Need help with filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

spree86

Feb 3, 2009
Bishan
www.flickr.com
Hi i read online that for protective filters one can use either a UV filter or a Skylight filter. I have no idea which one is better and what are they like. Can anyone advise me on this?

thanx!

Hmm so they both filter out UV, but for outdoor shoots which one will give a better effect?

neither.

if you had bothered to click on the link and read up more than just 2 links or 3.. you'd have found out that uv filters are not required for lenses and dslrs of today.

most people add them on because they do not change much in the picture, being relatively neutral (with a decent enough brand).. and use them as a protector for front element.

A bit of careful use, actually u dun really need protective filters. I think a number of us just shoot with our front element naked :) Unless u need filters of other sorts for some other photographic purposes

happy reading and shooting

ryan

UV filters are usually used as protection for the front glass element of your lens. Think of it as a "spare" lens cap thats always on, and you can take photos through it.

That sounds like a pretty good deal doesn't it? Protection against scratches, finger prints, jumping frogs, and kids poking your lens.

Generally the image degradation is negliable, but macro users will see the difference. Otherwise, i'd say get a decent UV filter, keep it on. i don't make 2m by 3m prints of my phtos so i don't really get nackered about the small IQ loss. (so very very very small)

UV filter might actually benefit if you are one of those who likes to climb mountains and take high-altitude pics from there.

UV filter might actually benefit if you are one of those who likes to climb mountains and take high-altitude pics from there.

Not really. Almost all modern lenses are already uv-resistant.

Not really. Almost all modern lenses are already uv-resistant.

Well, I still see this recommendation in other places. Hmm... anyway, this leads to the question: are skylight or clear filters cheaper? If so, does that mean all those who bought UV filters have been fooled when they could have bought cheaper alternatives just for protection sake?
:think:

Well, I still see this recommendation in other places. Hmm... anyway, this leads to the question: are skylight or clear filters cheaper? If so, does that mean all those who bought UV filters have been fooled when they could have bought cheaper alternatives just for protection sake?

UV filters don't cost much anyway. And the high-quality ones have anti-glare coatings.

Skylight is useless in digital era, a change in White Balance does the same.
Yes, from perspective of "feature for money" a pure clear filter does the same protective job, provided it also comes with the same coating as the UV. But for the same (or less) money you can also get a branded / original lens hood. Best protection when combined with alertness and care.

Skylight is useless in digital era, a change in White Balance does the same.
Yes, from perspective of "feature for money" a pure clear filter does the same protective job, provided it also comes with the same coating as the UV. But for the same (or less) money you can also get a branded / original lens hood. Best protection when combined with alertness and care.

Yup. Best of course is when almost all your lenses come with the hood for free. :)

Hi i read online that for protective filters one can use either a UV filter or a Skylight filter. I have no idea which one is better and what are they like. Can anyone advise me on this?

thanx!

Reading through the thread, no body seems to be answering your question head on - what are the differences between the two filters?

If you place the two filters side by side on a white backgropund, Skylight filter appears just a little more pinkish / warmer than the UV filter. There are actually 2 types of Skylight filters - 1A and 1B. 1A is more "clear" (like UV) and 1B is more pinkish. I recalled being taught a long time ago by an old master during the film era that UV is better for landscape scene as it reduces haze in the atmosphere. Skylight is preferred if you shoot portraits. Your wife or girlfriends will be very happy as they will have better complexion in the photos. This is especially so in an overcast day or under heavy shadow as the skin tone tends to look more blue.

Some express the viewpoint that modern lens do not require UV filter as they are already "UV-resistance." Well, I beg to differ. I think engineers at Hoya, B+W will beg to differ too. If you shoot macro, UV filter probably won't make much difference. Try shooting a landscape scene in a hazy day with and without a UV filter and you will see its effect. Of course, C-PL filter will be even better...

Bear in mind that the differences we are talking about here are minute; not readily apparent unless you are comparing the photos side by side. This is why you have read elsewhere that it is ok to use either UV or Skylight as protection filter.

Do you need the protection of a filter (UV or Skylight) in front of the lens? This is the wrong question. The correct question should be - Do you want the protection?

Hope it helps.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.