need help with installing Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoXXer

Oct 14, 2002
East SG
hi folks,

i'm planning to upgrade from Win ME to Win XP pro. but firstly i got some issues to work out...

1. i got 2 harddisks (3 partitions altogether) and all are FAT32. once i install Win XP in NTFS how would i be able to transfer my data from a FAT32 hdd to a NTFS hdd??

2. if i install win xp as a 2nd OS, how to remove my old OS (the win ME) ??

i'm trying to avoid burning all my data cos that would be too many cd-r to use...

thanks a lot!!! :)

Originally posted by BoXXer
hi folks,

i'm planning to upgrade from Win ME to Win XP pro. but firstly i got some issues to work out...

1. i got 2 harddisks (3 partitions altogether) and all are FAT32. once i install Win XP in NTFS how would i be able to transfer my data from a FAT32 hdd to a NTFS hdd??

2. if i install win xp as a 2nd OS, how to remove my old OS (the win ME) ??

i'm trying to avoid burning all my data cos that would be too many cd-r to use...

thanks a lot!!! :)

1: winxp can see fat32. No issue here.

2: are u going to upgrade your ME or keep your ME? from your statement "if i install win xp as a 2nd OS" , it means you want dual boot. If you don't want dual boot, just overwrite the partition that contains winme when you install xp.

Originally posted by ninelives
1: winxp can see fat32. No issue here.

2: are u going to upgrade your ME or keep your ME? from your statement "if i install win xp as a 2nd OS" , it means you want dual boot. If you don't want dual boot, just overwrite the partition that contains winme when you install xp.

ok now i got a little problem...

installed xp as my 2nd os on a different partition. i then removed that harddisk so its no more connected. then i installed xp on the main partition where the ME used to be.

now whenever i boot up i see windows prompting me to select 2 OS. and both are win XP.

how do i remove the second "OS" which isn't there??

thanks!

Originally posted by BoXXer

how do i remove the second "OS" which isn't there??

thanks!

edit your boot.ini in C:\ . it is hidden and read only mode. which one is the correct one? 1st ? then delete the 2nd line.

it worked!! thanks a lot ninelives! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.