Need Help!

amoscbh

Jan 6, 2011
hi seniors, need your help to enlighten me on what is wrong with my camera because this is the first time i encounter such a problem!

These photos were all taken under the same lighting conditions but the white balance was totally wrong. i changed the white balance from auto to white fluorescent light but the images still had the random yellow/green/blue tint to it.

Another problem is the yellow/green streak across picture #4. I thought it could be a lens problem but the problem persisted even after i changed into another lens.

Can anyone advise me on what is the problem here?? thanks alot in advance!!

I'm betting that you are shooting at faster than 1/50s shutter speed. Since fluorescent light actually flickers, you are catching the "flickers". You need to slow down your shutter speed to 1/50s or lower.

Nothing wrong with your camera. It is Fluorescent Light Banding issue that most digital camera would suffer from.

What is causing this orange banding? Canon 5D 50mm f/1.4 - Photo.net Wedding and social event photography Forum (the TS of that thread faces the same problem as you too.)

http://photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00PrQY said:
-- "The lights in the room were office flourenscent lights."

If that was your main lightsource, you should have slowed down your shutter speed. Fluorescent light has no constant colortemperature. Colortemperature oscillates with the double frequency of your mains power.

The images you've posted were taken with 1/500sec , 1/1250sec and 1/4000sec. Its important to understand, that if you set exposure time to 1/4000sec, the shutter cycle itself takes much longer than that. (That is the main reason, why this super short time helps absolutely nothing in this case).

The consens with fluorescent light is, that you have to slow down shutter speed. 1/125sec or 1/60sec would have worked much better.

Last edited:
I'm betting that you are shooting at faster than 1/50s shutter speed. Since fluorescent light actually flickers, you are catching the "flickers". You need to slow down your shutter speed to 1/50s or lower.

Rashkae, yes you are absolutely right. it was at 1/800, way too fast. Boosted the iso because i didnt want to miss some shots, backfired in the end haha

Nothing wrong with your camera. It is Fluorescent Light Banding issue that most digital camera would suffer from.

What is causing this orange banding? Canon 5D 50mm f/1.4 - Photo.net Wedding and social event photography Forum (the TS of that thread faces the same problem as you too.)

Thanks for the link! The thread is also very helpful!
just a follow up question, so if i have to capture action shots, eg. kids running about, is it correct to use external flash to "counter" the fluorescent light flickers??

just a follow up question, so if i have to capture action shots, eg. kids running about, is it correct to use external flash to "counter" the fluorescent light flickers??

Yup! A good bounce flash would work wonders here.