Need help with camera recommendation!!

mattiboy

Jun 12, 2007
Hi people. I need your help and input.

I am thinking of getting a camera to shoot food products. The pictures will be used for brochures (A4 size roughly), pamphlets and the product packaging.

My budget will be about $700-800. Are there any specific models out there that you recommend? What are the things to look out for in a camera that is used mainly for close up shots of food products?

Thanks.

All cameras will do.

Hi, Your budget can buy LX5, S95, EX1.

Hi people. I need your help and input.

I am thinking of getting a camera to shoot food products. The pictures will be used for brochures (A4 size roughly), pamphlets and the product packaging.

My budget will be about $700-800. Are there any specific models out there that you recommend? What are the things to look out for in a camera that is used mainly for close up shots of food products?

Thanks.

I use a Fujifilm A303 to take foodshots. It's fun and interesting. You should try it too. In fact any camera also can do the same thing.

Hmmm...

What about the quality of the photos on print? Will it be grainy or will the DR be good enough for those cameras you all have mentioned?

Canon 500D body only without kit lens is having great promotion. Get it from shop should fit your budget & dont forget the purchase with purchase that fit your need.

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/buying/promotions

Without the kit lens will not help him, how will he take a picture?

Might as well get a K-X or a brand new Sony A290 with kit lens for about 670 SGD.

Any camera will do.

If you want a DSLR, then anyone within your budget will be decent.

we have 2nd hand items at BnS section....why dont you give it a try, You might see what you are looking for that's withing your budget!

TS, with ur budget, I will get pentax K-x for its superb high ISO performance.

would you need high iso performance for food photography?
Normally I never increase the ISO above 100 as I love noise-free shots :D, so I will always just on the IS, set the arpeture to ultra-wide, and set shutter speed to between 1/5 to 1 second. And because I have a steady hand, my shots are usually shake-free :)

Mattiboy, For your choice I think a second hand 450D in b&s will suit you. Cost usually around $600 only.

would you need high iso performance for food photography?

when TS mentioned food photography.. indoor low lighting come to my mind.. haha

reread TS post.. i think TS will surely has sufficient lighting provided since the photos to be used for marketing..

nevertheless, the sample image of K-x from Imaging-resource.com enough to convince me of its sharpness, thus my recommendation.

Hmmm...

What about the quality of the photos on print? Will it be grainy or will the DR be good enough for those cameras you all have mentioned?

If you light the food properly, you can shoot at base ISO. Any camera will be good enough, even PnS.

i tot commercial food photography they use flash... the wway the TS put it sounded like it was for commercial use.

With a budget of $700-800, you can get a new set of EOS 1000D with Kit lens 10MP...Can do what want already...Hope this help...;)

I'd suggest u get a high-end compacts like LX5 or S95 for ur budget, they at least have dedicated macro mode which allows u to shoot at close distance.
U can use natural light, like window with curtain for diffused light. I suppose for A4 size prints they are sufficient.

If u get an entry level DSLR, image quality is better but u may need extra accessories or dedicated lens for close distance shoot (just in case u really need macro works).

Without the kit lens will not help him, how will he take a picture?

Might as well get a K-X or a brand new Sony A290 with kit lens for about 670 SGD.

Buy a brand new 50mm f1.8 @ $60 from Canon.