need some advice with MF lens for fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetylcholine

Jun 13, 2003
Visit site
finally my dad released his 'antique' underutilised FM2 for me to use tmr.. :D

anyway need advice in choosing the lens for use.
he's got 28mm f2.8 50-135(or 150mm, cant remember) and 200mm f2.8.

which 1 shld i use ?
first time getting his FM2 to play with..so....er..lack the experience
:embrass:

CAMEDIA

Sep 29, 2003
Tomato Town
acetylcholine said:

which 1 shld i use ?
Bring the 28mm f2.8 and a stable tripod. Try exposure with F11 about 5-6 sec with some building backdrops. For me, buildings seem to at the sweet spot at about F11. :) Don't bother about changing lens during the fireworks, most pple which have chicken arms and legs at that moment. :bsmilie:

Good luck :)

Toto38

Jun 17, 2004
acetylcholine said:

which 1 shld i use ?
check your lenes got any fungus or not if to long never use it ! Bring all the lenes if you can , cause your location is unknow ?

Cyberian

Mar 22, 2002
Singapore
gallery.clubsnap.com
CAMEDIA said:
Try exposure with F11 about 5-6 sec with some building backdrops. For me, buildings seem to at the sweet spot at about F11. :)
Good luck :)
This is the timing for ISO 400? Never shot night sence using iso 200 or more. If the iso is 100 exposure time between 12 to 15 secs at f8 will be good.

whoelse

Oct 17, 2003
Use a short zoom if you have. Bring a blackhat or black card, set the shutter to bulb and cover the len with the blackhat etc. Bcos the fireworks is too bright, if u use 2-3 sec the firework will have too many light trail which make the picture look messy. If you use too fast shutter, mostly background will look underexpose and not much firework. So, cover the len and when the firework burst in sky, open the hat/card quickly and coverback. Repeat a few time up to max. 8 times (roughly 8sec max) you will have nice background since the background is stationary object and less bright too and many fireworks in the sky without the effect of messy light trials. You can even set the len at 28mm etc cover it, open for firework1 , cover then set to 50mm open, then maybe 70mm etc. Then u have many layers of fireworks taken with different focus len which make it more "3D" or even "zoom" the len when not covering to have "zoom" effect etc. (know what I mean?!) but if you do this, exclude the background in the frame, just the sky and distant fireworks will do.

Argh, messy and confusing. Well if you get my point or find it useful then good :D otherwise experiment your own technique.

bigfatfish

Jan 13, 2004
acetylcholine said:

which 1 shld i use ?

I think use the 28mm and remember to bring the cable release if you intend to lock the BULB mode and do the multiexposure using a black card.

Also, use a steady tripod !

my 2cents.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
practise ur wrist flick for fast film advance, :bsmilie:

CAMEDIA

Sep 29, 2003
Tomato Town
Cyberian said:
This is the timing for ISO 400? Never shot night sence using iso 200 or more. If the iso is 100 exposure time between 12 to 15 secs at f8 will be good.
Oops, forgot to mention, I used that for ISO 100 previously. And also if possible, bring something black to cover the viewfinder - unless u r shooting from someplace dark. Also bring lots of luck as u r going to need it to capture the right moment :)

If I remember correctly, there is one article in clubsnap that gives a 101 on fireworks shooting. Go read it for some extra things tt I do not do but it may work for u :)

Hope this helps. :)

acetylcholine

Jun 13, 2003
Visit site
thanks for the advice.
think i will bring the 28mm and 50-135, lest he has other advice.
think i will be shooting frm esplanade

Status
Not open for further replies.