Need helps/tips on natural (bird) shots with FZ20

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkist

Jul 7, 2002
Is FZ20 12X zoom enough for taking photo of bird? 432mm like "not enough" leh. Went to capture bird just now. And result is quite poor. Do we need at least 600mm? :confused:

Or is there any advise? :rolleyes:

Here one of the photo i do jus now. Very bad compare to those in "natural forum". It is heavy crop. OK. It is 100% crop loh. Sigh` :(

birdshot001.jpg

Hi Sunkist,

Used to shoot with a FZ10 before. From my limited experience with it, I think ~420mm is not adequate, especially for a small bird like the sunbird. I use to shoot with the Olympus TCON-17, which gives me about 620mm...Even then, I find that sometimes still not enough... :nono:

One good way, besides using the TCON, is to use Camo net to camo yourselves (the kind that we use in the army). From my knowledge, Some CS members have quite good experience with it. See below (the guy from the second post is using a FZ10)

http://www.avianwatchasia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114

http://www.avianwatchasia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106

Seems that a Camo net (plus some stealth movement) can let you get quite reasonably close to the bird, which is really one of the important keys for a good shot.

Of course, besides all these, make sure you don't wear anything bright e.g. bright yellow shirt, shiny silver watch...etc. And...do remember to use a external flash to brighten up yyour shots. It'll give you the sparkles in the eyes.

Hope this helps. :D

Calv

Thanks alot, Calvinlo. Can i know the price for the Raynox DCR2020 2.2X? Arthur stated that he gotten it for $280 from his friend. So how much is a brand new one and where can i get it? Any idea? It look like a better choice than the 1.7X

sunkist said:
Thanks alot, Calvinlo. Can i know the price for the Raynox DCR2020 2.2X? Arthur stated that he gotten it for $280 from his friend. So how much is a brand new one and where can i get it? Any idea? It look like a better choice than the 1.7X

Errr...not sure if you can get it in Singapore :think: . I think you may need to order it online, probably from Hong Kong.

Anyway, in the event that you can't get it, the Olympus TCON-17 (many places sell it) )is also quite Ok. Should give you about 700mm zoom for about S$170. Here's some of my old shots taken with the FZ10 and TCON-17 setup:

P1010173.jpg

P1010350.jpg

Of course, as I've mentioned earlier, ultimately the trick is still to get as near to the bird as possible. Guess you'll need a Camo net from Beach Road...

Calv

ur shot look cool too. hopefully can get a 2nd one at $100 odd. =)

Calvin, the shots taken with your FZ10 & TCON17 combo looks great but there seems to be quite a bit of purple/red fringing. Do you reckon it is caused by the TCON17?

nad - u interested in getting TCON 1.7X huh? me also lei.. heeee.. got cheap lobang?

i think the trick is to get close... u can't expect to shoot a small bird from 10m away ....

just have to try and get close.... and wait....wait...wait...

68453.jpg

Well said calvinlo & hammer_400 :) :thumbsup:

Hi nad: purple/red fringing is common with ultra zoom cameras (full zoom) and tcs. You can easily ps it away using photo editing software like photoshop.

Hi Sunkist,

This is Newguy69 (Arthur), my last piece of Oly 1.7X TC (condition: Mint, Price: $100, remark: selling on behalf of a friend) has been reserved by someone. I will let you know whether the deal got put though or not in a couple of days.

Here're 2 pics taken by both TCs for your reference:

FZ10 + Oly 1.7X. Shot taken at Eco-Lake, SBG on a very friendly bird, the magpie robin - female.
Robinbirdie.jpg

FZ10 + Raynox 2.2X (my new toy). White-Collared Kingfisher shot taken from my neighbourhood.
WhiteCollered.jpg

Cheers

Arthur

Arthur, thanks alot. Seem 1.7X is not that bad too :)

Had another shot jus now. Feel i have improve. But still not good compare to experts.

