Need information for old filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six-GHz

Nov 29, 2006
I've just managed to dig out some of my family's old filters. These are the:

1. B+W KB3 1.2x
Look up on the net, and it says these are for dawn/dusk kind of scenarios. What does KB3 and 1.2x stands for? Some exposure compensation? Also, can it be used for modern dSLRs?

2. Hoya PL filter
This filter is dated somewhere in the late 70s, and just stated as PL. So can the user tell it is a linear or circular? And also, is it appropriate for today's cameras?

Haven't tried out yet cos I'm still busy cleaning it! Thanks in advance!

I've just managed to dig out some of my family's old filters. These are the:

1. B+W KB3 1.2x
Look up on the net, and it says these are for dawn/dusk kind of scenarios. What does KB3 and 1.2x stands for? Some exposure compensation? Also, can it be used for modern dSLRs?

2. Hoya PL filter
This filter is dated somewhere in the late 70s, and just stated as PL. So can the user tell it is a linear or circular? And also, is it appropriate for today's cameras?

Haven't tried out yet cos I'm still busy cleaning it! Thanks in advance!

The first ones seems to be a colour correction filter. For making the scene cooler than it originally is. More for film photography as we can do this when correcting WB in RAW conversion.

The 2nd one is a linear polariser and it will not allow you to AF properly with the new cameras. It's meant for the older systems.

There have been claims that some of the AF bodies can work with linear polarisers on online forums. Even if AF works, the metering might go a little off. Best is to get a circular polariser if needed.

Ryan

Thanks, and yep, those are from the film era. Didn't try out the PL filter, I don't see no blue skies today. For the B+W filter, yeah, my in-camera adjustments does about the same thing. Seems technology is making a mockery of my findings!

Status
Not open for further replies.