Need help with Dry Box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterL

Deregistered
Nov 30, 2009
Hi all.

I just bought a 2.6litre air tight container and 500gms of silica gel.

I need to know how much silica gel do i need to put inside the air tight container for the right amount of humidity for my camera and lens.

Please help! Thanks! :)

Hi all.

I just bought a 2.6litre air tight container and 500gms of silica gel.

I need to know how much silica gel do i need to put inside the air tight container for the right amount of humidity for my camera and lens.

Please help! Thanks! :)

Just filled it up, the first few days the humidity will be around 20-30 ... if you open and close very often... it will go up to 50-60 within few weeks. Anything above 60 must change sillica again.

Get a hygrometer from DIY shops. Search here for 'dry box' or 'hygrometer' to get additional information.

I saw some really nice looking analog hygrometers at the uber huge stationary shop at Funan. cheapest is around $26, which is the same price as a digital hygrometer at a DIY shop. But if you're a fan of aesthetics, you'll definitely choose the analog one over the digital one.

Okay thanks. But for now whats the rough gauge for the amount of silica gel to put into the container? Anybody have any experiences?

Just pour the whole bottle inside. And remember (my final reminder) don't let the equipment touch the silica. Final reminder too, keep paper outside unless you want to end up with a potato chip receipt.

If it is air tight, it will reach RH of 0% is 3-4 days.

Last edited:
Just pour the whole bottle inside. And remember (my final reminder) don't let the equipment touch the silica. Final reminder too, keep paper outside unless you want to end up with a potato chip receipt.

If it is air tight, it will reach RH of 0% is 3-4 days.

So i put the silica gel inside a plastic bag or smaller container and my equipments inside?
Is RH 0% abit extreme and cause my rubber to crack?

So i put the silica gel inside a plastic bag or smaller container and my equipments inside?

Yes, please use a plastic bag, best with ziploc system. Any small airtight container will do as well. Will prevent the silica gel from getting wet. :lovegrin:
Not sure what will happen at 0% RH, I never dared to try. Your manual will give the right answer. How to achieve that? Trial and error, combined with some watching. There is no recipe "take one spoonful of silica gel for 100ml of volume at x%RH to achieve y%".

i thoguht digital hygrometer are more accurate than analog ones???

Nope. You just pour the silica in, place camera styrofoam wrap or bubble wrap on top and then your equipment. Don't need to cover all, just something to separate the contact, so that the silica still can dry the air inside.

Rubber, likely will but not so soon. If it does, it due to wear and tear. Get the 3m dashboard wax and chamois an apply on the rubber (patience application). Then buffer and dry. Prevents slimy sticky or crack rubber in the long future (drycab or box does not matter).

i thoguht digital hygrometer are more accurate than analog ones???

It's just a different way of displaying the measurement result. If the sensor unit is inaccurate then all the decimal digits are useless. Whether the resolution of a digital hygrometer is necessary depends on the application. For cameras it's not necessary, any analogue display is sufficient.

r u serious? can reach 0% RH meh?

Thanks alot guys !

Why havent i think of the ingenious idea of pouring the silica gel at the base of the container then separate it with a styrofoam layer! omg.

Thanks once again for helping a noob like me! :)

Go and get the more precision hygro and you will be able to measure below 10%.

Silica gel is used to make dry flowers you know.

r u serious? can reach 0% RH meh?

Thanks alot guys !

Why havent i think of the ingenious idea of pouring the silica gel at the base of the container then separate it with a styrofoam layer! omg.

Thanks once again for helping a noob like me! :)

haa, okay I obtained a pair of used stockings from my friend. the sheer type of stockings, not the woolen leggings you see these days. Just fill it up with silicon and tie a knot on top. Works great.

Styrofoam might take up a bit of your height space.

Go and get the more precision hygro and you will be able to measure below 10%.

Silica gel is used to make dry flowers you know.

haa, well I'm still uncomfortable at making it SO dry. If the recommended humidity is 50%, I don't really think it's necessary to go until 20%. You never know the damage it might do.

Not referring to the thick styrofoam box but the foam wrapper. All cams will have either the plastic bag or foam or bubble wrapper. Any of these to separate will do fine. Or you have unused soft pouch.

Whether <10% RH will damage a camera. I will let you folks know the result in year 2019. Remind me ah.

Not referring to the thick styrofoam box but the foam wrapper. All cams will have either the plastic bag or foam or bubble wrapper. Any of these to separate will do fine. Or you have unused soft pouch.

Whether <10% RH will damage a camera. I will let you folks know the result in year 2019. Remind me ah.

lolx. i think if you can get the humidity level to <10% the damage will be quite fast and apparent la. Unless you're putting your camera in a time capsule and can't open until 10 years later.

lolx. i think if you can get the humidity level to <10% the damage will be quite fast and apparent la. Unless you're putting your camera in a time capsule and can't open until 10 years later.

And what damage do you suspect / expect?

OK, to satisfy your curiosity and &#27515;&#24515;. I will use my fujifilm E550 + 250gm silica + glad lock. You tell me how long it must be kept then consider pass. :D

And as what Octarine asked, what damage are you expecting? :sweat:

Oh, if you ask why E550. Well that's bec it uses AA, so in case 10 years, then I won't have to worry about battery spoil. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.