need help with lens choice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

reminiscenc-e

Nov 2, 2008
hi, was considering renting a lens for a fieldtrip but can't decide which one.

shortlisted these 3:
1. canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM
2. canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II L USM
3. canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM (previously used this one and had some CA issues..minimum focusing distance is also greater than the other 2)

any recommendations which one's good with a 400D? any help is greatly appreciated:)

edit: i'm looking for a walkabout lens to use for general purposes during the fieldtrip, will be good if the lens can also take decent close-up shots (of eg plants and insects). not too worried about how wide it is as i already have a 10-22mm.

Last edited:
Since you are renting a lens (as opposed to buying one), I think the 17-55 IS USM is the way to go.

and where will this field trip be?

Since you are renting a lens (as opposed to buying one), I think the 17-55 IS USM is the way to go.

why not the L? im worried about image quality... thanks though :D

why not the L? im worried about image quality... thanks though :D
The 17-55 has the same excellent optical qualities (and similar price points) as the 24-70L/24-105L zooms, just without the build quality (e.g. weather sealing with 1-series cameras, etc...). The 17-55 is the best compromise between the 16-35 (wide but not enough reach) and the 24-70 (too narrow on APS-C cameras on the wide end). Plus you get IS as well =p.

shortlisted these 3:
3. canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM (previously used this one and had some CA issues..minimum focusing distance is also greater than the other 2)

any recommendations which one's good with a 400D? any help is greatly appreciated:)

No. 2 & 3 = 1.6x

So obviously No.1 17-55 since you are just renting it to meet that day requirements. If you are determined to landscape, do consider 10-22, its EFS too.

I'd go for the EF-S 17-55mm since its a 1.6x crop body. 24mm on the 1.6x crop is certainly not wide enough and the 24-70 is a very heavy lens in comparision with the 400D.

shortlisted these 3:

just a thought...can you afford to pay for the lenses if they got damaged?

depending on what you want to shoot, i recommend the IS lenses 18-55 + 55-250 or 18-200 if willing to splurge.

The 17-55 has the same excellent optical qualities (and similar price points) as the 24-70L/24-105L zooms, just without the build quality (e.g. weather sealing with 1-series cameras, etc...). The 17-55 is the best compromise between the 16-35 (wide but not enough reach) and the 24-70 (too narrow on APS-C cameras on the wide end). Plus you get IS as well =p.

hmm okay. thanks so much for the help! :)

No. 2 & 3 = 1.6x

So obviously No.1 17-55 since you are just renting it to meet that day requirements. If you are determined to landscape, do consider 10-22, its EFS too.

was thinking more of renting a walkabout lens, which can take decent close-up shots. i have a 10-22mm so don't need to worry about covering wide angles.

I'd go for the EF-S 17-55mm since its a 1.6x crop body. 24mm on the 1.6x crop is certainly not wide enough and the 24-70 is a very heavy lens in comparision with the 400D.

okay. thanks so much for the help! :)

just a thought...can you afford to pay for the lenses if they got damaged?

depending on what you want to shoot, i recommend the IS lenses 18-55 + 55-250 or 18-200 if willing to splurge.

might be able to pay for the 17-55, not sure about the L. never considered that before..thanks for pointing it out :)

i have a telephoto (55-250) and a wideangle (10-22) currently, so i need a walkabout lens that i can use for general purposes during the fieldtrip. will be good if it can also take decent close ups (of eg plants, insects).

might be able to pay for the 17-55, not sure about the L. never considered that before..thanks for pointing it out :)

i have a telephoto (55-250) and a wideangle (10-22) currently, so i need a walkabout lens that i can use for general purposes during the fieldtrip. will be good if it can also take decent close ups (of eg plants, insects).
back when i was using Canon, for trips i was using the 55-250 IS for almost all my shots. Close wide angle i would use a PnS. The idea is using a PnS wont scare the locals + having two cameras complement each other means at least if one memory card corrupt, the other should be fine.

back when i was using Canon, for trips i was using the 55-250 IS for almost all my shots. Close wide angle i would use a PnS. The idea is using a PnS wont scare the locals + having two cameras complement each other means at least if one memory card corrupt, the other should be fine.

but PnS's quality's nowhere near a DSLR's :p won't meet much locals i think since its a school trip..and 55-250's image quality/exposure arent that exceptional. probably will be renting the 17-55..sounds rather okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.