Need recommendation for good tripod head

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUZ_BUZ

Aug 25, 2006
Hi,

I have been using Manfrotto 190Pro + 486RC2 ball head for a year.
It works perfectly with my D70s + 18-70mm kit lens.

But, when I tried to put the D70s + AFS 300mm f/4 + 2x Converter
on this tripod setup, I find the the ball head tends to creep ( drift from the locking postion ).
So bad that I have to aim off from the subject when I lock it, and hopefully it settled at my intended subject .

I am looking for a better ball head or others tripod head for my current setup.
I've done some search and found that there are some very good brand such as Wimberley,
Arca-Swiss B1, Kirk BH-1, Markins M-10 etc. But these tripod head are very expensive and beyond my budget.

Any recommdation ?
Anyone tried the Giottos or Benro ballhead and have a good model to recommend ?
My budget would be around $200 plus minus.

Thanks in advance.

i just got myself a Superball M1.. :thumbsup: good stuff and really locks well.

I'm using the manfrotto 488RC0. Big, rated at 8 kg and about $150 IIRC.

I have been using this ballhead for more than 2 years, still an excellent ballhead. Foba stuff is :thumbsup: . If I'm not wrong CP is still selling it at around $260.

Thanks brother, good info. for me. :)

Just to add on abit,

Anyone tried the BENRO KS-1 or KB-1 ballbead ?

Any feedback ?

Thanks.

Hi there, I'm using unknown brand -STEIN ZEISERwith ball head.Later on I bought Manfrotto 141RC Pan Head & fits well and solid.I tested it by attaching D200+batt.grip+80-200mm lens+SB800 speedlite.Looks & feel solid.

Stein Zeiser Tripod with Manfrotto 141RC Pan Head.Its very solid 4 above combi.Price in Malaysian ringgit:Tripod+ball head = RM350-00. with 141RC Pan Head add another RM220-00 total RM570-00.That amount I think could fit your SGD budget.

ClubSnap-02.jpg

Actually, if you have a long prime lens, why don't you consider investing in a really good/trustworthy head.. I'm also in the same situation as you, and may be sonsidering saving the extra $$$$ to get a better head..... Would mind if I was only using a light lens.....

Imagine the 'cheap' head slips and cause damage to the lens and/or body??

Juz my 2c...

Thanks jamalludin_mohd and Hein.

Don't forget that with the high-end heads, you may need to buy new camera/lens plates (eg. Arca-Swiss dovetail style). These will range from $50-100 each, so you need to factor that in.

Having said that, I'm using a Kangrinpoche NB-2A, and it's rock solid with anything I use on it. Along with the Arca-Swiss, Markins, etc, heads, it's one of the ultimate, ie. unless you need something specialized like a Wimberley head, it'll be useful for most of your needs for years.

High initial cost, but you won't need to change ballheads for a very long time, and it won't creep on you no matter what angle your gear is sitting on the ballhead. Imagine being able to move the camera into any position, take your hands off, and it'll remain in that exact position until you move it again.

For manfrotto, a 488rc0 will be good enough. But if you got extra cash, get the 468mgrc0.
The MG series employs a revolutionary friction and locking mechanism which prevent situation of slip(forward/backward) of heavy camera setup when you release the locking mechanism completely. Max weight is 16kg.

Just to add on abit,

Anyone tried the BENRO KS-1 or KB-1 ballbead ?

Any feedback ?

Thanks.

I am using the Benro KS-1. I've been using it with my old Nikon F3 and 300mm AiS lens that is made from real metal stuff and super heavy compared to present lenses. So far, the KS-1 has never given me any problem. It is rated at 12 kg and is rock solid.

I just bought the Benro KS-1 yesterday from Alan Photo in SLS. Since I know the salesman, I paid $170.00 for it.

The ballhead replaces my old Manfrotto 35RC2 that I bought 5 years ago. I have not used it in the field yet but my first impression was one of excellent quality for the price that I paid.

Actually I was looking for the KS-0 because I think it would be a great match for my Gitzo G1129M2, lighter (for travelling) and can carry 8 kg but they did not have this model. Anyway, the KS-1 fits my tripod.

You can also visit MS Colour. I think they sell Benro too. Or you can take a look at the Buy/Sell Mass Order forum where there is a guy who sells Benro products.

Status
Not open for further replies.