Need help with sunbirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortega

Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
I am thinking of going to SBG to shoot sunbirds.
I am inspired by the shots of these birds here

Can anyone please give me some pointers that will have me in shooting these lovely creatures?
What time is best to catch them?
Where in SBG is best to catch them?
What focal length lens do I need?

blah, blah, blah
Any information is greatly appreciated

Thanks

best time to shoot them is 7am -9am loh..more attive.....

zoom lens? 300mm or more.....with a 500mm , u dont have to go to near as they are quite shy...( underless u found some that are not camera shy! hee hee..)

Happy hunting...go early..rule one!

eikin said:
upz! where are the SBG and sunbird experts? ;p
Sleeping early to catch the early birds tomorrow? :bsmilie:
Maybe can try the World of Nature subforum.

Just in case anyone thinking of bringing tripods/monopods, I think can leave them at home. Sunbirds are extremely active and are even quite hard to catch handheld. It is however possible to be rather near them (abt 2-3m), so maybe a 200mm would suffice. I prefer at least 300mm if possible as they are really tiny. 8-10am is their "breakfast" time and they would feed on the flowers of bird of paradise plant, so you might want to "camp" there ;)

Ortega you guys going on Friday rite? Dun think its possible to join liao, got sch :angel:

The last time I went to SBG for sunbirds with some regulars was at 7-10am.
Tripod? Yes, all of us brought our tripods. U are using a IS, of cos no need lah. :sticktong

where exactly is the flowers of bird of paradise plant located?
I think that a monopod or tripod will be necessary for old tired hands like mine.

The best time to go is ard 0830H to 1100H. They are most active ard the time of 0900H onwards when the sun shine on the Heliconia. Tripod, Monopod are a good thing to have. Most of the sunbirds over there, are not very shy with the camera so you can go quite close to it. Just take note that a distance of abt 1.5-2m is best. Stalk your prey, no sudden movment. Once they start feeding, you got abt 10-30s to hit a few shots, take care not to be too excited and fire away. Observe a while before shooting.

ortega said:
where exactly is the flowers of bird of paradise plant located?
I think that a monopod or tripod will be necessary for old tired hands like mine.

Hi Ortega, I know where those flowers and birds are, but haven't caught any good one yet. Thinking of going there tomorrow morning (1st day of CNY). Hope to have some companies there ;)

Cheers!

aiyah, if you guys go on Sunday mornings I can join in too. I'm there every Sunday for family walk from 7-10am. I know where the sunbirds typically are

knoxknocks said:
aiyah, if you guys go on Sunday mornings I can join in too. I'm there every Sunday for family walk from 7-10am. I know where the sunbirds typically are

wah, you sounded like someone living in district 11 ;p just joking ...

i am still shooting on film, but most likely won't do sunbirds as i don't have the lens :( but will be nice if someone can advise on what to look out for when using film cameras for shooting sunbirds, will try when got chance ... thanks!!!

Hello Ortega... i find that 300mm - 400mm is the best for shooting them.
Preferably a lens that can focus fast cos they just cannot stand still.
For shooting in SBG, you will need a fast lens or a high iso 500-800, that area behind the symphony stage is quite shady in the morning.

Have fun!

so, when's the sunbird shoot? I'd like to join.

Go take some crappy shots and then go back tell CFO need to buy a 2x teleconverter... :bsmilie: :angel:

OK went to SBG today with eikin and hpcjen.
Totally enjoyed the shoot, a refreshing change of subject and a new challenge for me.

If you are interested you can view my shots here

Thanks to all the people who gave pointers.

HotSpots said:
so, when's the sunbird shoot? I'd like to join.

Go take some crappy shots and then go back tell CFO need to buy a 2x teleconverter... :bsmilie: :angel:

Don't forget that raccoon is on clubsnap also!! There goes your 2X teleconverter :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.