Need Opinions on Wide Angle Lense

one35th

Mar 26, 2010
Hi All,

I have an D300S which I would like to add new wide angle lense for upgrade

Like to listen to opinions for which WA lense is good choice for this application.

1) AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED

2) AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

Thanks and appreciated.

One vote for AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, if you could afford this lens.
This is the best UWA for FX, sharp wide open :)

If you do really need the WA, look at the 10-24 as it is the widest you could get on DX format.

I second the DX lens 10-24, unless you have the intention to moving to full frame in near future then 14-24 is much appropriate choice.

for wide angle, I used 16-85, have to compromise abit due to budget. It's not that wide but sufficient for my usage.

Like what I usually say... you can't buy the extra 2mm (or extra 4mm that applies to 10-24 over 14-24) when you need them. :)

Last edited:
Hi All,

As from the feed back,

If I would want Good image quality, I should get the 14-24,
If I would want the widest angle, get the 10-24, on DX format.

Should I say, get the 10-24 on existing D300S, unless I need to upgrade to full frame.

Will the 14-24 work well on D300s ? I means the Image quality, and the widest angle covered ? compare to 10-24.

Appreciated. and thanks for the feed back..

For DX, it should be the 10-24(15-36). Its a lot wider than the 14-24(21-36) when used on crop bodies.:)

you just need to multiply the focal length by 1.5 . . . :)

So as what Treetrunk has given you for 10-24mm, it will be 15-36mm (10x1.5 - 24x1.5).

I will suggest that you go to NSC to try out the 2 lenses; to see whether the wide of the 14-24mm is good for you and the quality of both . . . ;)

Hi All,

I have an D300S which I would like to add new wide angle lense for upgrade

Like to listen to opinions for which WA lense is good choice for this application.

1) AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED

2) AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

Thanks and appreciated.

1) is DX lens and 2) is FX lens and 2) is more than twice the price of 1)
Having said this. How will you be using the lens? Do you need the f2.8? Or fov is more important for you? Maybe you are planning to upgrade to a fx body soon?
This is the fov you will get on your D300s
1)109° - 61°
2) 90° - 61°

Last edited:
If you have no intention to upgrade to FX within 2-3 years time, 14-24 may not be suitable for you. I personally think that 14-24 is designed for FX. If I were you, I will consider the following options:

Nikon 12-24mm f4
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

Their optical performances are similarly sharp like 14-24, especially at the centre, because DX cameras crop the centre image.

The setbacks for 14-24 are:
1) It cannot use the normal screw-in filters.
2) It is damn heavy and bulky.
3) Due to its size, your DX camera will look tiny after putting it on.
4) It is not ultra wide anymore in DX as its minimum focal length has become 21mm.
5) Its price is 2-3 times more expensive than the above lenses.

it would be such a pity to buy a $2k + lens and use it in a way that it wasn't really intended for :)

my vote goes to Tokina 11-16/2.8 for:
a) wideness
b) f/2.8 max aperture
c) decent price (compared with the Nikkors)

Last edited:
Hi All,

Great,

Seems like the Tokina 11-16mm is justifiable for DX format.
Can its mounting compatible with Nikon D300s ?

Will consider, who should I go to in Singapore with the best price ?

Really appreciate the feedback.

Hi All,

Great,

Seems like the Tokina 11-16mm is justifiable for DX format.
Can its mounting compatible with Nikon D300s ?

Will consider, who should I go to in Singapore with the best price ?

Really appreciate the feedback.
you should still try it out and not buy blindly based on everyone's (subjective) opinion.

For example, though I vote for the 11-16, I'm currently using a 12-24 f/4 as the focal range is what I'm comfortable with as a general purpose lens. So... different lenses will suit different people.

Look at the Price Guides section and there is a list of recommended sellers there.

14-24 for dx is probably not sufficiently wide.

you can also consider sigma 10-20.

you can see respective performance (optical) here:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/443-nikkor_1024_3545?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikk...-56-dc-ex-hsm-lab-test-report--review?start=1

sample comparison images:
http://esfotoclix.com/tech/nik10sig10/

additional discussion:
http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UW0g

10-24 will be more appropriate UWA for DX sensor
alternatively, the tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is fantastic as well, said to be the best UWA DX lens.

I second getting a UWA DX lens to mate with the camera body.
There are many other UWA DX lenses on the market.
Optically the 10-24mm gives good image quality too on reviews.

Ryan

i say go with either Tokina 11-16 or Nikon 10-24 of which the former i had tried extensively and very pleased with its performance all round before i moved to FX though i am still using DX.

Tokina 11-16mm was my choice, I bought it for my D90 cam 12 months ago, but seriously haven't had that much use for it. :dunno:

A 10-24 or 12-24 is more suitable for DX as it is wider and provide u the extra reach when needed as compare to a narrow range of 11-16. I assume u will be using the lens for landscape, as such a f2.8 will not come in handy as u will b using smaller aperture than f8 most of the time to increase the DOF.

The 14-24 will not b useful on a DX due to the focal length n lack of screw thread to fit a polariser unless u have the intention to move on to FX.

I own and use the Samyang 14 f2.8... Its manual focus, but tack sharp (in Dx its like a 20mm angle of view 95 deg or so) I also like the new Sigma 8-16mm ( I currently own the Sig 12-24 ff) I agree that the tokina 11-16 at f2.8 is probably the best and sharpest overall for a non Nikon zoom... If I really want wide I just get out one of my Fisheyes...(180 deg or so) I own both the Nikon 16m and the Samyang 8 m...I now prefer the Samyang 8 for dx.;)

Cheers
www.snakephoto.blogspot.com