Need help with my first DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

amatuer

May 19, 2007
Hello Everyone

I am student who is currently quite into photography.

Any idea where i can get 2nd hand DSLRs with a budget of under SGD$800? (Is this even possible?!)

Any models to recommend?

I am not looking for anything fanciful, just some thing that i can play with to discover more about photography.

I hope you can help me ! Thanks a lot ! =)

you can find second hand stuff here...look under the buy and sell section..maybe u can get a nikon d70s or a canon 350d....

hey there, sorry for the reply, i'm no pro either, i'm like you. looking for a SLR too! and prefer it to be 2nd hand! So, any information?:)

Hello Everyone

Any idea where i can get 2nd hand DSLRs with a budget of under SGD$800? (Is this even possible?!)

Any models to recommend?

I am not looking for anything fanciful, just some thing that i can play with to discover more about photography.

Not impossible, but don't expect the latest models or the best conditions, or warranty still.

D50, slightly used D40s, even D70.. The body alone only, anyways.

Btw, you can get a first hand Pentax K100D at $860. Why not just bump $60 more and get hold of an excellent camera first hand, WITH kit lens? Shrug. I'm a student too, and I know what I want.

Well, why get a dslr? Just get a prosumer first...

hmm what is a posumer may i ask ?

By the way, are there any physical seconf hand shops around?

And also how much do lens kits normally cost ?

prosumer*

A prosumer, I believe is similar to a (D)SLR. Just no changing of lenses and stuff. But you have add-ons that you can add. And I heard you can get a new Olympus E-500 with kit lenses at $800. Can anyone confirm this? :D

Wow i see, actually i also don't mind settling for something really budget.

hmm what is a posumer may i ask ?
It is what is also known as a bridge camera. Larger than your normal handbag P&S (Point and Shoot) cameras.. In short, generally P&S cameras are anything that's small and nifty and compact.

Prosumers would be cameras with much larger zoom ranges - 10x to 12x usually, and much more advanced features. Optics (meaning, lens) wise it'd not be very much superior to P&S but well, you have your zoom range. The main idea is MANUAL CONTROL, which most lower end P&S cameras would not offer you, and MANUAL CONTROL is what allows you to get more creative, etc.

Of course no prosumer can compare to a DSLR, but if you're entirely new to the hobby, I suggest you do some reading up before you jump into DSLR direct. For me, I went prosumer first, before I knew that I needed a DSLR.

Some examples of prosumers include Panny FZ8, Sony H2/5 (I used the H2, so I will push it as far as I can, I know Rashkae would too), Canon S3 IS, and the list goes on.

There are pros and cons of using a prosumer, as ludicrous as it sounds. I have found my finances slightly challenged because there's always something more which seems so essential, but I guess I finally have everything I need for now, after purchasing new tripod head, dust cleaning tools (if you hate this, get an Olympus), etc etc.

A prosumer, I believe is similar to a (D)SLR. Just no changing of lenses and stuff. But you have add-ons that you can add. And I heard you can get a new Olympus E-500 with kit lenses at $800. Can anyone confirm this? :D

Not quiteeeee.

E-500 with kit lens new? $800? Don't think so. But the dual kit lens set is quite a bargain, I've heard.

Thanks for the explanation. :) May not be $800 but definitely less than $1000 for the dual kit lens.

Cool probably i could check them out first.

Thanks a lot for all the advice !

Yes, a prosumer (professional + consumer) camera is a camera between a PnS and a DSLR. Unlike the DSLR, you cannot change the lens of the camera but it offers you controls of a DSLR. Some of the models you can check is the Canon S5IS, Fuji S6500fd, S9600, Olympus SP-550UZ, C-8080, Sony DSC-H5/7/9. Do check out the features of each cam and see which suits you better.

Hello Everyone

Any models to recommend?

possible around that range, but not any lower than that. but you got to be a little sensitive and not too picky, or else you may just piss off some sellers thinking you are asking for too much.

among the 2nd hand B&S, for nikon, there should be at least D70 and D50 for consideration. about $600-800 for D70, $700-900 for D50 body. if they are of such pricing, it would be off warranty. for nikon build, the exterior is usually still quite new, so no issue.

if you get a D70 or a really cheap buy for D50, you may still have say $100-150 for a lens. i would say that is probably ok for getting a 2nd-hand kit lens or a 2nd-hand 50mm f/1.8.

for other brands, older models in canon should be there too although i'm not sure. i assume that older pentax and olympus models would fit the bill too, as they are traditionally cheaper to fight the two giants. minolta can be considered too, i guess, although they are hard to find on the market.

what is the price range like? just curious, as i've never used one before,
Anywhere from $400 second-hand to brand new $700 thereabouts.

Newer models would cost a bit more, of course. And there are exceptions like the Sony R1 with a DSLR-sized sensor. =)

By the way, are there any physical seconf hand shops around?

And also how much do lens kits normally cost ?

there are physical second hand shops around...penisular plaza..or the camera work shop located in the building in between penisular plaza and funan.

But i dun advise you to buy from there..the equipment probably not as good condition as those online from direct sellers, these stores usually display the cameras for sale on their shelf, think about it, the dust and stuff....even if they are in good condition..think about it..you will probably pay more as the store will need to earn some money too rite?

The best place is still B&S section. seriously.

*maybe u just wanna go take a look at the cameras is it..?*

the most budget kit lens, for nikon would be the 18-55 lens. Its a very good lens actually. Has closer focus distance than many other lens. you can get it second hand for around $100(no warranty of course..)

i think you can try reading up more ..can try www.dpreview.com or www.kenrockwell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.