Need help with concert photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurrealDream

Mar 24, 2009
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
Im new here and just co-own a canon 450D. I will be helping a friend to shoot an indoor concert(idol kind). I will be bringing a 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM and Sunpak flash along.
What settings should I use? I believe I will be moving around as its a free standing concert.

Thank you~:lovegrin:

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
Im new here and just co-own a canon 450D. I will be helping a friend to shoot an indoor concert(idol kind). I will be bringing a 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM and Sunpak flash along.
What settings should I use? I believe I will be moving around as its a free standing concert.

Thank you~:lovegrin:

I think professional cameras are not allow if you are in the indoor stadium, unless you have some sort of a media pass for sponsor photographer.

Firstly you might want to check if photography is allowed.

even you can bring in, i think the no flash rule applies...

flash is most of the time not allowed... check for regulations first.... try to shoot at the highest iso you feel comfortable.... personally i would not go below iso1600 and a shutter speed of 1/125... your aperture is on the low side so you need to compensate with more light and shoot wide open.

try not to use flash be it allow or not, from my own experience.
strangely i usually shoot with a prime lens at wide open..

Thanks for the suggestions~ I will be at overseas where photography rules are not as strict as SG. But I will still split the body and lens to avoid over zealous usher. I was thinking of not using flash photography but I will have to set my iso real high? Im scare of noises too. Im really a noob at this... please be patient with me. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions~ I will be at overseas where photography rules are not as strict as SG. But I will still split the body and lens to avoid over zealous usher. I was thinking of not using flash photography but I will have to set my iso real high? Im scare of noises too. Im really a noob at this... please be patient with me. Thanks!
the trick is to time your shots when the stage lights are most favourable so if possible ask if you can be in when they do a full rehearsal. Make notes of what lights go on at what scenes and adjust your strategies accordingly on actual day. Dont even need to use a flash if your timing is accurate.

Like the rest pointed out, check if photography is allowed in the first place. Otherwise, you might be approached by security or the organiser to stop shooting.

Flash and tripods are generally disallowed. Flash can be very distracting to both the performers and members of the audience. Tripods are considered a safety hazards as other may trip over it in the darkened auditorium.

So, assuming you're allowed to shoot, you are left with HIGH ISO, BIG APERTURE LENSES, FAST ENOUGH SHUTTER SPEEDS TO GET DECENT SHARP PICTURES.

That's it.

Is some dance performances and other similar events where I am allowed to shoot, I sometimes end up sitting on the steps along the aisle with my legs pulled in so I use my knees for support to steady my camera/lens. But do note that I am shooting with 200mm/2.8 and 300mm/2.8 lenses at ISO 1600.

Good luck.

Fred

What cam you using? I find that Nikon seems to have less noise than canon when the ISO goes up.

Any professional here to comment on this?

What cam you using? I find that Nikon seems to have less noise than canon when the ISO goes up.

sensor size and how many megapixels can be squeezed + in-camera noise reduction agressiveness?

check out k20d`s performance..

Your statement is too generic; it is not wise to make sweeping statements. I am not a pro, but that's all I have to say about this.

Free standing concert?
Well, just go really early and "chope" your spot at the front.
The best position is usually a little off the centre of the stage, where you can get a clear shot of the artist without getting blocked by the mic stand.
Camera settings as per advised. From personal experience, grain and noise works to the pictures' advantage.

i think try and practice with your camera first, and be comfortable with the manual controls. know whats the slowest speed you can hand hold and try to shoot at that to get more light. but of course adjust accordingly if the performers are moving about too much. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.