Birdshot063.jpg

Hi Sunkist,

Look like you are able to approach closer this time, keep up the good work :)

Cheers

Arthur

Newguy69 said:
Hi Sunkist,

Look like you are able to approach closer this time, keep up the good work :)

Cheers

Arthur
Thanks Arthur. Next time can let me try ur combo? heee.. 2 more pix to shown. Pls tell me more ways to improve this kind of shot. Anyway what the ID of this bird.

Birdshot068.jpg

Birdshot071.jpg

sorry.. i noe :) but hor, me want to learn from the bird shooter in panasonic forum. Cos our cam quite limited compare to SLR. It not a comments photo. Rather this is to disscuse how to take bird shots.

The photo i shown is it - Yellow Vented Bulbul?

John Teoh said:
Sunkist

Better post in the photography forum. If not later someone will make noise ;)

Cheers
John

John I think it is perfectly ok for sunkist to post here. Cos sunkist is using a FZ20, gettingtips and learning from other fellow Panasonic users like us. I don't see why should he post this in photography forum and not here.

Actually it is the way one see what is the objective of a post. My opinion is that, this is a Panasonic discussion forum and I think things to discuss here not only related to camera alot but things like accessories for e.g. marco lens, tele lens, wide lens, external flash....etc. For me as a FZ20 users myself, I would want to go to Nikon or Canon forum for e.g to ask them about Flash, tele lens....etc that a Panasonic camera can use, other lumix users using....etc. I feel more "home" here as I am a Lumix user.

I myself asked had someone about a Suntax 328DTZ and the right Omni bounce the other day. If this is a strict forum, by right Suntax and Omni bounce have got no relation or affliliation with Panasonic, then I would be sad if someone kicked me out back then. Or like josho's recent topic, "do you PS your pics?" Again, PS got nothing to do with Panasonic but in concluscion if this is gonna be so strict, then it is not a fun place to linger anymore. :( In my opinion, if this is really restricted to Panasonic cameras only, this forum will be dead in no time. I am very sure a lot of you agree with me.

If someone will make noise, then he or she will have to explain clearly to me and others specifically why this is not allow.

Nice...your 2nd shot is a good take, the ID of the bird is Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier). Dun worry about posting in the 'World of Nature', I also posted lot of shots in there like nobody business...haha. Afterall, we are here to share and learn from one another. I personally have learned alot from experts like Avatar, skfoo, Chngpe01, Fred and many more about nature & bird photography. No problem, if got chance to shoot together one of these day, you can play around with my combo. Btw do consider my offer about the TC. :)

Cheers

Arthur

spiderman said:
John I think it is perfectly ok for sunkist to post here. Cos sunkist is using a FZ20, gettingtips and learning from other fellow Panasonic users like us. I don't see why should he post this in photography forum and not here.

Actually it is the way one see what is the objective of a post. My opinion is that, this is a Panasonic discussion forum and I think things to discuss here not only related to camera alot but things like accessories for e.g. marco lens, tele lens, wide lens, external flash....etc. For me as a FZ20 users myself, I would want to go to Nikon or Canon forum for e.g to ask them about Flash, tele lens....etc that a Panasonic camera can use, other lumix users using....etc. I feel more "home" here as I am a Lumix user.

I myself asked had someone about a Suntax 328DTZ and the right Omni bounce the other day. If this is a strict forum, by right Suntax and Omni bounce have got no relation or affliliation with Panasonic, then I would be sad if someone kicked me out back then. Or like josho's recent topic, "do you PS your pics?" Again, PS got nothing to do with Panasonic but in concluscion if this is gonna be so strict, then it is not a fun place to linger anymore. :( In my opinion, if this is really restricted to Panasonic cameras only, this forum will be dead in no time. I am very sure a lot of you agree with me.

If someone will make noise, then he or she will have to explain clearly to me and others specifically why this is not allow.

Spiderman

You may want to refer to this thread post no. 13 for the reason. Anyway, the decision is up to you all.

Cheers
John

Status
Not open for further replies.