Need help with internet connection

rhino123

Sep 1, 2006
NA
Brothers and sisters,

Need help with all of you out there... I am a computer idiot, I don't know much about computer, thus needed help with a problem I have been encountering recently,

I have a laptop computer and when plugged in to my network point wirelessly or wired, there show an internet connection, however I cannot access to any webpage at all... I try to use the incomputer diagnose option, but it didn't show any problem with the connection at all.

However, when I plug in a specific harddisk (and that harddisk alone), then the computer became able to access to the internet. It had been pretty frustrating because sometime I forget my harddisk in my office and I would have no internet access to any website at all.

Anyone with any idea how to solve this issue? Was it that I have set some files in that harddisk that was needed for the computer to read before it can access internet? And normally what files was needed for a computer to access before it can access the internet?

Really need help here :(

Ok... look at that particular harddisk I have, and found that everything seemed to be in place except for a couple of files that seemed suspicious.

0x0409.ini
ICE-1.4.4-for-32-bit-Windows.msi
Samsung Kies.msi

These are the files that I have absolutely no idea how they got to my harddisk. And if I was to move them back to my computer's own harddisk, which location should I put them? Or are they actually needed at all?

Ok... look at that particular harddisk I have, and found that everything seemed to be in place except for a couple of files that seemed suspicious.

0x0409.ini
ICE-1.4.4-for-32-bit-Windows.msi
Samsung Kies.msi

These are the files that I have absolutely no idea how they got to my harddisk. And if I was to move them back to my computer's own harddisk, which location should I put them? Or are they actually needed at all?

The last file is not required as that is the installation file for the samsung kies application. Not sure about the other 2 though.

.msi files are just installation files. Maybe your drivers and/or software required to complete the internet connection are in the hard disk and not on your laptop. When you plug in the hard disk, your system can "find" them and connect.

But the computer should be able to use Internet if there is connection. I think you should look at solving. The connection issue on the computer first rather than the HDD.

you using laptop?
It can scan for surrounding wifi?
Did you try connecting to the avail wifi?
Did your browser accept cookies?
Any firewall ?
What hard disk is that? External Portable USB hdd?
IsoLate the problem by trying to connect your laptop to Internet

The last file is not required as that is the installation file for the samsung kies application. Not sure about the other 2 though.

Thanks. I have copy the three files and put them in my c drive (the laptop internal HDD), still cannot access any website without my external HDD :(

.msi files are just installation files. Maybe your drivers and/or software required to complete the internet connection are in the hard disk and not on your laptop. When you plug in the hard disk, your system can "find" them and connect.

Yeah. Thats what I think too... But I couldn't seemed to find that driver or software that was required. Really really frustrating.

But the computer should be able to use Internet if there is connection. I think you should look at solving. The connection issue on the computer first rather than the HDD.

Thanks.

you using laptop? Yes, I am using a laptop.
It can scan for surrounding wifi? It can scan and detect surrounding networks, connections to my router was no problem at all.
Did you try connecting to the avail wifi? Yes, I can connect to my router wirelessly.
Did your browser accept cookies? Yes, my browser accept cookies.
Any firewall ? Yes, there is firewall... actually I tot it was the firewall problem too, but when I turn off the firewall, nothing happen too.

At present moment, connection to the internet was no problem, but I couldn't log on to any webpage or website at all... they keep telling me that the page was unavailable... I try google, yahoo, clubsnap and all pages I know of, nothing works. But once I plug my external HDD into the system, voila, I can surf the net again. A really frustrating thing... because my that external HDD is running out of space, and I am afraid that if there is something wrong with the HDD, I will not be able to go online anymore.

I have quite a number of valuable infor in my c and d drive and so I am not prepared to format HDD and reinstall my window...

Any ideas? Because I know if I bring my computer down to the shop, they will confirm ask me to format my harddisk :(
What hard disk is that? External Portable USB hdd?
IsoLate the problem by trying to connect your laptop to Internet

At present moment, connection to the internet was no problem, but I couldn't log on to any webpage or website at all... they keep telling me that the page was unavailable... I try google, yahoo, clubsnap and all pages I know of, nothing works. But once I plug my external HDD into the system, voila, I can surf the net again. A really frustrating thing... because my that external HDD is running out of space, and I am afraid that if there is something wrong with the HDD, I will not be able to go online anymore.

From above paragraph, what do you EXACTLY mean by "connection to internet was no problem, but I couldn't log on to any webpage or website at all"? So webpage can be loaded but only have problem with those that require login? Or all webpages can't be loaded?

Can goto RUN and execute this cmd /k ipconfig /all and post details here?

From above paragraph, what do you EXACTLY mean by "connection to internet was no problem, but I couldn't log on to any webpage or website at all"? So webpage can be loaded but only have problem with those that require login? Or all webpages can't be loaded?

Can goto RUN and execute this cmd /k ipconfig /all and post details here?

Thanks a lot.

When I mean connection to internet, I mean that the system was connected. There are no issue with the connection, however I just cannot browse any webpage at all (see pic 1),

Pic 1
397565_10151320777803796_1233402601_n.jpg

When I first receive this issue, I immediately do the Diagnose Connection Problems, but the system prompt that there is no problem.

Anyway, I performed the cmd /k ipconfig /all and the following is the screenshot I done,

487267_10151320777823796_635170736_n.jpg

184770_10151320777843796_1815327395_n.jpg

530645_10151320777998796_228175752_n.jpg

I don't understand anything that was written there though. Hope that you could help? Thanks a million.

