Need precious opinion on Sigma 50mm F/1.4 & Canon 50mm F/1.4?

BigBaby

Feb 16, 2011
Earth
Hi guys I need your precious opinion on which 50mm Prime to get between this 2 lens. Looking for a better lens to upgrade my current Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II. Thanks.
1) Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM
2) Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

If your priority is between F/1.4 and F/2.8, go for the sigma. Sigma is quite a bit heavier, more expensive, has better bokeh, and wide-open sharpness.
I think it's the better 50 especially on APSc.

My Canon EF50/1.4 had some mechanical problems and this is not that uncommon for the model.
I'm sticking to it partly because I'm using FF and seldom need to shoot at 1.4, and by 2.2 it's pretty good already. For similar angle of view of 50 on APSc, I'm using 85/1.8 and it's much better mechanically and optically.

If your priority is between F/1.4 and F/2.8, go for the sigma. Sigma is quite a bit heavier, more expensive, has better bokeh, and wide-open sharpness.
I think it's the better 50 especially on APSc.

My Canon EF50/1.4 had some mechanical problems and this is not that uncommon for the model.
I'm sticking to it partly because I'm using FF and seldom need to shoot at 1.4, and by 2.2 it's pretty good already. For similar angle of view of 50 on APSc, I'm using 85/1.8 and it's much better mechanically and optically.

Yeah I agree with you. Saw some sample pics between the 2 lenses the Sigma got better Bokeh compared to Canon. I think is because of Sigma is 9 rounded aperture blades. Sad to hear your Canon 50mm lens got problem. Is it still under 1yr warranty?

Opinions are biased and based on personal experience that may be totally inapplicable to you. Therefore not that precious.

But the ability to read reviews is much more precious:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/521-sigma50f1450d

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/159-canon-ef-50mm-f14-usm-test-report--review

Thanks Rashkae for the links. After looking at the reviews it really gave me a better idea.

the sigma is definitely better wide open up to about 2.8 after which the results would be pretty close to the canon 50 1.4

Yeah I agree with you. Saw some sample pics between the 2 lenses the Sigma got better Bokeh compared to Canon. I think is because of Sigma is 9 rounded aperture blades. Sad to hear your Canon 50mm lens got problem. Is it still under 1yr warranty?

5 or 6 year old already, not totally unexpected.
Aperture blade does have its part to play in bokeh shape but wide-open bokeh quality is more to do with optical design.

I don't favor the Canon 50mm f/1.4.

canon is easier to sell?

canon is easier to sell?

Is he a photographer or a shop owner? I'm guessing you're the latter if that's your main concern.

Is he a photographer or a shop owner? I'm guessing you're the latter if that's your main concern.

i beg to differ..
after i started in june'10,
i have change a total of 05 lens!
reason is, after shooting for awhile, i realise my forte and interest,
my needs changed.
therefore a change in lens.
and through selling, i also realised that my canon sell easier and faster.
no, i am not a shop owner,
neither am i a trader for lens.

i beg to differ..
after i started in june'10,
i have change a total of 05 lens!
reason is, after shooting for awhile, i realise my forte and interest,
my needs changed.
therefore a change in lens.
and through selling, i also realised that my canon sell easier and faster.
no, i am not a shop owner,
neither am i a trader for lens.

To me that shows a lack of research before buying... you could have rented instead.

To me that shows a lack of research before buying... you could have rented instead.

we could have started a brand new thread on this...
i did my research,
thoroughly in fact.
i'm new, thus, interested in everything.
got the best lens i could afford.
sold them after 3 months for a loss of about $200-300.
is that consider better than renting?
i think not.

My experience with Sig 50f1.4 is not good (focusing issue). It happen to my other Nikon friend too.

It's sigma... you need to calibrate it to get the lens shines.

Calibration may not 100% solve the problem. I rather to skip this lens.

The Sigma suffers from focus shift issues, the issue on the Canon is not as great.

Is it all Sigma lens need to calibrate to your camera body in order to get the sharpness?

Is it all Sigma lens need to calibrate to your camera body in order to get the sharpness?

nope.. not all.. there're some lucky ppl who doesn't need calibration..
if u can, test the lens before you buy it..

Ic. Hope I'm the lucky one. Thanks for your info! :)