Need helping in choosing camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy81

Nov 4, 2008
Hi guys,
I am going to get an entry level DSLR camera. Hope some one can advise me on choosing between this 2 camera package.

a) Canon EOS1000D + EF 75-300mm III USM lens + EF-S 18-55mm lens + 4gb SD card + EOS bag = $1099

b) Nikon D 60 +AFs 18-55mm + AF- S DX Vr 55-200mm F4-5.6 G ED= $1199

Both package offer dual package, but i very confused over the extra lens (underlined) . Can some one tell me which package is more worth for money. I had read many reviews, but i both camera has its pro and cons. The telephoto lens in the cannon package seemed attractive though.

I do not know what is the extra lens in nikon for.

Base on you experience if you were buying, which package will you consider?

I am a canon user so I'll comment on choice A.

I assume the 18-55mm is an IS lens?

I would suggest you find a package
1) with the body only plus another lens of your choice
2) with the body plus the 18-55 IS ( I believed this can be had for less than $1000)

Keep away from the 75-300mm regardless of how cheaply its packaged into the deal, its quality is not really that good. If you are still interested in a decent zoom, look out for the 55-250mm IS.

Its a good start if you want a good lens that does not costs too much.

Wow, thanks for the information u provided. Very helpful for newbie like me.

By the way what is the meaning of "IS". And the lens you had mentioned "55-250mm" IS how much does it costs?

How do you think of this cannon d1000, is it good enough for a new user?

By the way is alan photo reputable, read some negative reviews about their outlet in SLS.

Ms color in amk seemed to quote me a higher price.

Any one has any comments on the nikon d60.

Cheers.

The good thing about canon is that their camera is compatible with all EOS lens while nikon is abit tricky, D60 cant take their older screw driven lens (and thats where all the primes are)

75-300 is bad if you are really critical of your works. Else I will say it works pretty much ok if you want the reach. As some point out, 55-250 IS is a much better lens, cost abt 300+ (I did not reference to pricelist :p) IS=image stabalizer. Makes shooting easier by reducing the effects of shaky hands. Nikon calls theirs VR= vibration reductions.

1000D is more then enough for a new user. It has quite a substatial amount of functions and provide high quality image. Do note image quality of 1000D is very similar to their semi pros body 40D. That said both D60 and 1000D, you cant really tell a difference unless you pixel peep.

Thanks zerathul for the valuable information.

Oh that means cannon lenses are easier to match while nikon lenses are tricker, and i read in the review , nikon d60 does not have AF, dun really know what it means.

Anyway, i am looking for a lens which is sort of all rounder for taking potraits and a decent zoom for far objects, is the 18-55 IS lens fine? price should not be too steep as i wanna try out first.

No one comment on the nikon d60 ah?

By the way, any shops which you guys would recommend, though i saw many recommended shops in other threads.

Cheers.

Wow, thanks for the information u provided. Very helpful for newbie like me.

By the way what is the meaning of "IS". And the lens you had mentioned "55-250mm" IS how much does it costs?

How do you think of this cannon d1000, is it good enough for a new user?

By the way is alan photo reputable, read some negative reviews about their outlet in SLS.

Ms color in amk seemed to quote me a higher price.

Any one has any comments on the nikon d60.

Cheers.

There are stickies on canon lenses prices and body prices, they serve as a guide but nothing beats calling on your own to get the most recent quote.

The quote you got from MS color, is it through phone? It might sound strange, but you could try sending an e-quote through their website, the offer might be slightly different, depending on T&C.

IS stands for image stabilization, the equivalent term for it on Nikon is VR (Vibration Reduction). If would be clearer if you google for it.

Umm not that D60 does not have AF. It just doesnt support the older drive screw system in nikon lens series. The newer one driven by lens motor wont have a problem.

I notice you are not very sure with most or the terminology, its better you look up the basic handling of DSLR. Once you know what most of the stuff means, then go down and test run both. AF btw is auto focus.

18-55 IS is a pretty good lens for starter. It can certainly take good pictures if you know your settings.

Thanks to both of you,

Ya haha very newbie to DSLR, Oh Af = Auto focus,

The MS color no reply my e quote leh, flared up with them.

Thanks , i think i might ask them if i could just get the body and change the kit lens to the 18-55 IS .

Thanks alot..

Thanks to both of you,

Ya haha very newbie to DSLR, Oh Af = Auto focus,

The MS color no reply my e quote leh, flared up with them.

Thanks , i think i might ask them if i could just get the body and change the kit lens to the 18-55 IS .

Thanks alot..

They (their boss) take about 3-4 days to reply eqoute. You have to be patient. Personally, their pricing and service has made me a regular customer.

Yo , i realise the lens which you had reccomended is the kit lens 18-55mm lens, so just to confirm , is this the one u are refering too?

Yo , i realise the lens which you had reccomended is the kit lens 18-55mm lens, so just to confirm , is this the one u are refering too?

You referring to me? Do take note that there is an IS and non-IS version for the 18-55mm. I had assumed that the package in your first post was talking about the former.

Thanks,
Oh ya got it so , i will check whther the kit len is with IS or non IS.

By the way i thought of trading in the 18-55mm lens to a lens which can zoom further by toping abit more.
Any recomendation?

By the way E1000D and EOS 450D, the latter is slightly more expensive, worth to get the 450D?
Thank you

If you have more $$$ go for EOS 450D, more resolution, 9 AF compare to 1000D only 7 AF...

I just realise u( Ah bian) had mentioned the 55-250mm IS lens for better zoom. I just asked ms color they quote me 360 and the eos1000 is selling for 890( body only) total is around $1250.

This combi quite reasnoable right for a start.

Do you use the 55-250mm too? Is it ok to take potrait which are near also? i need to ask this as i thougth telephoto means can take far pics only.. pardon me if it is a stupied question..

Thank you,

By the way do you have a msn account, can i add you? if yes , drop me a private msg , thank you.

Zoom lens can do portraits just that prime lens can do the job better imo but it all depends on the user skill.

usually i bring 1 prime and 1 zoom for casual shooting.

also take note that if your camera is a crop camera, multiply 1.6 to the lens range.

Zoom lens can do portraits just that prime lens can do the job better imo but it all depends on the user skill.

usually i bring 1 prime and 1 zoom for casual shooting.

also take note that if your camera is a crop camera, multiply 1.6 to the lens range.

hmm, i suppose the crop factor varies for different sensors which ranges from 1.3x to 2.0x. so it'll be more accurate to say that for the 1000d sensor, its crop factor is 1.6x, rather than implying it as a generic factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.