Need Help With KL Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi peeps,

first time venturing to KL.have gathered some some.hope u guys can comment on the stuff i have found out and perhaps add on if u got better ideas.

Transport :
Coach from S'pore. abt $50 to and fro. from Novena. think the company is called First or something. departs abt 730am.
heard abt leaving from Larkin too. but think would wanna save the hassle.
are $50 abt the right price?

Accomodation :
will be travelling in a group of 5-6 ppl, all guys
heard that most stay in service appartments? Crown Prince at abt SGD $120 a night?
are there any cheaper service appartments around the area? in Ampang? would like a place near KLCC and the major night spots.

Shopping :
looking for average prices.imitation stuff or street markets style.not the KLCC type of shopping
Bukit Bintang area?
Mid Valley
Lot 10
Bt. Bintang Plaza
Petaling Jaya area?(is this place safe)
Times Square?
Bangsar area?

Food :
Pls suggest!!!

Nightspots/Clubbing :
Atmosphere
Bliss
Nouvo
Modestos
Beach Club
any places with crowds from abt 20-25?

pls add on if u have any ideas k? ;)
thanks thanks!!!

there are many coaches around, it depends on the level of comfort you are looking for.
lots of buses departing from golden mile (little thailand)

Food: must try their black hokkien mee

Best to make friends with some locals there and ask them for suggestions

Good planing for a first timer... go enjoy yourself.. don't waste time on finding the location..the "MRT" will bring you to most of the attraction there liao.

ortega said:
there are many coaches around, it depends on the level of comfort you are looking for.
lots of buses departing from golden mile (little thailand)

Food: must try their black hokkien mee

Best to make friends with some locals there and ask them for suggestions

Find the black hokkien mee so so leh...but better than most of the food liao..
somehow i still can't get use of the style of food there and most of the time end up eating fastfood....:cry: and aunty annie bread.

Prince Hotel is good. Stayed there during my last business trip. Good view of the Petronas Tower. (Depending direction you facing)

From Prince, walk a short distance to Jalan Alor, Bukit Bintang area and try the Grill Fish or "Ikan Panggang" at stall no. 41 "Hing Kee Grill Fish". Its very very good.

In Singapore, our grill fish usually cook in Banana leaves on Hot Plate, covered with lots of Sambal Chilli. In KL, its basically grilled naturally. The frangrance of the fish is simply outstanding.

The coach varies from company to company...some 26 seaters like Consortium or Nice or TranStar charge close to $30 one way....so yours $50 2 way considered OK......but if you adventurous, you buy the return from KL and you pay in RM...so can save about half.......some more luxury one like Nice2, Aeroline or Transtar 1st class(http://www.transtar.com.sg/olcoachquery.php) will cost double :D

Lodging in KL is not expensive especially for people from SG, range from RM100++ for 3 stars to RM200++ for 4 or 5 stars....As in which is good or not, I rather not comment since everyone have different expectation.....maybe use this as guideline http://www.cuti.com.my/ ...

I stayed in a few of them b4 and they are considered luxury to me (I am a very chin chai person :) ) If you are adventurous, you can walk in into those 2 to 3 stars hotel along "茨场街"....some 4 or 5 storeys shop house converted one are pretty nice with air cond and clean.....and the best is you got good location :thumbsup:

im from KL.. there are many many good food u can try here.. accomodation, iz all depends how luxery u wan..

Bukit Bintang area - Bak Kut Teh
Sungei Wang area - Rojak
Alor area - Ah Wa chicken wing
Alor area - Curry Mee
Petaling Street area - Ikan Bakar, Hokkien Mee, Wan Tan Mee, Dried Curry Mee

and lotz more!

Food to me everything is nice in Malaysia :)

Namely -- hokkian mee(Like fried black udong), hor fun, chee cheong fan(with 加料), yong tao fu, nasi lemak, roti canai (our prata basically), wan ton mee, lor mee, sea food, satay, mee goreng....even the ordinary mix rice taste nice :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it is a little hard for you guys to venture to further afield like famous Satay at Kajang, Yong Tao Fu at Ampang, Bak kut teh and Seafood at Port Klang :sweat:

If you happen to visit some of the mega mall, visit Madam Kwan restaurant for the local delight....very special and nice...and of coz comes with price...but I think most of us will not mind since SGD is about 2.27 to RM now :D

been working and stayed in kl for 2 years last time

if u're looking for apartment near klcc then Suitestay the one
i paid Rm240 a nite for 1 bedroom which was enough to accomodate
5 of us

for street shoppings
the best place will be at Petaling street aka chinatown
go there in day time before the crowd starts thats when
u can get the best bargain in town
eg: got my bushnell bino(imitation but it still works wonder..lol)
for rm25 only instead of rm60

for clubbing
widen ur search maybe would like to try Bangsar n Damansara area
or the new club at Avenue K (opposite KLCC) never been there though
but it looks kinda exclusive...heee

wainism said:
Shopping :
looking for average prices.imitation stuff or street markets style.not the KLCC type of shopping
Bukit Bintang area?
Mid Valley
Lot 10
Bt. Bintang Plaza
Times Square?
Bangsar area?

Try Sungei Wang Plaza or the Central Market/Petaling Street areas for the stuff you may want.

Petaling Jaya? It is much much safer than any of the places you had mentioned although I am not sure if you would be able to do any shopping (its very much an urban residential area with some commercial townships like the largest IKEA in this part of the world :)

wainism said:
Shopping :
Bukit Bintang area?
Mid Valley
Lot 10
Bt. Bintang Plaza
Times Square?
Bangsar area?

