Need ID!

crystal1993

Aug 16, 2010
Japan, Tokyo
May i know what's this insect? :sweat: Don't know whether does it fall in the moths category...

5389616858_1187132048_z.jpg

It's a Orange Palm Dart :)

Butterfly category.

Last edited:
It's a Orange Palm Dart :)

Butterfly category.

Ahhh i see thanks! Was debating between moths and butterflies because it's shape looks more like a moth but yet it doesn't seem totally like a moth. :sweat:

Nice pix, Crystal. :thumbsup: Looks like you are doing great.

Thats not a moth, its actually a butterfly belonging to the skipper family group. Looks like it got slightly spooked by your flash. I am no expert in the identification of skippers, but you may always try your ID skills and check out the online buttefly checklist.

Nice pix, Crystal. :thumbsup: Looks like you are doing great.

Thanks vincent! Took me quite awhile to get this shot as it's very very camera shy. Kept flying even though i haven even went near it. :sweat:

Thats not a moth, its actually a butterfly belonging to the skipper family group. Looks like it got slightly spooked by your flash. I am no expert in the identification of skippers, but you may always try your ID skills and check out the online buttefly checklist.

Thanks inckurei! Yeah it is. It flew off the moment i shot this. Initially thought that the picture will end up blur as i didn't know whether did it flew after i shot it or before i shot it. :sweat:

Crystal, love the sharpness and great details of your Orange Palm Dart shot. :)

Good shot, crystal.

Improved greatly in your short span in macro photography. Saw you just acquired a canon 430exii, what's next?:D

Good shot, crystal.

Improved greatly in your short span in macro photography. Saw you just acquired a canon 430exii, what's next?:D

Thanks bro koh! After getting the 430exii very broke already so not getting anything soon unless you give me a big fat ang pao! :bsmilie:
Next is of course definitely a lens though!

Crystal and Divonex,

The skipper is the Lesser Dart (Potanthus omaha omaha)

Expert opinion on the skipper is at this Link post #12.

Cheers!

Thanks bluesteel for the info! :thumbsup: