need opinions on lens purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

colormeReD

Mar 23, 2009
Hi everyone.

I'm kinda newbie in this line. But I've had a Canon 400D for more than a year now, and only have been using the kit lens 18-55mm. I'm eager to buy a new set of lens, and adding to that i will be making an overseas trip next week. I'm torn between Canon 18-200mm and Sigma 18-200mm. The main reason i wanna get this lens is due to the hassle-free of bringing too many lens during travel.

However i've scout around and found the price difference between this two is around $400+, with Sigma being the more affordable one. I've read reviews that Sigma has 1 stop lesser than Canon, and the picture are found to be softer. But i'm not sure whether this minus points are worthy of my $400. I urgently need opinions from those who had or are using this two types of lenses.

Thank you all!

Oh yah and also I have in mind :embrass:a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Anyone have any idea of the market price right now?

Hi everyone.

I'm kinda newbie in this line. But I've had a Canon 400D for more than a year now, and only have been using the kit lens 18-55mm. I'm eager to buy a new set of lens, and adding to that i will be making an overseas trip next week. I'm torn between Canon 18-200mm and Sigma 18-200mm. The main reason i wanna get this lens is due to the hassle-free of bringing too many lens during travel.

However i've scout around and found the price difference between this two is around $400+, with Sigma being the more affordable one. I've read reviews that Sigma has 1 stop lesser than Canon, and the picture are found to be softer. But i'm not sure whether this minus points are worthy of my $400. I urgently need opinions from those who had or are using this two types of lenses.

Thank you all!

I think Anson has talked a lot about EFS18-200 is his thread
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481860

Also, you may wish to check out Dpreview.

IMO, 18-200 is certainly convenience. If I'm in your situation, I'll go for Canon.

Oh yah and also I have in mind :embrass:a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Anyone have any idea of the market price right now?

Check the price list probably?
Or just email MS and cathay, ask them for eQuote, mean while call up AP and TK, then you already have enough info to consider...

Hi everyone.

Thank you all!

Go with Canon 18-200...lighter n higher resale value... :bsmilie:

$600 plus?? Not too sure.

Well, 2nd hand would ard $500 bah..:)

y not wait for the sigma 18-250...got 4 LD glass leh....OS somemore included..

any idea when will that be? And price quote?

how about a relatively cheap 55-250mm IS to complement the 18-55mm. That way you have 2 lenses just in case one is spoilt during the trip.

Hi everyone.

Thank you all!

I brought the Sigma 18-200mm DC OS and has been with me for almost 2 yrs. Travel alot and landscape alot @ China

Not bad for below 1K. If so talking it SOFT, Depends, I think it worth the money for this product. Not really that soft. I read alot B4 buying also.

Have not test the Canon 18-200mm B4, anyway brought B4 canon came out with this lens. I do not know the price but must be expensive maybe $1.4K vs Sigma new 600+

Unless B4 U buy, you intend to sell. otherwise Sigma is a branded too beside Canon.
Recently, I brought kenko Teleplus MC7 CAF 2X and double mine to 400mm for further reach and of course 18mm becoms 35mm 200mm bcoms 420mm and loss of 2 stop of light. But for day shooting. It's good.

Can consider Sigma. By the way, the front lens will not prutrude out and where you can fix CPL for landscrape.

Thanks alot stanycjw!

Well i'm not the one to sell things once I owned them. That's the main reason why I still have my 400D and kit lense up till now where everywhere people are talking bout 450D, and 400D almost non-existence. I'm just trying to get the best deal, and been holding my thoughts of buying lenses for quite awhile. So far I've got alot of advices asking me to go for the Canon 18-200mm. But the reviews for sigma 18-200mm are pretty good too.

I'm still waiting for the online quote from CP and MS for the lenses. And have yet to call up others. Untill then, I gladly accept everyone's opinions and experiences they have. Keep it coming!

you might want to note that megazoom lenses like 18-200s tend to have the problem of significantly lower image quality compared to lenses with a narrower focal length range. along with other issues such as distortion and corner softness. this is to do with the significantly more tricky engineering to make such lenses.

of course the situation has improved these days..

getting 55-200 to couple with a kit lens would be just as good as getting one 18-200, and doesn't really take up that much more space.

I second what Night86mare said about buying the EF-S 55-250 to complement your kit lens. It's a light lens (390g) and doesn't take up much space.

As for the 18-200 zoom lens, it's heavier that your kit lens (200g) and EF-S 55-250 lens (390g) at 600g...:)

Thanks alot stanycjw!

Well i'm not the one to sell things once I owned them. That's the main reason why I still have my 400D and kit lense up till now where everywhere people are talking bout 450D, and 400D almost non-existence. I'm just trying to get the best deal, and been holding my thoughts of buying lenses for quite awhile. So far I've got alot of advices asking me to go for the Canon 18-200mm. But the reviews for sigma 18-200mm are pretty good too.

I'm still waiting for the online quote from CP and MS for the lenses. And have yet to call up others. Untill then, I gladly accept everyone's opinions and experiences they have. Keep it coming!

Also you can chk price with ORIENTAL PHOTO at 6th floor Sim Lim SQ (NOT 2nd Flr)...
They are reasonable and service is good from the Mr.China Man. Me and some of my friend brought from them as well. U chk their website and email for quote B4 going there.

Cheers!!

Also you can chk price with ORIENTAL PHOTO at 6th floor Sim Lim SQ (NOT 2nd Flr)...
They are reasonable and service is good from the Mr.China Man. Me and some of my friend brought from them as well. U chk their website and email for quote B4 going there.

Cheers!!
just take note OP also does grey units so do check if the items you are buying is local warranty or shop warranty only.

Hi, just inquire from MS on Sigma 18-200 lens, ard $690. I am kinda of waiting for the 18-250 lens... almost the same size but longer zoom, unsure on the pricing though...

Hi, just inquire from MS on Sigma 18-200 lens, ard $690. I am kinda of waiting for the 18-250 lens... almost the same size but longer zoom, unsure on the pricing though...
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC is about $900 there.

Can consider Sigma. By the way, the front lens will not prutrude out and where you can fix CPL for landscrape.

I think you mean the front element will not rotate when focusing.

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC is about $900 there.

This is also a good choice if have budget. The zoom is more impressive but do take note of the weight, lugging around whole day is quite "siong"! :eek:

yes yes....me tooo....heheheheh...4 LD glass...dun play play

Status
Not open for further replies.