Need Help with Passport Photo for Malaysia Passport

Silas

Apr 12, 2010
I'm in the process of helping somebody renew Malaysian Passport via the online portal and ran into some difficulties trying to get the correct specifications of the photo.

I tried uploading the softcopy photo (35x50mm) taken at a photo shop but it gets rejected with message stating 'image to large'. I subsequently tried taking another photo and resizing it to various sizes of the same aspect ratio but nothing seems to work with the portal. Link to photo requirements as listed on the website.

Wondering if there is anyone here with experience with this and can advise the specified settings needed. Will appreciate any help, thanks!

there is no specifications stated on their page, you can try using the specification from Singapore's passport application

there is no specifications stated on their page, you can try using the specification from Singapore's passport application

Thanks for the tip, will try it out and see if it works.

Did it work?

Nope, as reported in the news recently, its a big disaster with their website. Got the photo shop that took the PP photo to help and the shop is still working on it. Will have to wait and see before i update again

See this website

The photo you submit MUST follow the required dimensions and MUST have white background.
You can only upload the softcopy of the photo taken in a professional photo shop.

For ladies wearing head cover or hijab, choose dark colours preferably black and make sure your face is clearly visible.

The cropping of the photo done online might not be perfect. If that happens, you will get a call from an immigration officer and you will be asked to bring the hardcopy when you go to collect your new passport.

Credit: static.imoney.my

online-passport-application-photo-size.jpg

thanks for the tips, so having exhausted all processing and etc... ideas despite getting all the dimensions and also ratio of the face per the specifications, it still didnt go thru. In the end, the person went back to the photo shop that did the passport photo. The shop owner then used photoshop to remove some loose strands of hair from the head. Then reuploaded to the website and it cleared... Geesh!!! i was told about what was done afterwards...

I am using passport photo apps to get my photos done for myself n relative. So far so good, as long the glasses got no reflection, they will accept. The apps will auto crop for you, just choose right kind of passport.

Reactions: scarletliam
I am using passport photo apps to get my photos done for myself n relative. So far so good, as long the glasses got no reflection, they will accept. The apps will auto crop for you, just choose right kind of passport.
Which app that you use?

The error message "image too large" is misleading when read together with the physical size specification of the PP photo. This is because the upload size is the image digital file size and not the physical dimension. Depending on the dpi or ppi when you save or scan the image, the file size will differ greatly. The jpg compression also matters as a high-quality jpg may be several times larger than a medium quality one.

I suspect that the photos shop uploaded the file with a lower (but acceptable) quality and a lower ppi. You can confirm this if you have both digital files and comparing their file sizes.