Need recommendation-P&S that can function as webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.

poh6702

May 8, 2004
Hi,

Need recommendation for a simple (low end) P&S digital camera that must have Webcam function. My primary use is to capture photo of a person and integrate it with the software to print badges. I find those webcams quality are not good enough and without zoom. I have borrowed a Fuji F420 from a friend to test and it meets my requirement.

As you know to capture and print photo on badges, it doesn't need high Pixel count, it should have zoom, built-in flash and USB connection.

Thanks in advance for recommendation.

:dunno::dunno:

poh6702 said:
Hi,

Need recommendation for a simple (low end) P&S digital camera that must have Webcam function. My primary use is to capture photo of a person and integrate it with the software to print badges. I find those webcams quality are not good enough and without zoom. I have borrowed a Fuji F420 from a friend to test and it meets my requirement.

As you know to capture and print photo on badges, it doesn't need high Pixel count, it should have zoom, built-in flash and USB connection.

Thanks in advance for recommendation.

I do think that most P&S camera have this function. However, many people do not actual use them or do not know their camera has this function. Perhaps you may make your way down to AP this wkend to check it out.

Take note that you'll need to get a tripod to mount it for your use.

Most cameras won't have that function as powering the CCD/CMOS sensor for extended periods of time will generate a lot of heat. You're better off spending another $30-50 on a real webcam.

n0d3 said:
Most cameras won't have that function as powering the CCD/CMOS sensor for extended periods of time will generate a lot of heat. You're better off spending another $30-50 on a real webcam.
It is used to take photo of employees and add the photo into the badge printing software, as you can see the photo size on an employee badge is smaller than 1" by 0.7", taking the picture with hand holding will be good enough. And it is not going to be use for video conferencing, heating of CCD is not a problem.

Another solution is to take the picture and download, but too troublesome. As I have mentioned the Fuji F420 works but that belongs to my friend and you can't buy it from shops anymore. For company used, can't buy second hand item because how to claim??? Went down to Parisilk, the guy recommend the Minolta X60, he was very sure that it has webcam function, but the price is abit high at about $4++. I checked my Fuji 602Z, it also have the webcam funciton, but that is my personal item, not willing to contribute to the company.

Went to the Canon Website found the A410/A510 has the PTP setting in the USB setting, not sure what is this?? Anyone know? Becaus usually, it is either "Mass storage", "pictbridge" or "Web cam", but see PTP in the spec. Is this Webcam function??

Can anyone help? what is PTP? I know it stands for Picture transfer Protocol, but what actually is it?? The Canon A410 is selling for about $260 in Parisilk, if it works, that is ideal price.

You can't use Canon cameras as webcams, been there, tried that.

I think what you're looking for is tethered shooting. Where you hook up the camera to the computer and use software to capture the image. I think Canon's "Remote Capture" supports the A410/510 but both cameras only support USB 1.1 which is going to be a pain in the ass since its going to take forever to transfer the photos. The A6** series supports USB 2.0 though but thats going to be out of your budget.

PTP is just a way of the camera communicating with the OS without the need for additional drivers.

Wait so if it isn't for video conferencing then why did you mention webcam? And it sounds like you're just using it to take badge photos so why not just get a cheapo webcam and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

n0d3 said:
You can't use Canon cameras as webcams, been there, tried that.

I think what you're looking for is tethered shooting. Where you hook up the camera to the computer and use software to capture the image. I think Canon's "Remote Capture" supports the A410/510 but both cameras only support USB 1.1 which is going to be a pain in the ass since its going to take forever to transfer the photos. The A6** series supports USB 2.0 though but thats going to be out of your budget.

PTP is just a way of the camera communicating with the OS without the need for additional drivers.

Wait so if it isn't for video conferencing then why did you mention webcam? And it sounds like you're just using it to take badge photos so why not just get a cheapo webcam and save yourself a few hundred dollars.
Bought a Creative webcam, it works well with the software, but the picture quality for badge photo was bad. I mentioned webcam is because that is what the software can work with easily, and Fuji 602z and F420 both webcam setting works.

I also don't want to buy the camera and end up it is not suitable. If don't get any help by tomorrow noon, will go to Parisilk to buy the Canon A410, if it works, that is great, if not working then go back and top up for the Minolta X60.

Status
Not open for further replies.