Need help with Tripods

river811

Mar 26, 2011
Hi guys, first post in CS!

I've been considering getting a tripod to take Macro shots, night shots and try out light painting. I sort of know what I'm looking for, but I need some help with the terms used in Tripods.
1. Some 3 legs open up together, some can be moved individually. At really awkward angles. What is this feature called? I read about it somewhere some time ago. Is it "non-geared legs" or something like that?
2. I need something with a removable center piece so that I can place my camera close to to the ground. Again, what is this feature called?
3. If anyone would be so kind to suggest a particular model that suits my needs. This will make my search faster as defending the nation leaves me very little time in front of the computer.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Any suggestions of models of "Tripod with centre column that can be mounted horizontally"?
Other than the pricey manfrotto CF ones.

Any suggestions of models of "Tripod with centre column that can be mounted horizontally"?

Manfrotto CF series are not really pricey. Gitzo equivalent easily cost you over $1k.

Drop by TK Photo at Funan, they carry various tripods like Sirui. You might be able to get one that fits your need.

The cheapest ones with this feature is the Manfrotto 190xprob. The aluminium ones. I used one for a couple of years. Very rock solid tripod.

ed9119 said:
try the gitzo explorer

Haha if he think manfrotto CF ones are expensive, I think he will faint when he see the Gitzo explorer series:bsmilie:

thanks for all replies!
if you guys see another NSF fainting casualty, high chance its because i checked out the gitzo price. hahah.

edit: the typos. lol

Last edited:
thanks for all replies!
if you guys see another NSF fainting casualty, got chance is cause i checked out the gitzmo price. hahah.

Gitzmo tripod shouldn't be too expensive (I'm just guessing here)...

I'm assuming this is a rip-off of the original Gitzo ;)

ZerocoolAstra said:

lol.. ZCA, Gitzmo is the MIC version..

Got such brand, just that it's not 3 legged or anything you can imagine of :bsmilie: http://www.gitzmo.com

Last edited:
Sgdevilzz said:
Got such brand, just that it's not 3 legged or anything you can imagine of :bsmilie: http://www.gitzmo.com

Oh my... that looks expensive. Probably more $$$ than Gitzo...
No wonder will faint ;p

Ok ok this has gone way off course Liao.

ZerocoolAstra said:

I bought a Gitzo at jurong point , having offer $206 ...

If you don't have a budget limit get Gitzo.

If you want something very value for money, try Sirui.
I am using 1, very stable and light~

1 china brand which is pretty good, - fotopro