Need help with camera settings for event. thnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icYchill

Dec 7, 2004
Jurong
anyone still rmb me? lol. anyways, i'll be taking photos at arnd 7 at a restaurant tday but im still a newbie so im asking you guys wad kinda settings should i be using for my digicam...should i be using flash too?(such as iso and ev) thanks in advance! ;)
PS: (im really running out of time)

my dad has like this annual dinner thingy and if i help the company take some shots (casio exlim and panasonic lumix) i'll get like 30 bucks. thanks btw! so wad about the settings? btw im only 14 =P

i suggest everything in programme mode safer

icic. thanks...anything else?

copperbird said:
i suggest everything in programme mode safer
I disagree with your point though.... :think:

If the dinner is in a couple of days time, try experimenting with your digicam and any of the shutter and aperture settings along with the flash too... Remember, do this ONLY if you have AMPLE TIME before the dinner. If you have till tonight to do it, then stick to auto mode.

My settings for these types are:
ev -2, fec -(1-1/3), ISO pumped up to 400-1600 (ISO equivalent to 200-400 for digicams). I know you can't do fec with the digicam but its just my settings... hehe... ISO 400 is very noisy though on digicams... Try different settings! :)

Good to see some young photographers here. I'm turned 18 by the way! :cheergal:

30 bucks.. wow... just shoot la, dun worry about settings and stuff, you aren't even paid the proper rate to begin with.

espn said:
30 bucks.. wow... just shoot la, dun worry about settings and stuff, you aren't even paid the proper rate to begin with.
Haizzz... 30 bucks still quite a bit what... At least with $30 can go out with girlfriend for movies and popcorn rite? ;) Haha...

Definately flash for this situation. I guess just set it to night mode and poof, let the cam do the rest.
Was shooting at esplanade yesterday, placed my cam on the floor and railings, no flash, f1.4, f1.8lens while others just held their normal cams with flash while taking photos of panorama at 8!! They thought i was crazy some shook their head some telling me its easier to just hold it. For them at 8pm ''holding' cams taking pics? hmmmm

nickmak said:
Haizzz... 30 bucks still quite a bit what... At least with $30 can go out with girlfriend for movies and popcorn rite? ;) Haha...
I consider that as cheap labour and exploitation IYAM... your pride/equipment/time is definitely worth more than that ain't it? ;)

i think...increase your ISO 200 or 400 (for dgcam, please try out first when you reach there)...then set to Program mode if you're not sure...then when you use flash (built-in), make sure to stand more than a metre from your subject...

for lumix, i think you can turn on that 'anti-shake' thingy, thus sometimes, a flash might not be necessary, but hands must be steady ya...for the casio, i'm not sure.

just learn to compose your shots and not bother abt your setting if setting were to bother you, or give you a headache. above all, $30 is still money, so try to do a good job and make yourself happy with what you shoot.

espn said:
I consider that as cheap labour and exploitation IYAM... your pride/equipment/time is definitely worth more than that ain't it? ;)
I dun really think so though.. This is an event for this 14 year old guy to learn and practice his photography rite? Of course he has to get some shots, but still he can practise...

You can remember I did my teacher's wedding... I declined for the payment, because I told him I want the experience, not the money... yet. :) He still gave me 1000 baht in the end anyway... :bsmilie:

megaweb said:
Digital Camera can take very nice portrait and group shots. Don't believe ?

You can check out my recent A70 wedding shots taken on last Sat evening 11th December (as a guest).

ermm... megaweb. u fall under the category of photogs who, even when given a pinhole camera, can still take excellent shots... :sweat: :bsmilie:

icychill, dun sweat abt the settings. when in doubt of the situation, use the cam's Av (aperature priority) mode. u set the f-stop, and let the camera decide on the shutter speed. as u can see from megaweb's pics, just go ard the tables and take table shots. with ur setup, any stage activities might be a toughie for ur cams. btw, which version of lumix are u using for the nite?

nightwolf75 said:
ermm... megaweb. u fall under the category of photogs who, even when given a pinhole camera, can still take excellent shots... :sweat: :bsmilie:

Fer sure......how many times have we heard, its the guy behind the lens.

nightwolf75 said:

icychill, dun sweat abt the settings. when in doubt of the situation, use the cam's Av (aperature priority) mode. u set the f-stop, and let the camera decide on the shutter speed. as u can see from megaweb's pics, just go ard the tables and take table shots. with ur setup, any stage activities might be a toughie for ur cams. btw, which version of lumix are u using for the nite?

hmm. im not that sure....but mine's a panasonic DMC-LC43. Im still deciding whether to bring the casio along with the panasonic or the konica minolta's Dimage Xg. anyhow, thanks for the response! btw, is averture piority better or shutter speed piority better? Nickmak's settings shows ev-2....so does it mean i have to use a low ev and high iso? cos i tried taking with ev+1/+2 and a iso of arnd 150. wonder which is better? :think: and shld i use flash?

Just imagine what megaweb can do if this is a paid job and not just a guest. :D

i'll be going tonite at arnd 6.30...and maybe i'll have about half and hour to 45mins to have set the settings and check out the place ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.