Btw these places are major tourism and local patron spot....so it's very safe...despite that
unfortunate things still happened, to name a few like the Connie case at Bangsar shopping central....so my advice is to stay in crowded area, practice common sense and do not take chance if you suspect anything amiss....it's close to CNY so a lot of crooks looking for ang pao money and robbery case will rise generally:thumbsup:

Immitation stuff I would say not as attractive as Bangkok etc:thumbsd:

Btw I frequently travelling to PJ(my family is there) and this place is a fantastic residential area :thumbsup: But I think it's a bit tought if you do not have your own transport:sweat:

wow!

seems like KL is gonna be fun.

okie, let me go read up on these places u have mentioned and will come back with more stuff to discuss.

thanks very much!!!

wah lau...

transtar just exploded into flames on AYE!!!

anyway,

anyone noes if prince hotel and crown prince is the same thing?

wainism said:
wah lau...

transtar just exploded into flames on AYE!!!

anyway,

anyone noes if prince hotel and crown prince is the same thing?

Really?? Don't see it on the online papers yet.. TranStar is quite an exclusive executive coach... surprised that it could happen. Was anyone hurt?

Anyway, another hotel I can recommend is the Concorde Hotel, KL. Its got hard Rock Cafe downstairs, and it located next to all the hottest clubs in town, i.e. along Jalan Sultan Ismail.. nice if you wanna party the night away and not worry about how you'll get back to the hotel afterwards :)

Gymrat76 said:
Really?? Don't see it on the online papers yet.. TranStar is quite an exclusive executive coach... surprised that it could happen.
Read it from The New Paper this afternoon. No one hurt.

U gonna have a good trip :)

I feel that Malaysia food are generally better than Singapore. Also take time to visit some street stall at night for some prata or teh tarik. Generally quite friendly people. Especially if you snap pictures of them and show it to them :)

Do watch out for "茨场街".... I don't think it's a decent/safe place to shop. U may just want to go there look to look see but stay away from those pirated DVD sellers. I got a Malaysia friend told me that there was once he was at a stall viewing VCD. Ask for a price but felt that the price not good,so he left. As he walk away for a while, the DVD seller ran up to him and "kok" his head... My friend only ask for the price!! After he told me that, I always stay away from the DVD sellers.

Do look out for a dirty "wan ton" mee stall at "茨场街".... outside the stall got one old man sell peanut pan cake. Both are good :) Then, walk 10 metres for a "long gan" drink.

Take bus from kranji mrt, CW1 malaysia bus SGD $2 will bring you to Larkin. SBS also can la. At Larkin, buy Konsortium coach. They have buses leave hourly. Ticket is RM $24!!! When you are in KL, you can buy ticket from Puda Raya bus terminal. Ticket RM $30 to come back Singapore. I went to ask a few stall, seems like they all tie down on their prices... 4 or 5 of them I asked, all quote me RM $30... If u are travelling one two weeks before or after CNY, u better can all your ticket booking first, it's mad rush in peak season, feels like refuge on the run...

These are my 5 cents worth :) enjoy!

KL is my favourite weekend destination:) Besides food and shopping, if you have the time, check out Taman Tasik Perdana (Lake Gardens) for some nature photography. Its pretty near KL city centre, about 7 minutes taxi ride from Central Market, or about a 30 minutes slow walk from Central Market.

If you have to buy your return coach tickets from KL, Puduraya, beware of cheats. You are advised to only buy from reputable coach operator ticket counters, there are at least 3 reputable operators plying the Singapore-KL route, go Beach Road Golden Mile Complex to take a look and you'll know.

DO NOT buy from the ticket touts in Puduraya or any unfamiliar coach operator counters, most of the time these people collaborate to cheat travellers desperate to get a ticket to Singapore. They'll charge you the price of a SVIP coach but put you in a 40 seater bus, but worst of all, the bus do not have the tour bus permit to enter Singapore. The common tactic they used is to bring you to JB Larkin terminal. The the driver will go missing in action until the passengers gave up and find their own way back to Singapore. If the passengers manage to locate the driver, he will start giving you all sorts of **** and bull on why he cannot goto Singapore.:angry:

Trust me, I got conned twice:sweat:

sunfish said:
KL is my favourite weekend destination:) Besides food and shopping, if you have the time, check out Taman Tasik Perdana (Lake Gardens) for some nature photography. Its pretty near KL city centre, about 7 minutes taxi ride from Central Market, or about a 30 minutes slow walk from Central Market.

If you have to buy your return coach tickets from KL, Puduraya, beware of cheats. You are advised to only buy from reputable coach operator ticket counters, there are at least 3 reputable operators plying the Singapore-KL route, go Beach Road Golden Mile Complex to take a look and you'll know.

DO NOT buy from the ticket touts in Puduraya or any unfamiliar coach operator counters, most of the time these people collaborate to cheat travellers desperate to get a ticket to Singapore. They'll charge you the price of a SVIP coach but put you in a 40 seater bus, but worst of all, the bus do not have the tour bus permit to enter Singapore. The common tactic they used is to bring you to JB Larkin terminal. The the driver will go missing in action until the passengers gave up and find their own way back to Singapore. If the passengers manage to locate the driver, he will start giving you all sorts of **** and bull on why he cannot goto Singapore.:angry:

Trust me, I got conned twice:sweat:

I oso kena once, since then I just stick to either of these companies:

1. Aeroline www.aeroline.com.sg
2. TranStar -but maybe reconsider now :bsmilie:
3. Nice2 - but their bus a bit run down, never maintain and service getting bad to worse
4. FirstCoach - my fav by far. Departs from Novena Sq, stops at Bangsar LRT station

I also wanted to go KL for the holidays, but the jam at Causeway and Second Link was very bad the last few weekends, heard ppl stuck there for 2-3 hours on each side!

Status
Not open for further replies.