Need Help With taking Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngwixn

Aug 31, 2009
I am kinda new to DSLR. I personally is using a Canon EOS 500D with the kit lens 18-55.
Is this lens suitable for taking landscape? If not which lens would you guys recommend?

If the camera is still new to you (as you are to the camera), why not go out and shoot some pictures to see if your setup can take the landscapes that you desire? 18mm on your 500D should be ok for normal landscapes, and the longer 55mm end should provide some isolation of individual elements of the landscape.

Later if you feel the need for even more breadth, you can explore the range of ultra-wide lenses that go into 10-12mm focal lengths, but those are not for everyone. No need to jump on that boat before you finish exploring what you have.

Don't even think about buying new stuff if you haven't even explored your current setup.

Shooting at the 18mm end should be fine for a start. It's probably a better idea to start learning with the kit lens first, grasp the concept of landscape photography before upgrading.

I am kinda new to DSLR. I personally is using a Canon EOS 500D with the kit lens 18-55.
Is this lens suitable for taking landscape? If not which lens would you guys recommend?
dont worry about it. if you use photoshop, just be sure to use Distortion.

Don't even think about buying new stuff if you haven't even explored your current setup.
Rashkae, well said.
Doesn't that sound just like me when I started?
ngwixn, yeah, go ahead and shoot some landscape and I am sure you will find them improving week to week with your kit lens at its 18mm.

Good advice there Rashkae.

TS, you can try stiching photo together 1st using software.
Patience my friend... patience.....

18mm can take landscapes.

55mm also can take landscapes.

the mentality is the issue, not the equipment.

when you find that you can take landscapes, but something is missing, you will know what to get next.

kit lens (pentax) 18-55

499526359_d30158b313.jpg

525910511_2a0f7ea4f6.jpg

524982545_8d757651ea.jpg

3687442428_efe11e1fcc.jpg

3182624375_2a6ce80b20.jpg

Last edited:
Great advice from fellow members.

Once you kena poisoned with Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a lot of time of time is spent on browsing lens brochures, personal classified ads - Time that you can better spend honing your skills. For landscape photography, browse a lot of landscape photos - what works, what doesn't. Borrow books from the library, sign up an account in www.scribd.com and search for landscape photography (don't want to over-elaborate here but you can get a lot of free ebooks and advice - Hint hint).

There are a wealth of resources if you know where to look.

But yeah, agree with all the above - shoot more. Gear comes later, Art first. :)

kit lens is a budget "pau sua pau hai" lens, if it can't do this or can't do that, what is the point of giving an useless lens to consumers?

shooting landscape is not always, or only on ultra wide angle, some time you only need wideangle, sometime use normal focal length, some time tele.

make full use of the kit lens first, even you are specialize in shooting landscape, the focal length of kit lens still cover more than 70% of what you are shooting.

Love these, man. The 2nd and 3rd too saturated for my liking but that's subjective. :thumbsup:

:p actually, i agree with you. those were done in earlier days.. when i didn't have a calibrated monitor, shot in jpg, and played with contrast sliders.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

kit lens is a budget "pau sua pau hai" lens, if it can't do this or can't do that, what is the point of giving an useless lens to consumers?

because if not, they won't have fun looking at the mirror moving up and down? ;p;p

Same advice as others , explore with the kit lens first :)

because if not, they won't have fun looking at the mirror moving up and down? ;p;p

dun understand leh :dunno: care to elaborate ;p

Thanks for the advice guys. :D I will explore my current set-up and learn from it.
Nice Photos Night86mare.

most people buy camera with kit lens.. because it is cheap..

imagine if all the camera companies offer body only all round, and scrapped kit lens. i bet there'd be a lot less dslrs around. :)

Same advice as others , explore with the kit lens first :)

I guess NM is referring to without mounting a lens, you can see the mirror flipping up and down thru the lens mount.

anyway, my point is why some people does not regard kit lens is a very useful lens, it cover the most widely use focal length of the general subjects, a pro f2.8 lens also cover the same focal length too.

if a photographer can't shoot well with a kit lens, getting a better lens won't help much with his works.

:p actually, i agree with you. those were done in earlier days.. when i didn't have a calibrated monitor, shot in jpg, and played with contrast sliders.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

That's exactly what I'm doing now and experimenting with lots of effects from Picasa 3.5 and irfanview. Cheap and Good. :bsmile:

Now, i've to google how to calibrate monitor.... hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.