Need some advice on event shooting and flash usage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackNg

Nov 16, 2007
Yishun, Singapore
So i've been tasked to help my unit (I'm an SAF Reg) shoot some pictures for their XXth Anniversary. Initially i had refused cos i felt i'm not up to the standard but i gave in after my encik's persisent requests...

So here goes, is there anything to look out for when shooting indoor like a restaurant? The most important thing is the group photo, i just bought my A100 with dual kit lens and i understand the built-in flash can only provide sufficient lighting to a certain distance, is there anyway i can push the flash's limits?

I apologize if this has been talked about but kinda in a hurry...:sweat: Advice very much appreciated.

Well...the pop up flash can help to an extent...but if you arent careful what u will get is very flat lighting. that will just look like someone taking with a PnS cam. what i used to do when i was shooting with pop -up flash is to shoot with iso at say 600~800 have shutter btw 15~30 and power the flash down by abt 2 stops sometimes 3. that way you get more natural looking lighting. just play around with the settings. im not too sure about sony's high iso abilities but yeah.

oh yah i dunno why but i like to have it on rear-curtain sync. somehow for me turns out nicer. and when using pop-up dont use lens hood.

Hi Jack,

when and where is the event held? I have a cheap flash which is workable on your A100 and I don't mind lending it to you for the event. However, you would need a bounce card as the flash will always fire at full power and bouncing the flash may be a better choice since it's indoor. Do drop me a PM if you're keen. ;)

So i've been tasked to help my unit (I'm an SAF Reg) shoot some pictures for their XXth Anniversary. Initially i had refused cos i felt i'm not up to the standard but i gave in after my encik's persisent requests...

So here goes, is there anything to look out for when shooting indoor like a restaurant? The most important thing is the group photo, i just bought my A100 with dual kit lens and i understand the built-in flash can only provide sufficient lighting to a certain distance, is there anyway i can push the flash's limits?

I apologize if this has been talked about but kinda in a hurry...:sweat: Advice very much appreciated.

My 2cents -> "Shoot & review, adjust & re-shoot"

You'd need to practise on how the effects are before the actual event.

@Galdor: Thanks for the offer Galdor but the event is tomorrow morning and im on duty until night before going home.

@blazer_workz : I wish i can do that but when u have so many eyes staring at you and inside of them just thinking "shoot faster la want to go home earlier" i don't think i have too much time to review and shoot again and again lol...

@stupidbloke: my concern is that the light can reach the group resulting in underexposing, let's pray there's sufficient lighting at the restaurant itself... Oh my event is Fort Canning The Legends, Anniversary for a naval formation...

@Galdor: Thanks for the offer Galdor but the event is tomorrow morning and im on duty until night before going home.

@blazer_workz : I wish i can do that but when u have so many eyes staring at you and inside of them just thinking "shoot faster la want to go home earlier" i don't think i have too much time to review and shoot again and again lol...

@stupidbloke: my concern is that the light can reach the group resulting in underexposing, let's pray there's sufficient lighting at the restaurant itself... Oh my event is Fort Canning The Legends, Anniversary for a naval formation...

Bump up the ISO if required... this will use less flash power.

Tell ur encik to give u early release to prepare for tml shoot..need to charge batteries, format media cards, clean lens, clean sensor..:bsmilie:

Tell ur encik to give u early release to prepare for tml shoot..need to charge batteries, format media cards, clean lens, clean sensor..:bsmilie:

Then he'll say "If the pictures turn out crappy you do double duty":cry:

then if nice get extra day off :D

But seriously if you can get the ext flash that would really help... cause pop up flash will really be quite "harsh".

put it to -2 at least and if you iso can be turned up to 800 without much noise... keep it there... you'll be able to capture more ambient light and thus making the picture "nicer"

Good luck :p

Encik : OK Jack take tomorrow off! Only can take tomorrow hor! Good pictures! /pat
Jack : But tomorrow is Saturday... :cry:

so it tmr or sat?
unless yr encik sit like manequinn and u can hand held at slow synch speed.....u going to have a hard time shooting..:cry:
this is the opportunity to buy yrself a external flash.

else take galdor offer, if not u might will kick yrself for not taking it up.

Then he'll say "If the pictures turn out crappy you do double duty":cry:

then u remind ur encik its an offence to put someone on duty for more than 12 hours shift..its either u do duty or u cover photoshoot..;p:bsmilie:

Dun worry so much..like wat most brudders recommend here..try bumping ur ISO to 400 and above..and use the widest aperture lens u have..but do note that for group shoot try to maintain at least f5.6 for DOF..

My 3rd cents for u -> "Worry and u get lousy shots, be confident and ur shots turn out nice."

Seriously, tell your I/C, CO G1 or G whatever or whoever's in charge that you NEED to get the equipment issues settled, and NEED time to do a test shoot. Be sure to mention that you have NEVER done this before, and can't guarantee results, so ANY extra time you can grab to borrow equipment and at the same time consult your photog buddies may help.

If it's important enough, they will usually find someone to cover for you. These kind of things must know how to zai zai (sp???) a bit la.

so it tmr or sat?
unless yr encik sit like manequinn and u can hand held at slow synch speed.....u going to have a hard time shooting..:cry:
this is the opportunity to buy yrself a external flash.

else take galdor offer, else u will kick yrself for not taking it up.

I would get the Formation or whoever to sponsor the flash, or at least pay for the rental of one.

Thanks for the constructive opinions here ;D As im the 2IC of this small branch and the lack of manpower in my unit very hard to get a replacement for me. I'm the kakia and supervisor at the same time lolx.

Anyway i'll take the advice of bumping up the ISO and do some testing when i get home later.
Haiz if the HVL-F56AM a little cheaper i wouldn't have so much headache hahaha.... Last week i was ogling it at SonyStyle IMM and brought a stack of 50 dollar notes ready to buy when my GF's face black like charcoal hahaha...

GF: HUH?!?!? 700 bucks for a flash?!?!How many thousands more you want to spend on your Dslr???
Jack : ...

Take up Galdor's offer if you can, a bounced external flash will help a lot for such indoor events.

Whatever the case (external or built-in flahs), since group photos are going to be your KPI, get some guys to pose for you before the event starts, and keep experimenting different settings on them till you get the exposure right, so you won't be so stressed out tweaking your settings during the real thing!

I'll get some guys to let me do some test shots for the dry run before the event thanks ;D

rental?

go rent a flash and maybe a wide angle?
the first time i did an event shoot,i found out that going to the venue early(i went like 4 hrs earlier, abit kiasu, but i dont wanna screw up) paid dividends.

i was able to get my white balence and settings correct and able to see the lighting conditions WAYYYYY before hand. so i was quite prepared. it also gave me time to check my stuff thoroughly!

if i were you i would do what my mentor told me to"underpromise, overdeliver"

You're always welcome to drop by my place & grab the flash if you need bro. Anyway, try to be there earlier as suggested by other bros here to get the settings right first. Normally, I try to be at least 30-60mins earlier to get adjusted to the lightings & set up my gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.