need opinion about getting nikon d40

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerax

Apr 19, 2008
hi guys, i just joined and this is my first post. :)

i really need your opiniion. I am in such dilemma now.

okay here is the situation. I am not in urgent state of getting a camera.
so do you think I should wait for NIKON D60??

i am thinking about picking up d60 in december 2008 (when the price has dropped significantly)

however, i heard many people vote d40 as better camera, IS THIS TRUE??

I also have heard that d40 has been discontinued now and some of the stores actually dont carry this product anymore.

SO should i wait for d60?? or just go with d40 (because its been discontinued)??

how much is the lowest price in singapore for d40?? is sing$780 cheap enough???

I really dont know what to do and i really need opinion from members here.

BASICALLY, to sum it up, WHICH ONE IS BETTER BETWEEN D40 AND D60 SUPPOSEDLY THEY RUNNING AT THE SAME PRICE???

thanks for the reply. thank you

the d60 is a better camera and is also more ex than the d40.

just get the d60 kit if it's within ur budget. get the d40 (2nd hand) if u want to save money for lenses or flash.

hi guys, i just joined and this is my first post. :)

i really need your opiniion. I am in such dilemma now.

okay here is the situation. I am not in urgent state of getting a camera.
so do you think I should wait for NIKON D60??

i am thinking about picking up d60 in december 2008 (when the price has dropped significantly)

however, i heard many people vote d40 as better camera, IS THIS TRUE??

I also have heard that d40 has been discontinued now and some of the stores actually dont carry this product anymore.

SO should i wait for d60?? or just go with d40 (because its been discontinued)??

how much is the lowest price in singapore for d40?? is sing$780 cheap enough???

I really dont know what to do and i really need opinion from members here.

BASICALLY, to sum it up, WHICH ONE IS BETTER BETWEEN D40 AND D60 SUPPOSEDLY THEY RUNNING AT THE SAME PRICE???

thanks for the reply. thank you

From the history of Nikon prices, you cannot expect the price of the D60 to drop significantly. Having used both, the D60 at 10MP gives almost the same noise performance as the D40 at 6MP, so you already get a resolution advantage. The D60 also has an electronic rangefinder display which will help you to accurately manual focus if you use MF or non-AF-S lenses. For that little bit more, you also get a kit lens with VR, so I think you should just go for the D60 now. I don't think the D40 is discontinued, you should still be able to get it new from reputable shops but I may be wrong.

There's the D40, the D40X and the D60. The D40X and the D60 share similar Sony sensors, namely the one used in the Sony A100. The D60 has some good improvements over the D40X. If you're dead-set on the budget Nikon line, I'd say D60.

D60. The difference is only $200+ but the improvements are much worth it.

1. higher megapixel
2. VR kit lens (which can fetch higher resale price)
3. D-lighting (very good for high contrast scene)
4. Rangefinder (for manual focus)
5. Anti-dust mechanism (blower and wiper)

For the above features, why skimp on $200?

D60. The difference is only $200+ but the improvements are much worth it.

1. higher megapixel
2. VR kit lens (which can fetch higher resale price)
3. D-lighting (very good for high contrast scene)
4. Rangefinder (for manual focus)
5. Anti-dust mechanism (blower and wiper)

For the above features, why skimp on $200?

i read the review from kenrockwell and he is basically saying that its not necessary to upgrade to d60.

and also d60 has slower maximum shutter speed with flash. can anybody comment on this??

please let me know. thank you so much. i was so sure that i wanted to buy d40 and so surpirised that anybody's comment are all leaning toward d60.

Also, can anybody recommend me a good camera store in singapore. I dont want harvey norman or court since their price is insane.

WHAT i mean by good is that "THE STORE HAS TO BE TRUSTWORTHY" MEaning they dont sell fake stuff, etc. and good and friendly service will be excellent.

is mustafa good choice?? my friends recommend me to get d40 there. sorry for asking too many questions. I am on my way to get my first slr : )

thanks

MS colour services at Ang Mo Kio is a good place to go to... They would be my choice if I want to purchase new stuff. :)

i read the review from kenrockwell and he is basically saying that its not necessary to upgrade to d60.

and also d60 has slower maximum shutter speed with flash. can anybody comment on this??

please let me know. thank you so much. i was so sure that i wanted to buy d40 and so surpirised that anybody's comment are all leaning toward d60.

Also, can anybody recommend me a good camera store in singapore. I dont want harvey norman or court since their price is insane.

