Need help!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

idahmariyani

Jan 9, 2007
How do we take good photographs using normal digital camera? :)

short answers:
#1, understand the basic of photography
#2, understand the functions of your camera
#3, keep learning and practising

could someone elaborate more on it...? thank you very much.. :)

I don't think you can distill the essence of good photography into the few sentences that you are hoping for. I suggest you buy (and read) some books on photography, practise a lot and then come to the forums again with some more specific questions.

As a famous photographer once said, "If I knew how to take good photographs, I'd take them every time". Unfortunately for him (and for all of us) it's not so easy. However, hard work will pay off in the long run. There are no quick and easy answers here.

idahmariyani,

I think it is too much to ask that you post two posts (your only two) each containing one line and expect a short answer that will result in miracle and make you a master of photography. Photography is art. Since it is about painting with light you eigther have it or not. I mean you SEE things or just look at things. When you SEE things you actually see different shapes, tones, colours, depth, distance, proportions and so on. When you SEE things you create the picture in your head and then shoot. There is also a lot of technicalities needed to create a picture. Terms that has to be learned AND understood. Much of "how to SEE" can be learned by reading even if you do not have artistic abilities. Most of the technology behind can be learned too, if you have the capacity and will. None of it can be learned if you just want some magic to happen. Just like catchlights and eastwest says, you have to read, read and read some more, practice, learn, understand and learn by mistake. Look at it this way, onece you have a digital camera taking pictures and look at them will not cost you much. So just try to take photographs, post them and ask for critics. Read those critics and use them to improve.

There are no shortcuts in real life to anything. Photography is no exception. Everybody knows that it is not the camera that makes the photographer, so buying the camera is just a tiny step in that process.

idahmariyani,

I think it is too much to ask that you post two posts (your only two) each containing one line and expect a short answer that will result in miracle and make you a master of photography. Photography is art. Since it is about painting with light you eigther have it or not. I mean you SEE things or just look at things. When you SEE things you actually see different shapes, tones, colours, depth, distance, proportions and so on. When you SEE things you create the picture in your head and then shoot. There is also a lot of technicalities needed to create a picture. Terms that has to be learned AND understood. Much of "how to SEE" can be learned by reading even if you do not have artistic abilities. Most of the technology behind can be learned too, if you have the capacity and will. None of it can be learned if you just want some magic to happen. Just like catchlights and eastwest says, you have to read, read and read some more, practice, learn, understand and learn by mistake. Look at it this way, onece you have a digital camera taking pictures and look at them will not cost you much. So just try to take photographs, post them and ask for critics. Read those critics and use them to improve.

There are no shortcuts in real life to anything. Photography is no exception. Everybody knows that it is not the camera that makes the photographer, so buying the camera is just a tiny step in that process.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I second that emotion!....

As catchlights said:

#1, understand the basic of photography
refer to this link http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

#2, understand the functions of your camera
depend on what camera you own and check its specifications and functions. Usually the review site will has more info on the camera model. Recommend review sites can be found here
http://www.dpreview.com/misc/links.asp

#3, keep learning and practising
Shoot more and share your shots with family, friends or forum members. Understand the problem and learn how to overcome it. Join outing and know more people :)

could someone elaborate more on it...? thank you very much.. :)

Another slacker demanding to be spoon fed! Pathetic.

Really, if you were sincere, I doubt it, then go forth and get your shutter count up another 5000 shots, then, ask the question again.

Best is to shoot as much as you can... Even with a simple Canon Ixus V3 and later, a sony V1, i was able to take great pictures. Yes, there are times when the tool (the camera) limits what your imagination wants to achieve, but in 90% of the cases, it's your imagination that matters. A simple consumer camera can take fantastic pictures if you know what it is you want to take...

For example, you see two old men hunched over a public chess/checker table in a park... Both have a stern, concentrated look on their face. You take a picture of them, then transfer it to your home PC, convert it to black and white, add a border and give it a title like "Age-old struggle"

And guess what... A high-end DSLR camera might have given you some better image quality, but you were not limited in taking the "great" picture just because you had a normal camera.

A high-end camera may give you a sharper, better-exposed image, but no camera can give you a better imagination.

pray that you happen to be at the right place, at the right time

in fact many excellent breath-taking shots arent a marvel of the photographer or his/her equipments, its rather, due to luck ^^

Another slacker demanding to be spoon fed! Pathetic.

Really, if you were sincere, I doubt it, then go forth and get your shutter count up another 5000 shots, then, ask the question again.

that was rather un-called for

maybe we should revise the very purpose of this forum.

pray that you happen to be at the right place, at the right time

in fact many excellent breath-taking shots arent a marvel of the photographer or his/her equipments, its rather, due to luck ^^

:think: interesting.. i never knew..

shoot, shoot and shoot!

of cos u must review ur pictures and den think of how you can improve..

hopefully u can improve on ur next shoot... my 2 cents worth though im not pro ;)

thank you very much for all the replies.. I definitely appreciate it very much. I needed help in those as i was required to do some research for my portfolio.. Im not here for spoon feeding but require some sincere help.. But anyway, thank you once again for ur response.. :)

your initial question are too general.

that make people think you want to be spool feed. eg. do this or press this button and you picture will be turn perfect.

so it will be good if you could ask a question to be more specific in future, it will help you and other people too.

thank you very much for all the replies.. I definitely appreciate it very much. I needed help in those as i was required to do some research for my portfolio.. Im not here for spoon feeding but require some sincere help.. But anyway, thank you once again for ur response.. :)
You are welcome. You'll get all the help you need here, there are a lot of helpful people here but the one that can give you the most help is yourself. I agree with catchlights, next time be a bit more specific. Anyway, welcome to the world of photography and to CS.

If yours is really P&S, ie. no manual control whatsoever, only auto
Just learn some basic rules of composition and try to apply them
shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.