Need help with furniture shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkey

Apr 25, 2007
Hi all. Am interested in taking pictures of furniture for a concept shop (think ikea style furniture, semi modern and chic) without blowing the budget.

As I feel planning is of utmost importance, let me run through with you my strategy. I will be using a 35mm (canon 40d) preferably with a tripod, what will an ideal lens be? Wide angle? 35mm f/2? Shots will most probably be used for magazine ads or publishings. Unlikely that theres any studio lightings as this is quite last minute. I have a 430ex with me and will probably put that flash to it's max capabilities.

Also, what angles will work and any references would be greatly appreciated. I have had professional background with food photography but never furniture (!?) Heh. All those lao jiaos out there.. need your help.

Suggestions and help are WELCOMED!!

Hi all. Am interested in taking pictures of furniture for a concept shop (think ikea style furniture, semi modern and chic) without blowing the budget.

As I feel planning is of utmost importance, let me run through with you my strategy. I will be using a 35mm (canon 40d) preferably with a tripod, what will an ideal lens be? Wide angle? 35mm f/2? Shots will most probably be used for magazine ads or publishings. Unlikely that theres any studio lightings as this is quite last minute. I have a 430ex with me and will probably put that flash to it's max capabilities.

Also, what angles will work and any references would be greatly appreciated. I have had professional background with food photography but never furniture (!?) Heh. All those lao jiaos out there.. need your help.

Canon 40D is not a 35mm because 35mm refers to film. Yes, you will need a wide angle but 35/2 is not exactly that wide considering the crop factor of the 40D. It aslo depends on whether you are just shooting an individual piece of furniture or the entire section of the room. In the case of kitchen cabinets or wardrobes, it's almost the entire wall, so you've got to make sure there's enough space if your lens is not wide enough.

I get by with a 28mm equivalent field of view on 135 format. So that's about 18mm on a cropped sensor, but a wider anngle may sometimes be necessary. I'm not entirely familiar with the Canon system but think a 10-22mm zoom is available from their lineup and it should come in quite handy.

using wide angle introduce distortion. unless thats what u want... i'd rather suggest a bigger place...

and i seriously do suggest renting a big studio or purchase big backdrop with portable mounts with it... else will be just another normal shoot. and using ambient light to take production shoot... another no no...

from what i see, my suggestion, either MF with digital back on a 80mm or 45mm, or a 5D or 1Ds with a 35mm or 50mm. and that 430ex, can just keep it at home, 1 flash will make the item look darn flat... no matter u bounce, or watever... and the flash head won't be able to create soft lighting over large area.

(actually also dunno your customer's budget or expectations... but to me, either do the best or dun do at all...)

actually the ikea type photos are not so easy to duplicate

IKEA Communications
IKEA Communications is located in the little town of Älmhult in southern Sweden, and is the site of the largest photo studio in Northern Europe. They produce print and electronic marketing materials, including the IKEA catalogue.

need big big space with nice light, as DCA said, WA will introduce distortion
external flash will introduce ugly shadows, can bounce but lighting will not be so even and not so easy to control

You mentioned mag ads and publishing, how big is the image going to be? Would your camera's output be enough for that kind of printing?
Next will be your lens. Shooting with wide angle is not advisable due to distortion. You need at least a 50mm lens.
Lighting, even if you're shooting just a chair, you'll need at least 2 lights. One for main and the other for fill, you'll also need to consider if you need add lights for the background as well.

Hope this helps

actually the ikea type photos are not so easy to duplicate

IKEA Communications
IKEA Communications is located in the little town of Älmhult in southern Sweden, and is the site of the largest photo studio in Northern Europe. They produce print and electronic marketing materials, including the IKEA catalogue.

need big big space with nice light, as DCA said, WA will introduce distortion
external flash will introduce ugly shadows, can bounce but lighting will not be so even and not so easy to control

For IKEA's shoot, shooting a chair alone with a white b/g will require 4 lights. 2 on b/g and 1 top light with another as side light.

You mentioned mag ads and publishing, how big is the image going to be? Would your camera's output be enough for that kind of printing?
Next will be your lens. Shooting with wide angle is not advisable due to distortion. You need at least a 50mm lens.
Lighting, even if you're shooting just a chair, you'll need at least 2 lights. One for main and the other for fill, you'll also need to consider if you need add lights for the background as well.

Hope this helps

sifu also say liao... :thumbsup:

think with 1.6x crop 50mm can run darn far away...

sifu also say liao... :thumbsup:

think with 1.6x crop 50mm can run darn far away...

Not sifu lar, just trying to help if I can mah :sweat:.

Anyway, if shooting just a high stool with 50mm, I guess about 12 to 15 feet from product to cam. including product to b/g ( assuming shooting white b/g ) another 5 feet. total around 20 feet front to back :think: OK lar, not far lar.

Not sifu lar, just trying to help if I can mah :sweat:.

Anyway, if shooting just a high stool with 50mm, I guess about 12 to 15 feet from product to cam. including product to b/g ( assuming shooting white b/g ) another 5 feet. total around 20 feet front to back :think: OK lar, not far lar.

sekali he take cupboard how?

i think i can rent 1 of my empty warehousing unit for him to do shooting...

then rent him some lights... backdrop...

shooting from 1 end to the other... :bsmilie:

sekali he take cupboard how?

i think i can rent 1 of my empty warehousing unit for him to do shooting...

then rent him some lights... backdrop...

shooting from 1 end to the other... :bsmilie:

:think: How much is your rental? and can drive car in or not?

Maybe can shoot as a concept ad with wide angle prospective and shadows. Can be an interesting shot :)

Was thinking to leave the 10-22 at home as I dont think it has fantastic quality for mags and other pubs. Hrm. Last i had was studio lightings, makes everything so much easier when shooting indoors really.

Ok MF cameras with digital backs are totally out of the qn due to the sheer csot of the backs. Which is why i dont think he should expect much from this shoot.

Ikea's furniture really looks great. damn man big room + telephoto + plenty lightings. hrmmm

Was thinking to leave the 10-22 at home as I dont think it has fantastic quality for mags and other pubs. Hrm. Last i had was studio lightings, makes everything so much easier when shooting indoors really.

Ok MF cameras with digital backs are totally out of the qn due to the sheer csot of the backs. Which is why i dont think he should expect much from this shoot.

Ikea's furniture really looks great. damn man big room + telephoto + plenty lightings. hrmmm

and its not just your normal lightings, each of those can cost a bomb... cos they need a wider coverage and power, with a big soft box so that you won't see any pinpoint catchlights on the product.

As I feel planning is of utmost importance, let me run through with you my strategy. I will be using a 35mm (canon 40d) ....
Oh? Canon 40D already launched in Singapore? Mind share how much you bought this camera?

Thanks.

Munkey,

Your situation now matches an attempt to open a tight can with a toothpick:nono:

'....I dont think he should expect much from this shoot.' Statement like this leads to complication later on...People like these will eventually pop up with words like:- 1) "The picture U take, I can also do it on my own !" 2) " Ok but I think I'll pay U half of what was negotiated cos I think the shoot can be better, I may not use the picture U know...' 3) " I am not paying!"

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.