Need some advice for film negative scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
I'm going to get some old negatives from a friend to retrieve my old travel pictures from Nepal. Have the idea of converting into digital format for further processing and editing on the camera, i'm looking for a negative scanner that is able to provide quality scan (i'm used to processing raw format from my 6MP DSLR).

Have a split decision between giving it to the shops to process versus doing it myself with relativity to cost effectiveness and time investment. I'm worried that the shops will not entertain requests with regards to quality as we know how some of them work in today's time - ppl just want easy money.

It will be about 10+rolls, potentially more. They are from old compact film camera, so should be 35mm in size (i guess). I'm not exactly sure how much that will cost for shop to convert but they are probably going to cost hundreds of dollars.

plouging thru the old threads on search, there are recommendations for epson v700 which cost abt close to S$900 and some about canon 8800F which should be about $300-400. that is probably what i can afford and won't consider more than 1K. my initial budget works up to $400-600, and thinking of selling it off after working on it (i dun shoot film). i hope it dun have to be something i spend all the time on for scanning, but at the same time hope to good enough quality for the scan, at an avoidable price point of abt $500, is that a bit too much to ask for?

i wonder if anyone can advise on regards on that.

Scan yourself. For noritsu Lab machines, the scanning quality has been getting worse with every software upgrade.

Try to find a used film scanner on the CS buy/sell forums and do it yourself. It's gonna take some trial and error, but if your photos (film) are precious to you, it will be worth it. When I switched to digital some years ago I promptly bought myself a film scanner so I could 'digitize' the more important negative images I've accumulated over the years.
The biggest benefit for me is the ability to restore, correct and enhance them in PS:)

I'm going to get some old negatives from a friend to retrieve my old travel pictures from Nepal. Have the idea of converting into digital format for further processing and editing on the camera, i'm looking for a negative scanner that is able to provide quality scan (i'm used to processing raw format from my 6MP DSLR).

Have a split decision between giving it to the shops to process versus doing it myself with relativity to cost effectiveness and time investment. I'm worried that the shops will not entertain requests with regards to quality as we know how some of them work in today's time - ppl just want easy money.

It will be about 10+rolls, potentially more. They are from old compact film camera, so should be 35mm in size (i guess). I'm not exactly sure how much that will cost for shop to convert but they are probably going to cost hundreds of dollars.

plouging thru the old threads on search, there are recommendations for epson v700 which cost abt close to S$900 and some about canon 8800F which should be about $300-400. that is probably what i can afford and won't consider more than 1K. my initial budget works up to $400-600, and thinking of selling it off after working on it (i dun shoot film). i hope it dun have to be something i spend all the time on for scanning, but at the same time hope to good enough quality for the scan, at an avoidable price point of abt $500, is that a bit too much to ask for?

i wonder if anyone can advise on regards on that.

i bought an entry level Konica Minolta Scan Dual IV early last year for scanning my slides, the quality is quite decent at a very affordable price ($300?). i sold it off after i completed the digitization process.

perhaps you can ask around in the forum, someone might be able to lend/rent you a unit since it won't take you too long for processing 10 rolls of negative. it should save you a lot of hassle for buying and selling it used later.

there is one unit for rental. i think it is under consumer or services provided.

thank, guys, will check out the rental

Status
Not open for further replies.