Need help with HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydenhuang

Apr 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
hi guys im starting to learn HDR imaging i have photomatix and photoshop cs2 i took a raw image (d60nikon do not have AEB) and was wondering can i use photoshop to edit my raw photo exposure level to -2, 0 and +2 i know it has something to do with leveling but there is no -2,0 or +2 option in leveling its more of a histogram bell shape curve need ur help=((

When you open the raw file in Photoshop, through Adobe Camera Raw, there's an Exposure slider. Move that to -2 and +2.

you just go to File --> open in photomatix

and it will presto out the hdr for you

why go so ley chey method? you only do that when the wb used when shooting the raw file is off, then do it manually

you just go to File --> open in photomatix

and it will presto out the hdr for you

why go so ley chey method? you only do that when the wb used when shooting the raw file is off, then do it manually

Cos TS only shot one RAW file and is hoping to output that into three JPGs of different exposures.

hi guys im starting to learn HDR imaging i have photomatix and photoshop cs2 i took a raw image (d60nikon do not have AEB) and was wondering can i use photoshop to edit my raw photo exposure level to -2, 0 and +2 i know it has something to do with leveling but there is no -2,0 or +2 option in leveling its more of a histogram bell shape curve need ur help=((

TS it's nothing to do with Levels. If you open the RAW file under Adobe Camera RAW (ACR), then there should be a slider labelled Exposure. If you do not even get this dialogue window, it means you haven't downloaded the ACR plug-in, and you should do so.

Cos TS only shot one RAW file and is hoping to output that into three JPGs of different exposures.

ya, for hdr purposes right?

but photomatix will do that for you!

that's why i love photomatix :)

It will? OMG time to shoot RAW again. :bsmilie:

yep, it will. even so, the amount of noise from a single raw is going to be slightly more, especially for shadow areas. and definitely the dynamic range you get, while increased from a normal jpg will not go as far as a properly bracketed hdr merged together.

on the bright side, it definitely removes all possibility of ghosting due to movement from frame to frame - that's what i use it for, along with the times when say, you're on travel, and it isn't quite practical to bring a tripod around because you're backpacking.

and of course, i'd wager that if you use a gnd and hdr from a single raw there you might even attain a pretty good shot comparable to no gnd and jpg.

ya, for hdr purposes right?

but photomatix will do that for you!

that's why i love photomatix :)

is the software available in CP? the free download seems ok, but says will have create a watermark when HDR is done? :dunno:

ya i read from a forum saying doin 3 exposure for photomatix produces a better effect . i got my full version photomatix pro on torrent. So i use nikon bundle viewnx to change my exposure now

so im wondering i do not have aeb which is better using viewnx to change exposure for my raw file then merge the 3 together or use the single raw file conversion and wat is TS?

ya i read from a forum saying doin 3 exposure for photomatix produces a better effect . i got my full version photomatix pro on torrent. So i use nikon bundle viewnx to change my exposure now

Hmm...software piracy?

so im wondering i do not have aeb which is better using viewnx to change exposure for my raw file then merge the 3 together or use the single raw file conversion and wat is TS?

night86mare has already said. Having three bracketed exposures will give you less noise and more dynamic range, at the risk of having some ghosting. That said, if you don't have a tripod, then single RAW file is the easiest way to go.

TS is thread starter.

I had tried with the single RAW approach, and it works very well. As mentioned, the noise is an issue to content with, but that's addressable quite easily. What I did is output 9 tiff files by doing a -2, -1.5, -1, -0.5, 0, +0.5, +1.0, +1.5, +2. And since I shot the scene at a pretty low ISO (ISO400) on Canon 20D, the noise is not a major issues. The beauty of this is you can do this on any of your RAW image.

there is a misunderstanding there my d60 dosent have AEB so i cant take multiple shots in the first place im usign one RAW file to produce teh hdr but in photomatix there is 2 function for those without aeb. 1st is wat chopper did the other is instant auto generate with my raw without any exposure copy adjustment

there is a misunderstanding there my d60 dosent have AEB so i cant take multiple shots in the first place im usign one RAW file to produce teh hdr but in photomatix there is 2 function for those without aeb. 1st is wat chopper did the other is instant auto generate with my raw without any exposure copy adjustment

Your D60 doesn't have AEB, but you can put to Manual and adjust your shutter speed for three different exposures right? Expand your usage! Don't just be limited just 'cause you don't have Auto Exposure Bracketing.

eh?

i always shoot manually..aeb for what..:think: you put your cam on a tripod so it won't move, keep iso ,wb and aperture fixed.. in fact sometimes i leave wb in auto to get more colours :bsmilie: ..then click away, increasing the exposure each time. i usually shoot +3, +2, +1, 0 , -1, -2, -3 for the scenes i shoot (sunsets) because that dynamic range is needed

anything that needs wider than +3 to -3 usually turns out weird, from experience, so i don't bother.

i know but what im trying to ask is not about aeb or manual 3 shots im asking if using one raw image with the 3 exposure adjustments generate function is it better than the instant raw generate function in photomatix and that is there any difference? cos in photomatix u can use 3 copies of the same raw image -2,0+2 to generate or u can use 1 raw image and auto generate.

i know but what im trying to ask is not about aeb or manual 3 shots im asking if using one raw image with the 3 exposure adjustments generate function is it better than the instant raw generate function in photomatix and that is there any difference? cos in photomatix u can use 3 copies of the same raw image -2,0+2 to generate or u can use 1 raw image and auto generate.

3 copies of the same raw image?

i think the auto generate works fine, i use it all the time.

why bother outputting 3 files which you have to resave, when you have an auto function? whatever it is you won't "squeeze" any more data out of the raw file than it has.

sorry maybe a little bit off topic
how come i can't open my 450D raw file in my CS 3 ??
is there any plug in or something ?
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.