Need precious opinion on Sigma 50mm F/1.4 & Canon 50mm F/1.4?

The Sigma suffers from focus shift issues, the issue on the Canon is not as great.

Yup. I experience some of that myself (especially on APS-C cameras) but I have a workflow to get around it.

But on a FF camera, I noticed the focus shift issue is not very apparent. Not sure why.

sometimes original makers' lens will also need to be caliberated..... its not an uncommon thingy....
get a body with micro adjustment? then you can do the cali urself..

I was in the same situation as well, deciding between the two and finally last week I have gotten the Sigma. Well, over the weekend, brought it out for some fun and I was satisfied.

With issue of front/back focussing, well, MA could assist alittle...but do remember to test several copies at the shop the you want to buy from..

1209343931_JtyKL-L.jpg

This photo was taken with a Canon 5D MKII + Sigma 50mm F1.4 @ 1.4, 1/100, ISO800

Last edited:
I was in the same situation as well, deciding between the two and finally last week I have gotten the Sigma. Well, over the weekend, brought it out for some fun and I was satisfied.

With issue of front/back focussing, well, MA could assist alittle...but do remember to test several copies at the shop the you want to buy from..

1209343931_JtyKL-L.jpg

This photo was taken with a Canon 5D MKII + Sigma 50mm F1.4 @ 1.4, 1/100, ISO800

Nice. It seems like it will perform better on a FF body instead of APS-C body. Maybe I should try the 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens which is specially built for APS-C. Sadly Canon until now haven't came out any 50mm prime for EF-S except for a 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

Nice. It seems like it will perform better on a FF body instead of APS-C body. Maybe I should try the 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens which is specially built for APS-C. Sadly Canon until now haven't came out any 50mm prime for EF-S except for a 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

But you can still mount EF lenses on a APS-C camera body? so no issue right?

You can also try the 50/1.8. Cheap and good. Just that its build is not as solid.