Need some advice on lens selection

andrewseow

Dec 25, 2008
East
Hi guys. Ive been searching and doing some research over the past few weeks, I wanna get a something which will compliment my set up now. Due to my rather tight budget. I narrowed it down to these few. I am currently using the Tamron F2.8 17-50 non VC and Canon 50mm F1.8

Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS

I find that the limit 50mm(1.6x) is too near for me : / I mostly take sports photos and some candid portraits. So fast focusing is a must for my selection.

If you guys have any other suggestions on other lenses, im very open to suggestions Im still relatively new to photography though, hence the very "noob" questions would appear time to time. hehe.

For the lenses above anyone who has used the lenses, i would love to see the photos you have taken using it

Cheers, Andrew

all 3 is f/4-5.6 so have similar characteristic. if you are serious, save up till you can get a 70-200 f2.8 for telephoto.

all 3 is f/4-5.6 so have similar characteristic. if you are serious, save up till you can get a 70-200 f2.8 for telephoto.

But in terms of IQ and AF speed?

What is your budget?

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM will be a good choice for you. I still own a Sigma 70-300mm but never use for years. the EF 70-200mm is one of best lens that Canon produce, and is the best lens among my other L lens. You can refer to some of my posting in the forums.

Cheers!

For $800 you can get a 2nd hand EF 70-200mm f/4 L.

I will value my Sigma 70-300mm for only $180, an very very expensive lens unuse.

Cheers!

Hey man. Do you have any sample pictures taken with your 70-300?

Hey man. Do you have any sample pictures taken with your 70-300?

I need to shoot some photo and email to you. You can PM me your email account, for EF 70-200mm f/4 L, you can look at my posting.

Cheers!

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM will be a good choice for you. I still own a Sigma 70-300mm but never use for years. the EF 70-200mm is one of best lens that Canon produce, and is the best lens among my other L lens. You can refer to some of my posting in the forums.

Cheers!

This is quite a legendary lens from Canon.
You wouldn't go wrong with this lens over the commercial zooms.

For faster AF speed you usually will need to look for lens with

HSM - High Speed Motor Sigma
USM - Ultra Sonic Motor Canon

As for IQ, it depends how good the copy of the lens you got. Do research on how to check for defective lenses.

Hmm 70-200 F4 L USM is a really good performer, but how much is the difference in performance between that and the one with IS ? The price difference is also a lot. :confused:

I personally use the EF-S 55-250 IS. I find it being very value for money. The IQ and focusing speed is good for a price of below $400.

If you have $700-800, go for either the EF 70-300 IS USM or the EF 70-200 L USM. If you think that you have enough funds ($1600-1700), you might want to consider the EF 70-200 L IS USM.

I find that my current lens, with IS, is even able to get usable twilight/indoor shots, which may not be possible with a lens without IS.

But ive used the 55-250mm before, IQ is good, but the it seems that after 150, it needs to hunt for abit before focusing on the subject.

There is another option and that is to use a tripod. IS can only do so much....but it cannot replace a tripod.

18-55mm + Tripod.
1058d593.jpg

18-55mm + Handheld.
f9bc3ca1.jpg

Last edited:
Its okay. ;) anyway thanks for your examples. So maybe i dont need to spend so much and just get the 70-200F4L USM and a tripod :think:

Its okay. ;) anyway thanks for your examples. So maybe i dont need to spend so much and just get the 70-200F4L USM and a tripod :think:

Very very good choice, you will love the pictures produce by the 70-200mm f/4 L and enjoy your shooting.

Cheers!