Need help with this pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Galaa

http://www.pbase.com/image/1475457

I took this with my Olympus C2100UZ, P mode, ESP metering.Sun was very bright behind the subjects... Pic came out horrible... What should I do to take such pics?

Thanks!

Hi Galaa,

In your pic the background is very bright and your subject is dark. The picture will look a lot better just by turning on your flash. It will preserve the background while filling some light on your subject. Depending on the lighting condition, using flash compensation might also help make the pic looks better, by making the subject looking more natural by reducing the harsh shadows but not completely eliminating them. For example, in harsh afternoon sunlight, a -1EV flash compensation is normally used to reduce the harsh shadows on the face, especially the sun is at the back. In cloudy condition -1.5 to -2EV would be useful. :)

Or you can use spot metering on the faces of the people to expose them properly. But the downside to that is that the background will be overexposed. So Ziploc's method is actually better. :)

Whats the difference between spot and center weighed metering?

In some situations I might be too far to use flash

Originally posted by Galaa
Whats the difference between spot and center weighed metering?

In some situations I might be too far to use flash

center-weighted, as the name implies, gives more emphasis to the center portion of the frame for exposure calculations. Spot metering is kinda the extreme, which onli takes a small spot usually in the center of the frame to calculate exposure.

if too far to use flash, get an external flash or use spot-metering lor. Or salvage the dark faces of the subjects by adjusting levels in Photoshop. :)

close distance like 2-4 m , you can use internal flash ... if > 4m , recommended to use external flash ...

:light: :light: :light:
flash flash flash

Hmm...I suspect your cam's metering was decieved by the bright background, thus rendering the subjects to appear underexposed...perhaps you can meter off something like a gray card or something that is not bright, i.e. the floor, which is not reflective? ;)

Originally posted by Galaa
http://www.pbase.com/image/1475457

I took this with my Olympus C2100UZ, P mode, ESP metering.Sun was very bright behind the subjects... Pic came out horrible... What should I do to take such pics?

Thanks!

meter off your friends skin, remember technical settings, go manual, click the flash up and thats it.

cuz background too bright, ur camera esp digicams not clever enuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.