Need more info :Hitech 100 filter holder vs Lee foundation

I am planning to get myself a square filter system. cokin P seems too small for my tokina 11-16mm (moreover it sold out all over sg, called and asked, maybe cause company in administration).
Cokin z-pro not sold in singapore. and it only cost slightly cheaper than a hitech or Lee holder.
But I cant seems to find much info on hitech 100mm mk4 holder.
This is all I know, aluminium body, comes in 1, 2 or 3 slots (does it mean I have to buy 3 different holders!).
Lee allows unscrewing 1 slots to accommodate ultra wide lenses is it?
Hitech holder plus adapter cost about $200? Lee foundation kit as well?
Heard that Lee allows easy removal of filter holder. Most probably Hitech is screwed in and Lee is clip on? Anyone to enlighten me?

I hope to bank on expertise from club snappers. those who have used either or both. Tell me the pros and cons pls..

It is unfortunate for us that only TK brings in Hitech, and i know that cathay still have Lee, but its really inconvenient to go TK, try the Hitech and go peninsular try Lee, then find that Hitech better then travel back to shaw towers again! even if its cheaper, it wouldnt be anymore :cry:

I am planning to get myself a square filter system. cokin P seems too small for my tokina 11-16mm (moreover it sold out all over sg, called and asked, maybe cause company in administration).
Cokin z-pro not sold in singapore. and it only cost slightly cheaper than a hitech or Lee holder.
This is all I know, aluminium body, comes in 1, 2 or 3 slots (does it mean I have to buy 3 different holders!).
Heard that Lee allows easy removal of filter holder. Most probably Hitech is screwed in and Lee is clip on? Anyone to enlighten me?

I hope to bank on expertise from club snappers. those who have used either or both. Tell me the pros and cons pls..

It is unfortunate for us that only TK brings in Hitech, and i know that cathay still have Lee, but its really inconvenient to go TK, try the Hitech and go peninsular try Lee, then find that Hitech better then travel back to shaw towers again! even if its cheaper, it wouldnt be anymore :cry:

i dun own any of those expensive filter systems but i do know tk is close to cathay....it is now in funan, not shaw towers;)

I'm using the LEE DSLR Starter Kit.
LEE Filter Set does allow screwing off to remove the slot when required but I believe that 2 slots should be quite safe for 11-16mm.

If you want, why not try getting the LEE Foundation Kit and then use Hitech filters.
I think the Foundation Kit should be less than $200 and the adapter ring should be $85 or $95 IIRC.

TK Foto does bring in LEE Filters but they are usually sold off very fast.

But I have to give my comment, Hitech filters are slightly thinner than the Lee filter but it is still usable.

Last edited:
I was looking at this the other day and I came to the conclusion that with the advances of software technology it may not be necessary to buy these kind of filters anymore, in addition some users have claimed that they've experienced an IQ loss when using screw on and slip in type filters (general brand like Cokin, Hitech, Marumi, Kenko etc). Perhaps the more expensive brands may be a different story.

even with the best software, u will still not be able to recover details which are not even there.

and personally, i think it makes shoots even more interesting and fun with the use of different filters.

I was looking at this the other day and I came to the conclusion that with the advances of software technology it may not be necessary to buy these kind of filters anymore, in addition some users have claimed that they've experienced an IQ loss when using screw on and slip in type filters (general brand like Cokin, Hitech, Marumi, Kenko etc). Perhaps the more expensive brands may be a different story.

Advance software can't help in certain situations.

Eg, shooting portrait with shallow DOF on a bright day. What to do if with lowest ISO and highest shutter speed still over expose with wide open aperture?

Eg, to remove wave or ripple with LE but still over expose with lowest ISO and smallest aperture?

ND filters will help in these situations.

I think both Hitech and Lee are same price, filter holder are $120 and WA adapter are $80.

I've the Lee foundation kit (filter holder) and WA adapter. The adapter is screw on to lens filter thread. Filter holder is clipped onto adapter. The kit comes with 3 slots and 2 sets of screws (4 long and 4 short screws). The 4 long screws are used when all 3 slots are mounted. Use the 4 short screws if only 1 slot is mounted, ie user can mount the nos of slot he wishes.

Last edited:
Advance software can't help in certain situations.

Eg, shooting portrait with shallow DOF on a bright day. What to do if with lowest ISO and highest shutter speed still over expose with wide open aperture?

Eg, to remove wave or ripple with LE but still over expose with lowest ISO and smallest aperture?

ND filters will help in these situations.

You shouldn't be shooting wide open, you will get flares and very soft edges. If you're shooting on a bright day shouldn't you be stopping down to control the brightness and get a sharper shot anyway?

damn it, now i have 1 more query, Hitech filters are thinner, 1.5mm if i am not wrong. would that mean the slots in Hitech filter holder be as slim as well? wouldnt that mean I wont be able to use Lee filters since they are 2mm thick!

But, being thinner means less refraction. Thats good isnt it?

I am planning to get myself a square filter system. cokin P seems too small for my tokina 11-16mm

The Cokin P-system fits your need, but you need to get the slim holder (with 1 filter slot). I have the slim holder and it does not cause vignette on my EF-S 10-22.

damn it, now i have 1 more query, Hitech filters are thinner, 1.5mm if i am not wrong. would that mean the slots in Hitech filter holder be as slim as well? wouldnt that mean I wont be able to use Lee filters since they are 2mm thick!

But, being thinner means less refraction. Thats good isnt it?

it is not just cost you should be looking at.
There are other things to consider like vignetting (especially with a uwa lens), quality of built and ergonomics...etc.