Need info on K10D vs K10D Limited Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress

Sep 5, 2006
Hi Pentaxian
I'm a Nikon user and is considering to set up another system. So far Pentax appeals to me the most. Almost threw my mony on a Olympus E330 or e500 but still like the colors produce by Pentax.
Now, am I right to say that the K10D is the same as the K10D limited edition except that the firmware is the latest for the K10D Limited E. version?
K10D Limit Edition with grip cost about $1599, what about the normal K10D with Grip would cost?
Hope someone here can help?
Still alittle confuse with all the terms DA,AF,etc.....:sweat:

One more thing, can my Nikon lens collection be used on the pentax cam with the proper adapter?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi:

I'm a new Limited Edition K10D owner and maybe can answer you some questions:

AFAIK the only different between limited edition and regular version is color and shoulder strap, regular version also can update to 1.30 firmware.

According to other member's post, regular K10D body = $1250, grip= $260 both before GST so I think Limited Edition is a good buy:)

Pls check http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/lens/ , it's all current lens for pentax, DA means for APS-C size only, AF= auto focusing, IF = Internal Focusing, FA = Fix Zoom range; SDM= Supersonic Drive Motor etc

:)

DA = APS-C (some tests indicated that certain DA lenses can be uses on FF cameras)
DFA = Designed for digital sensor (others same as FA)
FA = Fully Auto
A = Auto ("A" switch on aperture ring for program mode, no auto focus)
K & M = fully manual lens

One more question.....if i use manual lens, will the SR work?

Can anyone advise whether my nikon lens can be use with the K10D?

Thanks!

One more question.....if i use manual lens, will the SR work?
The SR works with any lenses. Switch ON the camera, and the lens selection menu will appear for you to select the correct lens mount on the camera, or go to menu manually to select.

*M42, K & M lenses will only works in manual mode, becoz there no "A" setting on these lenses.

Thanks guys......Now all I need is to find or make a Nikon lens to Pentax K-M mount lens adapter so that I can use my nikon collection.......once I get this I'll then buy a the K10D. Looking forward to own a pentax......love the pancake lens (because of this I'm attracted to pentax)

Cheers....

If anyone one knows where to find what I'm looking, please please point me the direction.
1st....where can I find very very cheap damaged pentax cam so that I can salvage the lens mount.
I'm sure it's easy to find cheap nikon lens as one CSer is selling.
If anyone has one very badly damaged pentax cam but the mount is still ok let me know.

Thanks guys......Now all I need is to find or make a Nikon lens to Pentax K-M mount lens adapter so that I can use my nikon collection.......once I get this I'll then buy a the K10D. Looking forward to own a pentax......love the pancake lens (because of this I'm attracted to pentax)

Cheers....

If anyone one knows where to find what I'm looking, please please point me the direction.
1st....where can I find very very cheap damaged pentax cam so that I can salvage the lens mount.
I'm sure it's easy to find cheap nikon lens as one CSer is selling.
If anyone has one very badly damaged pentax cam but the mount is still ok let me know.

Bro,

Maybe you can try OP for help?

Perhaps they can help you to source for the adapter.

No harm to pay them a visit. :)

Honestly, I'm not so sure there is a Nikon to Pentax K mount adapter. Actually if you want to use your existing Nikon lenses, the Canon EOS mount is the way to go. There are many Canon users who use Nikon lenses using third party adapters with the in-built chip that give focus confirmation.

If you're going to use Pentax, I would suggest you stick to K mount or M42 lenses (with a screw to K mount adapter) as I think they may not be compatible, or if at all possible, there may be limited functionality at best with your Nikkors. BTW you can also use Rikenon and Yashica/Contax lenses on K mount with some modification. I used to be a Nikon user and dumped all my lenses before I switched to Pentax.

Im also in the same situation, have search high and low to mount nikon lens on pentax but to no avail. fengwei did post once on such a adapter in china and i have asked him but also cannot find, i cant bear to dump all my nikon lens so decided to go with 2 system nikon and pentax and balance lens focal length. still finding funds to buy my first pentax though.

Honestly, I'm not so sure there is a Nikon to Pentax K mount adapter. Actually if you want to use your existing Nikon lenses, the Canon EOS mount is the way to go. There are many Canon users who use Nikon lenses using third party adapters with the in-built chip that give focus confirmation.

If you're going to use Pentax, I would suggest you stick to K mount or M42 lenses (with a screw to K mount adapter) as I think they may not be compatible, or if at all possible, there may be limited functionality at best with your Nikkors. BTW you can also use Rikenon and Yashica/Contax lenses on K mount with some modification. I used to be a Nikon user and dumped all my lenses before I switched to Pentax.

Thanks...Where can i find a K-mount to M42 adapter?

I can use the k-mount to m42 adapter then I screw it to my M42 to nikon adapter therefore I get infinity focus too.....! please point to me where to get that adapter?

Cheers

The K mount to M42 adapter can be found on B&S, eBay & Fotografix Marketing respectively.
Honestly, I don't see how it will work well. Even if you can have your Nikkor lens attached to a Nikkor to M42 adapter, not even sure you can get infinity, or even stop down metering as you'll be using 2 adapters..

