Need some advice on Camera Backpack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex13717421

Aug 1, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hello, I'm planning a backpacking trip through england > Norway > Sweden and i'm looking for a good backpack to bring along.

My requirements:
1)Sufficient protection for my camera gear
D90
4-5 lens
flash
All the other accessories, i.e. filters, cleaning kit, charger etc etc
2)15'' Laptop and charger etc.
3)Space for CLOTHES and other stuff i want to bring with.
4)i know with some coms cord, i can attach the tripod hahaha so it won't matter.

I do not want to carry a separate camera bag, or clothing bag =X. Since i'll be carring all my stuff around most of the time. This trip would last about 1-2 months, depending when i get sick of sleeping in train stations.

I've looked around ALOT the past 3 weeks, and i've only seen 1-2 bags which comes close to what i'm looking for. The Lowepro Rover Plus AW. It has a bottom camera compartment which is sufficient for my gear and has a compartment (which i still find too small) to keep my other stuff. And it doesn't have laptop section.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any good camping/backpacking bag which is 40-60L and has a camera compartment? haha i know this is a long shot, but oh well.

I also looked at Crumpler 's The Karachi Outpost, but seriously i don't think i'll have enuff space to keep my spare underwear with so much stuff to bring.

The very most i'm willing to carry extra is a holster with another lens inside. Is wrapping my other lens in clothes a viable option? What do you think, and how will you manage packing for such a long trip? Thanks for your imput. ~

Forget the clothes, and a Fastpack 350 should do the trick.

Hello, I'm planning a backpacking trip through england > Norway > Sweden and i'm looking for a good backpack to bring along.

My requirements:
D90
4-5 lens
flash
4)i know with some coms cord, i can attach the tripod hahaha so it won't matter.

I do not want to carry a separate camera bag, or clothing bag =X. Since i'll be carring all my stuff around most of the time. This trip would last about 1-2 months, depending when i get sick of sleeping in train stations.

I've looked around ALOT the past 3 weeks, and i've only seen 1-2 bags which comes close to what i'm looking for. The Lowepro Rover Plus AW. It has a bottom camera compartment which is sufficient for my gear and has a compartment (which i still find too small) to keep my other stuff. And it doesn't have laptop section.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any good camping/backpacking bag which is 40-60L and has a camera compartment? haha i know this is a long shot, but oh well.

I also looked at Crumpler 's The Karachi Outpost, but seriously i don't think i'll have enuff space to keep my spare underwear with so much stuff to bring.

The very most i'm willing to carry extra is a holster with another lens inside. Is wrapping my other lens in clothes a viable option? What do you think, and how will you manage packing for such a long trip? Thanks for your imput. ~

You bring a laptop when you go camping?

not a viable option i'm afraid...

It's not camping le... it's up to 2 months of backpacking. =X

and yeah i do need some advice for this... if not i think i can wrap my clothes around lens liao. haha

not a viable option i'm afraid...

It's not camping le... it's up to 2 months of backpacking. =X

Sorry I OT here. I have no experience to contribute to your question regarding the bestest and biggest backpack for your camera and non-photographic stuffs.
But what I want to say is you are very courageous to go backpacking away from life for two months. I would love to be able to do that. But unfortunately situations do not allow.
I wish you best of luck Complex13717421. Keep your life simple... not too Complex... ok?

The Clik elite looks pretty good, but the problem is getting hold of one. haha. I think my current option is to get a rover plus or Rover II and remove the camera case, and put the case into my 75L backpack. haha. I'll post something once i figure out how to work it =X

The Clik elite looks pretty good, but the problem is getting hold of one. haha. I think my current option is to get a rover plus or Rover II and remove the camera case, and put the case into my 75L backpack. haha. I'll post something once i figure out how to work it =X

Why is it a problem getting hold of one? There's a local distro for this product, and they have a piece of the Large Hiker with them. Link to details here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559120

How about the Lowepro Compurover AW? Its just like the Rover AW but with a laptop compartment.

How about a backpack for your clothes and a beltpack for your camera stuff?

2 months of backpacking is quite long and you need to pack really really light if you are looking for a camera/backpack combo. It's well worth checking out the Clik Elite Large Hiker as it appears to be the biggest and most well equipped combo bag I've seen. I won't recommend the Fastpacks for such long trips mainly because it doesn't provide proper support and the top section is suitable for day trips at best. In fact I don't think any of the current Lowepro/Crumpler/Thinktank products are suitable for your needs.

Note that this isn't a plug for the Clik Elite, I've not tried the bag but have made quite an extensive search for such bags myself in the past from these few brands and have not found a suitable one yet. Either too small or no proper back support or it doesn't come with space for my other stuff.

The other alternative I've seen is to get a good backpack and adopt the chest harness approach. Use a toploader from Lowepro (or whatever brand you fancy) and clip it to the backpack. Downside is that access to your other lenses and accessories would be a little hard since there would be in your backpack. The advantage of this approach is the flexibility in how you can maximise the space in the bag since you won't be limited by the "compartment for camera, compartment for other stuff" design.

I use a Compuprimus. It is huge but very comfortable to carry. If you have a lot of clothing, maybe a foldable sling bag for extra clothing may work (like a LeSportsbag).

Hi

sounds like a beast to carry. Why not junk the laptop and bring your D90 with a nice all in one zoom? Much easier for backpacking, and you have less stuff to be nicked.

Cheers

My requirements:
D90
4-5 lens
flash

I recommend Vanguard Uprise 48.. It has what you need...

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-4-34.html

what about the mega national geographic ones..

sure theyre pricey... but authentic and i bet they would last a lifetime haha

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks limwhow for your concern!!

The vanguard bags are interesting. I'll take look!
Yeah i've done some research on the NGC earth explorer bags, USD$300ish for the big one... and it seems like it's not a very good bag either.

The Clik Elite bags looks damn awesome, but yeah hard to find here. The closest distributor is in Philippines... Well they have another distributor in Netherlands so i can go molest some there! haha.

I'll post my findings soon, going to be rather busy these few days.
Thanks again for all the advice.

There is a local distro for Clik Elite actually. Manda Photo or something. Think Vulpixor has the address.

Man... i need to pay more attention to what i'm reading...

Thanks vulpixor for the suggestion, but i think i have a solution already. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.