need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaLib0y

Jan 14, 2008
www.flickr.com
hello guys. recently as some of u may know, i bought a sony a100, as i am new to DSLR photography, i have some problems understnding the function of some certain accessories.

for e.g

the teleconverter - what is its function? does it help to double the zoom?

filters - does 55mm filter means it can fit most/all of sony's lenses? coz i intend to get a polarizing/UV/ and a certain close up filter. plus where can i get these stuffs?

lastly, the +1,+2,+3..etc filter lens, does it help if im doing macro shots? w/o any macro lenses...? coz sometimes i am very passionate about details of my subject.

thanks, and i'll need all the help i can get from u people. thanks for clarifying my doubts and thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

cheers

happy CNY to my chinese frens out there :cheeky:

the teleconverter - what is its function? does it help to double the zoom?
a TC helps to increase the reach of the lens, by 1.4X or 2X, but at the expense of 1 or 2 stops of light. That means, a f2.8 lens coupled onto a TC will only be able to achieve f4 or more, hence resulting in slower shutter speeds. Also, coupling smaller aperture lenses such as f5.6 and above, may result in difficulty in locking focus due to insufficint light.

filters - does 55mm filter means it can fit most/all of sony's lenses? coz i intend to get a polarizing/UV/ and a certain close up filter. plus where can i get these stuffs?
Different lenses will have different sized filter threads. Sony's kit lenses, 18-70 and 75-300 both are 55mm thread if i remember correctly. Typically, large apertured zoom lenses, f2.8 and the like, will have larger threads, i.e 72 or 77mm. So if you have several lenses with different sized threads, you can buy a large sized filter, and use step up/down rings so that the filter can be used on smaller threaded lenses as well. Polarisers can be shared amongst lenses. Close up filters I am not sure if they can be shared. UV filters, its better for each lens to have one to protect the front element against accidental knocks or scratches. Filters and step up/down rings can be bought at most good photographic accessories shops.

lastly, the +1,+2,+3..etc filter lens, does it help if im doing macro shots? w/o any macro lenses...? coz sometimes i am very passionate about details of my subject.
close up filters decreases a lens's minimum focusing distance. Hence you can go closer to the subject and therefore gives you more magnification. It does this at the expense of losing infinity focus and some light. Better close up filters are those made up of 2 elements, offering better sharpness and controlled distortions.

Hope this clarifies some of your queries. :)

Hi bro, here's something for you for an understanding of teleconverters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeleconverterFilter.
Size will depend on the lens you have. Most of the lenses will have 49mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 62mm, 67mm, 72mm, 77mm, 82mm. You can check the font of your lens to see what is the filter size required. Close up filters basically will give you some magnification of your subject. You can read more here: http://imaginatorium.org/stuff/cufilter.htm Hope these helps. :)

hey thanks guys.. that really help. Blueayz thanks for ur detailed explanation man..needed that...not to mention u too galdor..thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.