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=3036133

NikonToPK_Adapter.jpg

It does exist, but I don't really know how it works, or if it works well for all Nikon lenses.

Good luck finding one :)

Oh btw, the K10D GP is a great buy at $1599, don't miss it ;)

Does KM means Konica Minolta mount?
Cheers

DA = APS-C (some tests indicated that certain DA lenses can be uses on FF cameras)
DFA = Designed for digital sensor (others same as FA)
FA = Fully Auto
A = Auto ("A" switch on aperture ring for program mode, no auto focus)
K & M = fully manual lens

bro i confused..

so which one are the ff lenses? and how is the lenses pricing compared to sony lenses and minolta lenses?

one more question, is there any lens equivalent to 17-40 L canon which is fullframe? if yes how much it cost? sorry2 me very noob.. :sweat:

bro i confused..

so which one are the ff lenses? and how is the lenses pricing compared to sony lenses and minolta lenses?

one more question, is there any lens equivalent to 17-40 L canon which is fullframe? if yes how much it cost? sorry2 me very noob.. :sweat:

Most DA lenses don't work on full frame cameras, but some of them (DA40, DA70) work fine. All the other lenses are for full frame cameras :) Currently only DA, DFA lenses, some FA lenses and very few A lenses are still under production, but there are plenty of old lenses and third party ones to choose from.

Pentax is the best for its prime lenses, but we do have some good zoom lenses, including FA20-35/4 (not as wide as the Canon 1740L though) which is a great performer. For APS-C, we have DA*16-50/2.8 and DA 16-45, both are excellent lenses. The FA20-35/4 cost around 400USD I think.

Good luck.

Most DA lenses don't work on full frame cameras, but some of them (DA40, DA70) work fine. All the other lenses are for full frame cameras :) Currently only DA, DFA lenses, some FA lenses and very few A lenses are still under production, but there are plenty of old lenses and third party ones to choose from.

Pentax is the best for its prime lenses, but we do have some good zoom lenses, including FA20-35/4 (not as wide as the Canon 1740L though) which is a great performer. For APS-C, we have DA*16-50/2.8 and DA 16-45, both are excellent lenses. The FA20-35/4 cost around 400USD I think.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, fengwei..

how much do you think it will cost me if i want
pentax k10d, ltd edt would be great
wide angle lens start at ard 18mm
normal lens (ard 35-70, to extend the range uncovered by wa lens)
tele lens (70-200 or 300)
and a macro lens (100mm one)
would appreciate if can inform me.. i prefer if all the lenses ff ones..

btw is there any plan from pentax to make ff dslr in near future?

thanks

Body alone around $1250?

The Sigma 17-70 covers both ranges and is pretty good.
So you might want to consider it. Ard $700.
But it's not FF though.

Not into this, so I will let other answer.

thanks
Lots of speculations and debates about this, but no conclusive answers.
If you have access to really insider information, like top management in Pentax, please do let us know... ;)

Thanks for the info, fengwei..

thanks

If you are buying FF lenses, the choices are quite limited, especially from Pentax' current lens lineup. There are some third party ones might suite your needs.

K10D = $1250
K10D GP = $1600
Pentax FA20-35/4 = $650
or Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG = $600
Pentax FA28-105/3.2-4.5 = $300
Pentax FA24-90/3.5-4.5 = $500
Pentax FA*28-70/2.8 = $1500 (if you can find one)
Pentax FA*80-200/2.8 = $2500 to 3000 (if you can find one)
Sigma 70-200/2.8 = $1500
Tokina 80-200/2.8 = $1000
Pentax FA*200/2.8 = $1600
Pentax FA*300/4.5 = $1800
Pentax DFA100/2.8 macro = $750
Pentax FA100/2.8 macro = $500
Tamron 90/2.8 Di macro = $600
Sigma 105/2.8 macro = $500

If got the money to spend, I'd go with:
K10D GP, FA20-35/4, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8, DFA100/2.8 macro

If got limited fund only, I'd go with:
K10D, Pentax FA20-35/4, FA28-105/3.2-4.5, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 90/2.8 macro

For me myself, I've got:
K10DGP
K100D
Pentax A15/3.5
Pentax DA 14/2.8
Pentax DA 21/3.2 LE
Pentax FA 31/1.8 LE
Pentax FA 43/1.9 LE
Pentax FA 77/1.8 LE
Pentax FA* 85/1.4
Pentax FA* 200/2.8
Pentax FA* 300/4.5
Pentax DFA 100/2.8 Macro
Pentax F1.7x TC

And some junks I don't remember...

I don't really know about Pentax releasing FF cameras. But if Pentax wants to stay in the photography business, they have to come out with a FF solution sooner or later. Better asap :D So if you have faith on Pentax, then just buy into the system. Otherwise just get some APS-C lenses like the Sigma 1770 as suggested by Alan :)

I myself am not worried about FF thing, just use whatever available now. When FF comes out, I'll just upgrade then (both bodies and lenses). We only live once, can't waste too much time waiting and wondering don't you think ;)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.