From your images, you are connected to your router thru your LAN port and obtained an IPv4 address. Test following to see if it's a DNS issue. On your browser, enter http://203.116.221.170/ and see if you can go to StarHub homepage?

If possible, also provide ipconfig /all info with your HD connected which you mentioned the internet worked for comparison.

Last edited:
One way is to power off your modem and router. Wait alwhile then power on the modem and few secs later follow
by the router and see if it works. Have encountered such issues before. Nothing to do with your laptop. Or your may want
to see if the icon on your laptop for internet connection "i" is on or off.If its in red then perhaps you have accidentally turned
off the connection.Hope this helps

If the HDD you are using is configured for your office network, it will most probably be through a proxy server.

Try resetting your LAN or Proxy options to "auto detect" under settings?

Last edited:
Download the latest version of Ubuntu.

Problem solved. No windows - no problem!

From your images, you are connected to your router thru your LAN port and obtained an IPv4 address. Test following to see if it's a DNS issue. On your browser, enter http://203.116.221.170/ and see if you can go to StarHub homepage?

If possible, also provide ipconfig /all info with your HD connected which you mentioned the internet worked for comparison.

Thanks again. I tried keying in 203.116.221.170 without my HDD plugged in, and the same message as 'pic 1' shows out... as usual cannot go to any webpages at all. Then I plug in the HDD and try ipconfig all, the only difference is the IPv6 which now read: "2001:0:9d38:6ab8:2891:2069:252b:6fc3" instead of the old one. Wonder if that is the problem.

One way is to power off your modem and router. Wait alwhile then power on the modem and few secs later follow
by the router and see if it works. Have encountered such issues before. Nothing to do with your laptop. Or your may want
to see if the icon on your laptop for internet connection "i" is on or off.If its in red then perhaps you have accidentally turned
off the connection.Hope this helps

Thanks. But I have tried that a couple of times liao. Don't work for me :(

If the HDD you are using is configured for your office network, it will most probably be through a proxy server.

Try resetting your LAN or Proxy options to "auto detect" under settings?

Thanks.

My setting is at auto detect actually. I am beginning to wonder should I key in manually now.

Without the external hard disk connected.

Do you try bring your laptop to other home or office? Is the result the same?
Did you another / new laptop to use in similar environment ? Can that laptop surf?

Have you try to use LAN network cable to connect your laptop to the router or network port?
This is to isolate problem for driver, connection , setting for wifi . Straight forward coonection to Internet.

Have you do any setting for the subnet mask of etc before ? 255.255.0.0 etc

Device driver ? Device manager ?

Without external HDD , is the driver for the Ethernet cards working properly?
With external HDD , is the driver for the Ethernet cards working?

Without the external hard disk connected.

Do you try bring your laptop to other home or office? Is the result the same?
Did you another / new laptop to use in similar environment ? Can that laptop surf?

Have you try to use LAN network cable to connect your laptop to the router or network port?
This is to isolate problem for driver, connection , setting for wifi . Straight forward coonection to Internet.

Have you do any setting for the subnet mask of etc before ? 255.255.0.0 etc

Device driver ? Device manager ?

Without external HDD , is the driver for the Ethernet cards working properly?
With external HDD , is the driver for the Ethernet cards working?

Hmm... the last time I brought my computer on an overseas assignment was somewhere in September or October, and it was working fine because I left my HDD at home and can still access internet. However at that time, I don't recall my laptop having this strange issue.

Now that you have reminded me, I think I will bring my laptop to my office and link it up to the network there to see I still receive the same issues.

Thanks a lot :)

1st test:

to isolate problem and easiest is to do this:

use a LAN patch cable connect to router to check if it has an internet connection.

be-aware that your computer will show that it is connected to the wifi even if it cannot connect to the internet.

2nd simple test:

check work offline mode for the browser is de-select.

3rd simple test again:
ping 127.0.0.1 for loop back test

if succesful then should see 'sent = 4 receive = 4 lost = 0'
127.0.0.1 – What Are its Uses and Why is it Important?

4th (i haven't try before... but saw it when i google):
at command prompt

ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

reboot your router and pc.

Last edited:
Best to get some one to your house n fixes it. Btw, did you turn off the network adapter? Can your laptop detect the WiFi from your router?

1st test:

to isolate problem and easiest is to do this:

use a LAN patch cable connect to router to check if it has an internet connection.

be-aware that your computer will show that it is connected to the wifi even if it cannot connect to the internet.

2nd simple test:

check work offline mode for the browser is de-select.

3rd simple test again:
ping 127.0.0.1 for loop back test

if succesful then should see 'sent = 4 receive = 4 lost = 0'
127.0.0.1 – What Are its Uses and Why is it Important?

4th (i haven't try before... but saw it when i google):
at command prompt

ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

reboot your router and pc.

Hmm.. Thanks a million. I will tried those step. The last step I tried before, no use. But the first 3 steps might show me some light. Thanks again :)

Best to get some one to your house n fixes it. Btw, did you turn off the network adapter? Can your laptop detect the WiFi from your router?

My computer can detect network connection from the router both wired and wirelessly and can also detect other available WiFi signal from my neighbours. It is a strange problem. I will try out the steps that dreaming had suggested. And hope to detect what seemed to be causing the problem.

May be you want to take a look at IE(eg version 9) -->Internet Option -->Browsing History -->Settings and see where the Current Location is.