Need Improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erizai

Sep 16, 2005
Southen Sea
Hi All experienced one,

This is a few takes that I tried recently, comments are welcome..

DSC_0567x.jpg

DSC_0562x.jpg

DSC_0570x.jpg

DSC_0582x.jpg

DSC_0547x.jpg

I have a feeling that the photographs are a little oversharpened - but it is after all a matter of individual taste.

you have to cut down on the sharpening bro...

the expression in the pics a bit repetitive, maybe you can try capturing her in different expression and angles, i noticed quite a few are frontal shots. :)

Yup, Point Noted.

As for sharpening I think I sharpen too much after resizing.. as for the hires It will be a little softer..

How about my fill flash? Colour? What you guys say?

erizai said:
Hi All experienced one,

This is a few takes that I tried recently, comments are welcome..

u are lucky...got a good model....technically...portrait picture should be vertically form...if horizontal post like this will makes ur model like "flat and fat"

:) good work anyway...any chance of shooting for her.:lovegrin:

Kimura_papaya said:
....technically...portrait picture should be vertically form...if horizontal post like this will makes ur model like "flat and fat"

Hmm........................

Horizontal post makes the model look like "flat and fat"?

How about this horizontal post picture of Marilyn Monroe. Does she look "flat and fat"?

MarilynA.jpg

student said:

How about this horizontal post picture of Marilyn Monroe. Does she look "flat and fat"?

MarilynA.jpg

Nice Pic, Where you found this?:bigeyes:

student said:

i hope u dont take as too offended...we are all learning...

the picture of marilyn monroe...frankly speaking..it is not the best portrait picture...cos the subject of the picture is place nearly to "dead center".

in photography, before you can get a great picture, you have to learn to fullfill the "rules of third", horizontal pic like marilyn, technically should be place at the position 1/3 of horizontal picture, be it left or right, center is definitely not a good idea. when u place at 1/3 most left or right, u can compensate it by adding the DOF depth of Field and asymetry of the object...makes the picture looks a bit 3D.

hope this help..off koz..in anytime..lighting setting has always been another important issue for portrait.

kimu

Kimura_papaya said:
i hope u dont take as too offended...we are all learning...

the picture of marilyn monroe...frankly speaking..it is not the best portrait picture...cos the subject of the picture is place nearly to "dead center".

in photography, before you can get a great picture, you have to learn to fullfill the "rules of third", horizontal pic like marilyn, technically should be place at the position 1/3 of horizontal picture, be it left or right, center is definitely not a good idea. when u place at 1/3 most left or right, u can compensate it by adding the DOF depth of Field and asymetry of the object...makes the picture looks a bit 3D.

hope this help..off koz..in anytime..lighting setting has always been another important issue for portrait.

kimu

I hope you do not feel offended, because I am going to be blunt.

The issue was your statement whether a horizontal post makes the model "Look flat and fat". Does this picture make Marilyn looked fat? Yes or No?

Do not digress from the real issue.

BTW, "Rules of third" are for photographers who do not know better, and who use formulaic "rules" for their lack of ability to make pictures creatively.

erizai said:
Nice Pic, Where you found this?:bigeyes:

Off the web. Just type "Marilyn Monroe images".

student said:
I hope you do not feel offended, because I am going to be blunt.

The issue was your statement whether a horizontal post makes the model "Look flat and fat". Does this picture make Marilyn looked fat? Yes or No?

Do not digress from the real issue.

BTW, "Rules of third" are for photographers who do not know better, and who use formulaic "rules" for their lack of ability to make pictures creatively.

i don take it offended...i just tell u the way i appreiciate photo....horizontal post has always been not easy to pose.

YES is the answer i can tell u the photo looks flat to me...whether is it fat or not..is up the photographers to judge. since you mentioned you need some comment, i was just offering my another 2 cents comment. and i did not really run away from your question.

-->>BTW, "Rules of third" are for photographers who do not know better, and who use formulaic "rules" for their lack of ability to make pictures creatively.

photography is a very subjective appreciation......i don have much comments on your reply. maybe you are right about this.

Just add my 2 cents.....

