Need Help! With Regards to PC Sync Hotshoe Adaptor for use with PW/Skyports

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidityzero

Jun 9, 2005
Ok guys. I am at a loss right now. I have recently puchased a set of Elinchrom Skyports for use with my SB-800 & SB-600. As you all may know, the Skyports use the PC to 3.5mm mono jack cable to connect the flash to the triggers, same ones for PW & ebay triggers. Problem is...my Nikon SB-600 does not have a PC sync port. I guess Canon users should also have this similar problem?

I therefore have 2 options. Option 1. I need to purchase a hotshoe adaptor with a PC Sync terminal like this http://www.flashzebra.com/hotshoes-shoes/0065.shtml Option 2. The best solution is to go for something like this http://www.flashzebra.com/wizardcables/hotshoe.shtml. Unfortunately, solution 2 is not available, as it seems like only Flashzebra carry this particular model & they have been out of stock for many months.

In the end, I went ahead to buy an optical slave trigger, exactly like the one shown here. http://store.tagotech.com/images/hotshoe-optic.jpg
The thing is, it does not work at all, despite some similar set-ups I have seen around on the net! There is nothing wrong with my connection & my PC-to-3.5mm cords. Now I am not so sure if buying another hotshoe adaptor will ever solve my problem.

So my question is, what should I do? Is there a way to modify my hotshoe optical slaves to get it to work? Paramount cords offer the same solution as Option 2, but it's too expensive for my liking and I don't think I wanna pay that kind of money. However, I did see some people use a Kaiser hotshoe adaptor with a PC sync end, the ones you can find around more in shops like CP, and modify the PC jack to a 3.5mm mono jack. Do you think I should try this & bring it to some shops in Sim Lim to help me change the jack? Do you guys reckon it's an easy mod to do? Or is there any other PC sync hotshoe adaptors that you guys can recommend and where to get them?

Thanks for your time for reading through my enquiries, & hope to hear more from the bros here who have been in this situation before. Thanks!

If you prefer Option #2. get any normal wired hotshoe adapter like that which has a PC cord, cut off the PC syncro plug, and solder a 3.5mm mono jack on it. The adapter should cost anywhere from $10 - $20, and a reasonable 3.5mm jack a few dollars.

I customised all my cords and syncs for much better reliability and durability since I used the PW adapters, and they are absolute crap! Failed on me twice on assignments.

Thanks for the reply! It shouldn't be too difficult to bring the wired hotshoe adaptor to an audio/visual cable shop & ask them to resolder it yeah? Any particular shops u can recommend that have done this kind of jobs before? I only know of this shop in Sim Lim Square level 2. I don't have the proper tools and know nuts about soldering jobs so better let the pros do the job for me. =P Prob will head down tomorrow to give it a shot.

Yeah, I heard that there's an old man on the 2nd floor of SLS that does resoldering. ;)

I've used the Kaiser hotshoe adaptor, cheap as s**t (in terms of cost, as well as quality)

Dream Merchant, you should have your own MO for those adaptors you make :cool: I'm a willing customer :)

I've used the Kaiser hotshoe adaptor, cheap as s**t (in terms of cost, as well as quality)

Dream Merchant, you should have your own MO for those adaptors you make :cool: I'm a willing customer :)

Well, I don't know if there's enough photographers needing adapters etc for me to stock up ... and also, different people need or prefer different configurations.

If you need help with a custom-made set, let me know. ;)

I think it will be great! Esp for pple with non-PC sync flashes looking for a solution to hook up their radio triggers with. Canon users will be flocking to get their needed configurations from you ;)

Actually, even off-shoe flash users WITH PC sync ports will need a PW adapter to hook up their receivers to the flash, and it's exactly these little PW adapters that are both horrendously expensive ($20 from CP; can't find anywhere else that has them; I tried all the usual industrial electronic stores), and more importantly, FRAGILE!!!

I actually had failures at two separate assignments, and thought it was faulty transmitters or receivers and went back to CP on two separate occasions before we could identify the problem. Even the FOC replacements did not really help, because if they're THAT fragile, it means that it's only a matter of time before they give out again.

When I spoke with them, I told them that I was generally quite careful as my units don't get banged around, and they informed me that the PW adapters were very fragile ... so in the end, I decided to hot wire all my sync cords (I don't use normal ones since I use Metz Flash units with appropriate jacks ... and I guess I'll re-do my off-cam hotshoe adapter as well once I find time to get supplies.

So far, on the direct from flash PC cords with 3.5mm jacks permanently attached, they've been strong and reliable ... as in, I can store my cords wrapped round the flash, and just chuck it in my luggage bag with no problems! When I need to use them, I just unwrap both power cables and PC cord and hook them up straight-away instead of having to fumble around with seperately stored cabels and adapters and jacks a bla bla bla! LOL!

YEAHH!! Problem solved! Exchanged my optical slave adaptor for a wired shot shoe adaptor, and went to SLS 2nd floor, Sin Li & asked the girl there to help me to change the PC sync end to 3.5mm mono jack. Success! My SB-600 & Skyports are finally working together! Cost me only 5 bucks to change the head. Thanks Dream Merchant for your advice. =)
Time to say goodbye to CLS which have served me well but inconsistently, as well as my crappy ebay triggers!

YEAHH!! Problem solved! Exchanged my optical slave adaptor for a wired shot shoe adaptor, and went to SLS 2nd floor, Sin Li & asked the girl there to help me to change the PC sync end to 3.5mm mono jack. Success! My SB-600 & Skyports are finally working together! Cost me only 5 bucks to change the head. Thanks Dream Merchant for your advice. =)
Time to say goodbye to CLS which have served me well but inconsistently, as well as my crappy ebay triggers!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

HAPPY SHOOTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.