postings from experience photographers that teach the basics of DSLR.

yupz.. i know i still dont quite know the basics uz i've no time... busy with studies.. and i think i've really asked the wrong qn.. was trying to noe when can someone upgrade. can i ask like.. despite reading, is it a need to like go for lessons? thank you : )

Very harsh!! Respect ur choice if one day u might need the function. N of cos if u have the $$$.....

yes. i will. thank you : )

Two options:

Buy and play blindly or read, research, learn and then read some more. :cool:

But if no time to learn about the basic photography because of studies, shouldn't you be concentrating on your studies instead of hanging out here day after day asking about cameras? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.