Need Help with NEW lens

at0m87

Jun 11, 2011
Yishun
Hi guys,

i just got a new sony a55, the lens that came with it is a 18-55mm lens.

i got a question to ask, is it normal to feel a little resistance when turning the lens from 18 to 55mm?

when i turn the lens from 18 to 35 everything is smooth, then from 35-55 it become kinda tight and not smooth and will cause the camera to jerk a little which can be noticed on the live finder even when i try my best to hold the camera steady. the camera will stay steady as i push from 18 to 35 but jerk after 35.

Normal?

turn it from 18 - 55 in a smooth motion. then try turning from 18 - 35, then stop, then turn from 35 - 55 in another smooth motion. did it help?

Just do this:

1. Remove the lens from the body

2. Zoom it from 18mm to 55mm for about 50 to 100 times and it'll become smooth :bsmilie:

kei1309 said:
turn it from 18 - 55 in a smooth motion. then try turning from 18 - 35, then stop, then turn from 35 - 55 in another smooth motion. did it help?

I will try when the camera is with me. Thanks.

Diavonex said:
Just do this:

1. Remove the lens from the body

2. Zoom it from 18mm to 55mm for about 50 to 100 times and it'll become smooth :bsmilie:

Do i really have to do this? If this isnt normal i could actually go exchange 1-1 within 7 days.

Hi guys,

i just got a new sony a55, the lens that came with it is a 18-55mm lens.

i got a question to ask, is it normal to feel a little resistance when turning the lens from 18 to 55mm?

when i turn the lens from 18 to 35 everything is smooth, then from 35-55 it become kinda tight and not smooth and will cause the camera to jerk a little which can be noticed on the live finder even when i try my best to hold the camera steady. the camera will stay steady as i push from 18 to 35 but jerk after 35.

Normal?

It's normal. You'll realize the lens extends and retracts - at 18mm it's extended, at 35mm it's retracted, and at 55mm it's extended again. The resistance you feel is when the retracting mechanism switches from one "lane" to the next.

If it helps to clarify... When going from 55mm to 35mm, you are moving the outer lens elements inwards. But to go from 35 to 18, you need to re-extend the outer elements *and* an internal element at the same time to achieve the wideangle - hence the extra resistance.

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
It's normal. You'll realize the lens extends and retracts - at 18mm it's extended, at 35mm it's retracted, and at 55mm it's extended again. The resistance you feel is when the retracting mechanism switches from one "lane" to the next.

If it helps to clarify... When going from 55mm to 35mm, you are moving the outer lens elements inwards. But to go from 35 to 18, you need to re-extend the outer elements *and* an internal element at the same time to achieve the wideangle - hence the extra resistance.

Thanks for clarifying, so all lenses that extend and retract and extended again will have this effect?

Thanks for clarifying, so all lenses that extend and retract and extended again will have this effect?

More or less, but also depends on the size of the elements you need to move. The resistance may be more noticeable, or barely noticeable at all.

it's a good thing cos you know that it's so new that it's still tight. :D

thanks for all your feedback guys!