Need some advice....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuggen

Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
I just came back from Taiwan not long ago with a S3IS from canon.However, after the trip, i'm at a cross road, not sure which path should i take. Hope some experienced members can help me with my dilemma.

Having used the S3IS for the 1 month backpacking trip in Taiwan, I realised S3IS serve as a really good snap and shoot camera. Especially with its adjustable screen. I realised i can shoot at any angle while viewing the live mode on the LCD. It saved me the trouble to squat or find a high land to take an overview on a busy street. I'm really glad that the reversable screen comes in handy.As Taiwan is blessed with several scenic spots, quite a handful of Taiwanese tourists are equipped with at least a dslr. This makes me envy their equipment and at the same time, question my own. S3IS seems to serve as a good camera for snap and shoot, but then it cant seems to give me the gratification of demanding better pictures.
The most troubling is the MF button, which makes me spend a considerable amount of time having to adjust to the right depth- and a limited depth!

S3IS is my 1st Digital camera, but i cant seem to get enough.Should I stay with S3IS until i learn more about digital photography? Or should i just get green card for an entry level of dSLR. If i were to stay with S3IS, i'm thinking should i invest in some polarizer, adapter or even lenses, knowing that these equipments wont be with me for long.There is 1 thing which is bothering me that current dSLR dont have a reversable screen. I'm just too used to S3IS's reversable screen as it really save me a lot of trouble from squatting down or shooting at awkward position.

Another thought is, maybe I should attend workshops and stop complaining about my equipment. The problem is with the photographer.

To stay on with my dslr or get an entry level of D50?

Anyone care to give me some suggestions

If you are getting good shots with your S3IS, I say stick with it. Moving on to dslr will mean a whole new learning curve again. changing equipment also needs $. Travelling overseas with a whole dslr kit can be a chore as well, in comparision to a prosumer.

erm what limitation does the S3 gives you?

ryuggen said:
I just came back from Taiwan not long ago with a S3IS from canon.However, after the trip, i'm at a cross road, not sure which path should i take. Hope some experienced members can help me with my dilemma.

Having used the S3IS for the 1 month backpacking trip in Taiwan, I realised S3IS serve as a really good snap and shoot camera. Especially with its adjustable screen. I realised i can shoot at any angle while viewing the live mode on the LCD. It saved me the trouble to squat or find a high land to take an overview on a busy street. I'm really glad that the reversable screen comes in handy.As Taiwan is blessed with several scenic spots, quite a handful of Taiwanese tourists are equipped with at least a dslr. This makes me envy their equipment and at the same time, question my own. S3IS seems to serve as a good camera for snap and shoot, but then it cant seems to give me the gratification of demanding better pictures.
The most troubling is the MF button, which makes me spend a considerable amount of time having to adjust to the right depth- and a limited depth!

S3IS is my 1st Digital camera, but i cant seem to get enough.Should I stay with S3IS until i learn more about digital photography? Or should i just get green card for an entry level of dSLR. If i were to stay with S3IS, i'm thinking should i invest in some polarizer, adapter or even lenses, knowing that these equipments wont be with me for long.There is 1 thing which is bothering me that current dSLR dont have a reversable screen. I'm just too used to S3IS's reversable screen as it really save me a lot of trouble from squatting down or shooting at awkward position.

Another thought is, maybe I should attend workshops and stop complaining about my equipment. The problem is with the photographer.

To stay on with my dslr or get an entry level of D50?

Anyone care to give me some suggestions
Have you used film SLRs before?

Firstly the foucising does not affect the size of your DOF just what you are focuing on. Yes not having a manual focus rung can be irritatin but you can force the S3 to chose 1 focus point and that shloud help more.

As suggested by other members you shloud try out a film slr first to make sure you are ready to take the leap. Also you might want to read up more in exposure and composition techniques..

I haven had any experience with SLRs, but i'm keen to know and learn more about photography. But, then, i'm not sure if i'm up to it yet. I understand the sum of investing in a dSLR. Because i'm planning for another backpacking trip in tibet, i hope to learn as much as possible before I embark on my trip.

Carrying a dSLR for travelling is pretty cumblesome? I was thinking if the standard lense can fit the bill to shoot most pictures.

Before that, I'm considering taking up photography workshops.

I think sticking to your Canon S3 will be better... it is better if you have more money for your backpacking trip. Buying a Nikon D50, even if used, might set u back $1500, with other accessories tat you might need when you have a dSLR. Brand new learning curve as well, as said by other ppl.

Standard lens is 18-55mm. A better travel lens might be 18-125mm or 18-200mm.

Travelling with a DSLR kit is pretty cubersome. And to me, heavy...

ryuggen said:
I haven had any experience with SLRs, but i'm keen to know and learn more about photography. But, then, i'm not sure if i'm up to it yet. I understand the sum of investing in a dSLR. Because i'm planning for another backpacking trip in tibet, i hope to learn as much as possible before I embark on my trip.

Carrying a dSLR for travelling is pretty cumblesome? I was thinking if the standard lense can fit the bill to shoot most pictures.

Before that, I'm considering taking up photography workshops.
Yes, go for a basic film or digital photography course first to learn more, then decide if you want to use DSLR or stick with the prosumer cam.

I started with a basic course before even getting my first film. What to do? no sponsorship of cameras. I have also got a CP5700 before getting the D50 when it comes out. I still like having a DSLR, with its better manual control and faster response time. I don't mind carrying a heavier load for travelling, cause I enjoy the process. Its a small price to pay. Of course, sometimes I do miss not having video capability...;)

wrx_sti_22b said:
I think sticking to your Canon S3 will be better... it is better if you have more money for your backpacking trip. Buying a Nikon D50, even if used, might set u back $1500, with other accessories tat you might need when you have a dSLR. Brand new learning curve as well, as said by other ppl.

Standard lens is 18-55mm. A better travel lens might be 18-125mm or 18-200mm.

Travelling with a DSLR kit is pretty cubersome. And to me, heavy...

Sorry, even buying a Nikon D50 will set you back more than $2500. Let me see what I had spent on

D50 with kit lens $1488
SB800 $630
Benro Tripod $300+
Tokina 12-24mm lens $900+
Lowepro Orion AW$87

I am still using my 70-300mm G lens that i got with my F65. And I am not one to BBB, but I consider these essential for my travelling needs. Oh yeah, also got a 2nd hand Tamron 24-300mm 185D for $200.

Even without BBB, you can still spend quite a lot. So be aware of the investment cost.

Yup, i guess an investment in the body is only a small step to better quality pictures. I was looking around the shops and some roadshows. I realised that some lense are equally costly as the body.

If i were to invest in a normal body with a good lense suiting the type of photography, I still can produce equally good photos? Now, its the body which is bugging me.

Having used the S3is and talking to some canon salesmen, the conclusion seems to stop at canon's poor quality of night photos in the consumer compact cameras. I personally have experienced pretty noisy pictures in S3is. Thats why i'm really envious of dSLR who can take really stunning photographs. Especially when i was browsing the Gallery!

Having used the S3is and talking to some canon salesmen, the conclusion seems to stop at canon's poor quality of night photos in the consumer compact cameras. I personally have experienced pretty noisy pictures in S3is. Thats why i'm really envious of dSLR who can take really stunning photographs. Especially when i was browsing the Gallery!

fuji compacts can help u with that....;) not necessarily a dslr can have a good noise control...

cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.