Need opinion on silhouette photography!

ColourColourful

Jul 20, 2011
Hello!

I need some advices on silhouette photography!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello!
So yeah, I have a photography portfolio assignment coming up and I've actually decided to work on silhouettes.
However I need some opinions on the pros and cons with this idea.
Thank you! :)

Isn't it an artistic choice? What do you mean by pros and cons?

Up to you lor. Make up your own pros and cons list.

Wow, now even developing your own artistic decisions needs a consensus? I'm glad Picasso never asked his neighbors what they thought he should do.

Like, advices on how I can capture good silhouette photos. And what to watch out for?

ColourColourful said:
Like, advices on how I can capture good silhouette photos. And what to watch out for?

A clean and not messy background.... Like sky. Just meter and exposed for the background will do.

Hahaha that's a different question than your original one. Seemed like you were contemplating whether or not to present a series of silhouette photographs, and asking for pros and cons :)

hmmm, off the top of my head:
1) appreciable difference in exposure level between background (brighter) and foreground (darker)
2) simple, non-distracting background
3) clearly-defined subject (distinct outline) to form a silhouette with.
4) be careful of any distracting elements.

Sounds as we are asked again to do somebody else homework..?
TS: If you want to do silhouettes just for the sake of it then do it on your own as technical exercise. Not too difficult to go out at sunrise / sunset time and do trial and error till the shutter smokes. But (looking at the quote in 2nd post) if you decide suddenly to use this style element for a certain assignment then it's a bit too late to ask now, 5 minutes before the job starts. There must be a reason for you to select this style. So, best is that YOU evaluate why and how this style can help for the assignment. If you can find good answers - go ahead. If not, well .. wrong choice then.

Silhouette photography only limited by your imagination ... something like this also can...

IMG_8909.jpg

I can't say it's good but hopefully at least something to start off. The silhouette does not have to dominate the scene. Use rules of composition to help and blah blah blah...
:)