Need help with fully manual SLR.

amanmazleigh

Jun 28, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am a DSLR owner and had about 1 year of digital photography experience. I had good experiences with photography so far and thus enjoying it. But now, I wish to step into another aspect of photography which is film photography.

With film photography, I hope to be able to really think before shooting and be able to appreciate the old days of photography.

So right now, I need help looking for fully manual SLRs. The ones that will be enough for my above stated goals and also will not burn my pocket much. Can anyone recommend me a fully manual film SLR under 200 dollars? My DSLR is a Canon system. Does that mean I should stick to Canon for film? And also what do I need to start on film photography?

Thanks in advanced!
Regards,
Aman

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :)
You can check out the buy & sell section & scroll through the various brands that fits your budget. Alternatively, hop downtown to Penisular shopping centre & there are some shops selling used cameras.

Hello everyone,

I am a DSLR owner and had about 1 year of digital photography experience. I had good experiences with photography so far and thus enjoying it. But now, I wish to step into another aspect of photography which is film photography.

With film photography, I hope to be able to really think before shooting and be able to appreciate the old days of photography.

So right now, I need help looking for fully manual SLRs. The ones that will be enough for my above stated goals and also will not burn my pocket much. Can anyone recommend me a fully manual film SLR under 200 dollars? My DSLR is a Canon system. Does that mean I should stick to Canon for film? And also what do I need to start on film photography?

Thanks in advanced!
Regards,
Aman

which lens do you own from canon...
if all is ef-s lens...
then u r free to chose another system...
cos ef-s lens cant be use on film camera from canon...
cannot mount... even if u mod to mount...
u wont get enough coverage...

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advanced!
Regards,
Aman
if this is is your only reason for going film, you can still "think the shot" before actually shooting, right? it's just that dslr's are more practical and convenient to view the finished product (i.e. your picture)

that aside, i don't know much about the canon slr system, or if you can even mount your newer lenses (please correct me if i'm wrong here. as i said, i don't know much about the older canon film slrs). :sweat:

if this is is your only reason for going film, you can still "think the shot" before actually shooting, right? it's just that dslr's are more practical and convenient to view the finished product (i.e. your picture)

that aside, i don't know much about the canon slr system, or if you can even mount your newer lenses (please correct me if i'm wrong here. as i said, i don't know much about the older canon film slrs). :sweat:

More like if I were to use DSLR to shoot, I'll tend to not think as much as when I used film. Get what I mean? Haha!

And also, EF lenses can be mounted on EOS film SLRs. But EOS film SLRs are not fully manual. So if I were to use fully manual Canon system, I need to get separate lens, which I'm not wrong are FD lenses.

which lens do you own from canon...
if all is ef-s lens...
then u r free to chose another system...
cos ef-s lens cant be use on film camera from canon...
cannot mount... even if u mod to mount...
u wont get enough coverage...

yes I only own EF-s lens. Do you know of any film SLRs that are good enough?

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP! keep it coming! you guys are so helpful!

Agree with pasay that you can still choose to think properly before every shot in digital. Having said that, I still love shooting with film. I can't explain it. =)

Anyways, do you mean fully manual or fully mechanical? There's a difference. Mechanical cameras do not require batteries to operate. Models like Nikon's FM, FM2, FM2n, FM3a, FT, FTn, FT2, FT3 etc, they're all mechanical. The batteries in them are used to power the built-in light meter only. I don't think there are any mechanical Canon cameras that are compatible with any lenses you have, EF or EF-S. I believe Canon's mechanical cameras are all FD mounts.

If you mean manual, then all SLRs can go fully manual. If you have EF lenses, then you can look at the EOS range of Canon SLRs to share lenses with. Of course, you can always delve into another system and adapt the new system's lenses to your Canon dSLR, so that you can still share lenses between film and digital.

Care to share the lenses you own?

And also, EF lenses can be mounted on EOS film SLRs. But EOS film SLRs are not fully manual. So if I were to use fully manual Canon system, I need to get separate lens, which I'm not wrong are FD lenses.
All Canon EOS cameras (incl. SLR) have the Manual mode. What stops you from using it? For FD lenses you will also need the pre-EOS SLR cameras, like Canon AE-1. Saw one now and then in B&S.

MY BAD! I meant fully mechanical. haha! Man I always confuse between this two. And I only own an EF-s 17-55 3.5-5.6. hahaha

u may want to consider if u want to try using manual focus lens on EOS bodies :

if get canon full manual slr, than u need FD mount lens, which u will have difficulty finding FD - EOS adapter, adapter needs to have a lens element to focus at infinity when using on EOS bodies. this adapter is $$$ and difficult to find.

getting brand like nikon, pentax, oly etc, you can use the lens on EOS bodies with adapter (with af confirmation chip) thats easily available.

IF you can still get your hands on a 125mb or 258mb or 512mb memory card...... and leave your 16G card at home ........and shoot in RAW ....... u will be back in the world of 36 frames very quickly even with a DSLR

and tape over your LCD screen if you have the guts..........

otherwise a plasticky EOS 50 or the perrinal workhorse the Nikon FM2n will do fine

Last edited:
IF you can still get your hands on a 125mb or 258mb or 512mb memory card...... and leave your 16G card at home ........and shoot in RAW ....... u will be back in the world of 36 frames very quickly even with a DSLR

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

You're better off keeping your options open instead of sticking with Canon.

Might just land yourself with a cheap system through BNS.

:thumbsup:

don't forget to take out the "delete" button on your cam so you can't cheat by freeing up space in your 128mb. :bsmilie:

You're better off keeping your options open instead of sticking with Canon.

Might just land yourself with a cheap system through BNS.

The force from the dark side is strong...

Full mechanical film SLR. Sounds like a nikon to me.

TS, but the good thing is, once you get those old AiS or Ai lenses, you can use them on your Canon DSLR, with an adapter. Those old lenses are amazing.

For a good fully mechanical SLR... Nikon F2as ftw!

4816785054_b53e89d6f0.jpg

And no.... it is not for sale. It's been in our family for 30+ years.

Last edited:
are they within my budget? hahahaha. and I can't help but laugh at some of the posts. they're funny!

are they within my budget? hahahaha. and I can't help but laugh at some of the posts. they're funny!

Sadly no. Especially it seems you need to get lenses to go with the manual camera body.

You probably need to save more.

But warning, those old lenses are very addictive. I already have 3 sitting in my dry cab. I started with 1. And this is not including the family dry cab, where more old lenses and the f2as rests. On top of other cameras too... ;)