Need Recommendation Regarding Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeeK-

Jun 9, 2008
Singapore
Hello Fellow CSers,

I started photography a few months back and the passion is growing stronger and stronger with each click of the camera ;)

My equipment list is as shown on my siggy.

Now comes my concerns,

The Sigma 28-300mm works perfectly fine. However, due to the advantage of the zoom, I feel that the IQ is compromised. Hence, the IQ of the images that I view when I see on the computer is somewhat disappointing.

For indoor shots with this lens, I know this could be due to the lack of proper lighting.

My proposed solutions

1. Get a flash - 580 EX II
  2. Sell the Sigma, top up, and get another lens

Which one of these solutions would you guys recommend ? Other solutions would be gladly appreciated as well ;)

Last edited:
Erm just saved the siggy so didnt show up in the last post. Here it is now :cool:

yupz. think you need a flash too. :)

Don't need an expensive one though... a relatively low-power flash will suffice indoors :think:

get a flash

yupz. think you need a flash too. :)

Don't need an expensive one though... a relatively low-power flash will suffice indoors :think:

Thanks for the replies, however lets say the situation is in a restaurant, and I would like to take pictures. I cant just keep taking pictures with the flash isnt it ? It would be kinda inconsiderate I guess :confused:

Of course a flash will be great but now the thing is, do you guys think that there is a need to change my lens ? Sell away my 28-300mm and get one with a specific range perhaps ?

My main concern is the IQ. From what I see is that my lens advantage is the big zoom factor. However, its lacking in the IQ department. Am I right to say this ?

My main concern is the IQ. From what I see is that my lens advantage is the big zoom factor. However, its lacking in the IQ department. Am I right to say this ?

It is a compromise for the great degree of flexibility and convenience. But modern zooms IQ also is not so terribly bad until you cannot take shots la.

I know my 18-200mm will not be on par with my 70-200mm, but i still got it subsequently for a neat travelling and convenient lens

Is the lacking of IQ so glaring ?
Got samples to show us ?

Ryan

Well some pictures :embrass: After resizing...

img2634resizeti2.jpg

img4907resizeac4.jpg

Thanks for the replies, however lets say the situation is in a restaurant, and I would like to take pictures. I cant just keep taking pictures with the flash isnt it ? It would be kinda inconsiderate I guess :confused:

Of course a flash will be great but now the thing is, do you guys think that there is a need to change my lens ? Sell away my 28-300mm and get one with a specific range perhaps ?

Anyone ? More suggestions ?

no offense, but after viewing your pic, i think the problem lies with the photographer.

dun immediately blame the equipment.

check your own fundamentals first.

no offense, but after viewing your pic, i think the problem lies with the photographer.

dun immediately blame the equipment.

check your own fundamentals first.

Dont worry, non taken.

Well I understand those were not my best shots or so. But my concern is, having such a large zoom 28-300mm, IQ will be compromised right ?

Since my concern here is IQ, should I give up the 28-300mm and move on to something else ?
Besides my own photography skills (which I am honing), when it comes it IQ, I'm sure the equipment plays a part too ?

when strictly comparing lens (photography skills aside), of course there is a difference.

but when comparing, cant jus say good/no good.

there must be a basis for comparison.

your 28-300, i assume, is a relatively new lens, designed in recent years. with all the modern technology, i am quite sure that blowing up to super8R is no issue at all.

if ppl 50 yrs ago can produce sharp photos with uncoated lens, dun see how the sigma can be inferior.

also, sound fundamentals are critical in bringing out the max of the equipment.

eg

1. stop down a stop or 2 if possible
2. use a tripod when shutter gets too slow or shooting at tele end
3. avoid the extreme tele end, which may be "soft" relative to the other focal length. also, shooting through all the atmosphere when using long tele will soften image.
4. expose correctly, so your photo will be crisp and not muddy
5. shoot when the light is good

*u also ve the 50 1.8, rite?

why not shoot a scene with it and the sigma zoom at 50mm, and share w us your findings.

Last edited:
Agreed with as above post. Shoot in good lightings conditions and use tripod if possible, use fast shutter speeds to counteract your shaky hands and take note of your point of focus. All in all dont worry too much, just take more pictures. Your skill will improve in time to come.

when strictly comparing lens (photography skills aside), of course there is a difference.

but when comparing, cant jus say good/no good.

there must be a basis for comparison.

your 28-300, i assume, is a relatively new lens, designed in recent years. with all the modern technology, i am quite sure that blowing up to super8R is no issue at all.

if ppl 50 yrs ago can produce sharp photos with uncoated lens, dun see how the sigma can be inferior.

also, sound fundamentals are critical in bringing out the max of the equipment.

eg

1. stop down a stop or 2 if possible
2. use a tripod when shutter gets too slow or shooting at tele end
3. avoid the extreme tele end, which may be "soft" relative to the other focal length. also, shooting through all the atmosphere when using long tele will soften image.
4. expose correctly, so your photo will be crisp and not muddy
5. shoot when the light is good

*u also ve the 50 1.8, rite?

why not shoot a scene with it and the sigma zoom at 50mm, and share w us your findings.

Agreed with as above post. Shoot in good lightings conditions and use tripod if possible, use fast shutter speeds to counteract your shaky hands and take note of your point of focus. All in all dont worry too much, just take more pictures. Your skill will improve in time to come.

Thanks guys for your feedback, appreciate it :)

Will do a test with the 50 f/1.8 and post back here.

Will snap more and improve my skills in the meantime too :sweat:

good IQ in bad light will give you a better IQ image still in bad light

good light with kits lens will give you nice picture, even from a P&S camera

learn to "see" and get the photographer's eye before buying anything else

good IQ in bad light will give you a better IQ image still in bad light

good light with kits lens will give you nice picture, even from a P&S camera

learn to "see" and get the photographer's eye before buying anything else

Point Noted!

Lighting is important.
Will read up more on it and do some practicals :bsmilie:

Did some tests. Pardon the lighting as it was natural lighting. Sky was darker and hence, little darker during the 50mm test :p

Test_f22_28-300.png

Test_f22_50.png

Test_f8_28-300.png

Test_f8_50.png

Test_f4.5_28-300.png

Test_f4.5_50.png

The Sigma, at 50mm with the lowest aperature of f/4.5 seems soft ?

Just for you to note:
Doing such tests requires a 100% crop to see the diff.

The Sigma, at 50mm with the lowest aperature of f/4.5 seems soft ?

Other than lens image quality, the other cause of "softness" is Depth of Field which obviously would be a factor since you're shooting quite near distance with a large aperture.

Anyway, a flash is not a substitute for a better lens and vice versa because the imaging effects between flashing and using a faster and better lens are very different. ............such as light direction, casting of shadows and the relative brightness and colors of things.

So which equipment to get depends on what you want in the image and the light condition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.