Need recommendations for lens (for travel usage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
I bought a Fuji S1 Pro 2nd hand from someone. Included in the package is a Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8D, and a AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6D. Are these two lens sufficient for most usage - especially for vacation and travel? Any recommendations for lens that I should get?

As I understand it, the D70 kit lens is an AF-S lens right? According to Fujifilm's website, the S1 Pro is not compatible with AF-S lens. Cannot autofocus

does the S1 Pro suffer from crop factor?
It depends on what and how you like to shoot.

How about a 50mm F1.8

Sorry, me newbie don't know what is crop factor.

I like to shoot both landscapes and macros, some portraits as well. Apologies for my ignorance, but if I have the 24mm, do I still need a 50mm? And what is the significance of the F2.8 vs the F1.8?

If the AFS 18-70 cannot use then i would recommend a range of say 24 or 28-80mm. If you can afford, get the f2.8 version from Nikon (S$2000+), Tokina (800?) or Sigma (About the same as tokina i think..).

24mm is wide and 50mm is standard, it is not the same.
difference is extra light,so that means faster shutter speed and less dof

a lot depends on wat u want to take. for certain shoots, I even use 200 prime lens and sometimes a EF-S 10-22. for max flexibility, get a zoom lens like sigma 18-125, sigma/tamron 18-200, or Nikon AF-S 18-70 (if it works). but the quality might be slightly inferior to prime lenses.

red_ryder said:
Sorry, me newbie don't know what is crop factor.

Sorry, me wondering...
why u buy the cam in the 1st place?
becoz it's a digital camera?

Would really like to hear from u...

Well, I've had film cameras over the years but seldom took pictures because of the cost in developing. Ever since I got my Canon S45 2 yrs ago, I have taken 10 times more pictures than I have ever taken my whole life. But I stil rarely develop my photos. So I definitely prefer digital. Can experiment with different exposure settings and compositions without fear.

Why did I buy the DSLR? Mainly because it was an unbeatable deal, dirt cheap. However, since I'm new to SLRs, got a lot of terminology to learn. Like the term crop factor. I mean, only recently then I found out that 24mm lens is equivalent to 36mm in a digital camera. And only in this thread then I know that effect is called "Crop Factor".

Since u're new to SLRs, should 1st tell u that photography is not cheap.

My advice is try to know more about the lenses 1st before spending more $ on them. Do not buy 1 then find out that u prefer another.

I got the zoom lens and wide angle lens as part of the package. Don't even know if I need any other lens. That's why I'm posting here. Right now, my concern is not so much on lens quality but budget and flexibility. If the 24mm and the 70-200mm is good enough for most applications, then I won't buy any more lens.

budget should never be a concern when buying lenses. Else u'll find that U'll change to a better 1 very soon.

Could you elaborate please? What do you mean by a better lens? Sharpness? Better color?

perhaps sell the 24mm and get something like a tamron di 20-70 lo....or my all time fav...tokina atx pro II

A Nikon AF20-35mm f2.8 is the best for travel. For group photo when using at 20mm and at 35mm for a person with some scenery(as standard lens). Most possibly, you will not be using the 70-210mm cause you won't want to take a person photo with 'Blur' background.

Status
Not open for further replies.