WHAT i mean by good is that "THE STORE HAS TO BE TRUSTWORTHY" MEaning they dont sell fake stuff, etc. and good and friendly service will be excellent.

is mustafa good choice?? my friends recommend me to get d40 there. sorry for asking too many questions. I am on my way to get my first slr : )

thanks
hmm MS Colour and TK Photo is my recommendation... i dun really fancy Alan Photo these days.

Kenrockwell is also human, you think he is god?
Up to you man, but $200 more i would go for D60.
The reason i bought it over D80 is because of the compact size.
The reason i bought it over D40 is because of the D-lighting and antidust system.

hmm MS Colour and TK Photo is my recommendation... i dun really fancy Alan Photo these days.

Kenrockwell is also human, you think he is god?
Up to you man, but $200 more i would go for D60.
The reason i bought it over D80 is because of the compact size.
The reason i bought it over D40 is because of the D-lighting and antidust system.

its not just kenrockwell but i saw many reviews which pro d40 over d60. they said the value is actually higher in d40.

i wont go for d80 (its too big).

sin77, i heard parisilk as good store. do you recommend this???

would you care to comment whether the reduction system in d60 actually workin?? some people still complain that they have dust in their lens.

what about the VR?

its not just kenrockwell but i saw many reviews which pro d40 over d60. they said the value is actually higher in d40.

i wont go for d80 (its too big).

sin77, i heard parisilk as good store. do you recommend this???

would you care to comment whether the reduction system in d60 actually workin?? some people still complain that they have dust in their lens.

what about the VR?

hmmm.... they will compare $ over image quality, but i compare features over $.
ie. $200 more only and can get D-lighting, VR, Expeed, and antidust.
Really up to u man.

Parisilk i nv hear before, from where one?

i believe the antidust will help. But if u duno how to protect ur stuffs, even anti-hurricane also no use.

I can say VR can really help.... but to a certain extent.
VR can use 3 stops down.
VRII can use 4 stops down.

hmmm.... they will compare $ over image quality, but i compare features over $.
ie. $200 more only and can get D-lighting, VR, Expeed, and antidust.
Really up to u man.

Parisilk i nv hear before, from where one?

i believe the antidust will help. But if u duno how to protect ur stuffs, even anti-hurricane also no use.

I can say VR can really help.... but to a certain extent.
VR can use 3 stops down.
VRII can use 4 stops down.

parisilk in holland village.

sin77, i am not an expert. can you tell me the benefit of having expeed?? and d-lighting??

Frankly speaking, i suggest that you go with the D40. No point spending that extra cash for the 10mp sensor and the dust cleaning feature. 10mp is only needed if you want to print your shots big and the cleaning of the dust on the sensor can be done manually. You can also use the extra money you save from buying the D40 than the D60 to buy some lenses like the cheap and good 50mm f1.8 or a speedlight if you really need it. If you're interested in buying a second hand d40, you can contact me cause i'm selling my D40 :p

parisilk in holland village.

sin77, i am not an expert. can you tell me the benefit of having expeed?? and d-lighting??

expeed is just the newer generation processor for nikon.
new technology supposedly to perform better in terms of noise reduction, write speed, etc.
This perhaps improve the higher frames per secs?

D-lighting is just like a simpler version of HDR.
In high contrast scene, the shadow area will be brighten and overexposed area will be darken.
This is useful when u see dark shadow on the subject and bright sun behind the subject.

This is an example of D-lighting:

I think using active D-lighting on the D60 slows it down. Not so sure about that though. Can a D60 user comment?

I'll state upfront that I'm using a D40 but I'm voting for the D60 simply because it comes with the 18-55mm VR lens and the rangefinder manual focus display.

Other than that, everything else isn't really enticing.

But note that with the price difference you can buy a SB-400, which can improve your indoor shots by a lot. Or top up that difference and get a SB-600.

Try reading this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355474

forget abt sb400
get a sb600 at least

I think using active D-lighting on the D60 slows it down. Not so sure about that though. Can a D60 user comment?

Yes. After the shot is taken, the processing takes a slightly longer time.

i dun think i care abt the speed since most of the time i seldom take double shots

i heard parisilk as good store. do you recommend this???

I don't know whether they still carry the D40 there, but the D60 is going for $975 with GST, which is pretty competitive and a very decent price. Look for Vincent, at Paris Silk at Transit Road (there's another outlet at Holland, but it seems that it is more geared towards tourists).

wat is the lowest price the shop offer u (d40/d60)? I also think of get a dslr...

wat is the lowest price the shop offer u (d40/d60)? I also think of get a dslr...

Check the Nikon sub-forum or the Consumer's Corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.