1. unless there's a very interesting background, who not take the photos in portrait format instead of landscape....

in most of the photos posted, you are trying to take the lady rather then the background ;)

2. her teeth on the left is not very neat....i would minimise frontal or shooting from her left hand side....

hope this helps....

student said:

:thumbsup: i tend to agree with this... though in most situations, rule of the thirds would work fine...

wanted to post something similiar to what u said to kimura's post.. but haha, u put it in a more blunt way than i could.. ;p

erizai said:
Yup, Point Noted.

As for sharpening I think I sharpen too much after resizing.. as for the hires It will be a little softer..

How about my fill flash? Colour? What you guys say?

exposure looks ok to me, not sure what others think though..

but i find ur background quite uninteresting... next time try to find a cleaner background, or something more interesting..? :)

Kimura_papaya said:
i don take it offended...i just tell u the way i appreiciate photo....horizontal post has always been not easy to pose.

YES is the answer i can tell u the photo looks flat to me...whether is it fat or not..is up the photographers to judge. since you mentioned you need some comment, i was just offering my another 2 cents comment. and i did not really run away from your question.

-->>BTW, "Rules of third" are for photographers who do not know better, and who use formulaic "rules" for their lack of ability to make pictures creatively.

photography is a very subjective appreciation......i don have much comments on your reply. maybe you are right about this.

As you rightly pointed out, art, and photography is very subjective, and what one likes is a very personal thing, and I will respect that.

But distortion of body and facial features are not a function of the "landscape/horizontal" or "portrait/vertical" orientation. And to make such an assertive statement is inaccurate.

Granted that it may be easier to have a portrait orientation to eliminate unnecessary uninteresting "space". And granted that to do a portrait with a lot of space at the sides may not be the easiest thing.

But distortion is not the function of orientation. Distortion is a function of the focal length of the lens and the the way you make the photograph. If you photograph from down up, the lower body may look bigger than the head,etc.

You must not confuse the "flattening and fattening" effect of the wide screen TV, when the image frame is stretched to the panoramic format. This is distortion. But not in this series created by erizai.

Now for these images.

I agree with Arcanic and Petf69 that the background is uninteresting. And more care should be taken to allow the person to harmonise with the background.

I am not a fan of artificial lights, as I much prefer natural light, even if natural light is harsh. I have no problem with the exposures. I do not bother with minor under and over exposure. But I find the effects of the artificial light uninteresting.

There is a slight distortion in #2. This is the result of making the photograph from above the young lady with her looking up.

~Arcanic~ said:
:thumbsup: i tend to agree with this... though in most situations, rule of the thirds would work fine...

wanted to post something similiar to what u said to kimura's post.. but haha, u put it in a more blunt way than i could.. ;p

To me, photography is an artisitc way of expression. Can anyone here define what u mean by "artistic"? If not, then I guess it's indeed something very subjective, with no specific guidelines, as pointed out by Kimura.

There is really no hard and fast rule on whether the rule of thirds is right or wrong. As a Photographer, we use our own discretion and creativity to visualise how we want the pictures to turn out and how we want the world to see our pictures. If there's no truth to the rule of thirds rule, why did it exist in the 1st place? On the other hand, it also doesn't imply that all photos with rule of thirds turn out to be world-class. It all depends on the subjects, the moods we wanna portray etc....the list goes on. When I shoot, such guidelines are secondary....my creativity comes 1st.

We are all here to learn, be it a novice, amateur, professional. Someone who calls himself professional, who shuts himself up from the learning curve doesn't deserve to be one I guess. And people who cannot take criticisms will definitely find themselves losing out in the long run.

I'm not targeting at anyone. Just my 2cents worth. ;)

Petf69 said:
Just add my 2 cents.....

1. unless there's a very interesting background, who not take the photos in portrait format instead of landscape....

in most of the photos posted, you are trying to take the lady rather then the background ;)

2. her teeth on the left is not very neat....i would minimise frontal or shooting from her left hand side....

hope this helps....

Noted.

Anyone can show me a good sample of 'Potrait' as my shoots are all landscape?;p

erizai said:
Anyone can show me a good sample of 'Potrait' as my shoots are all landscape?;p

good examples are everywhere:bsmilie: ... your shots can be vertically or horizontally, there is no right or wrong, it's how you compose your pics to get people to notice your pictures.....

Status
Not open for further replies.