need help urgent: PES E

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyuen

Feb 8, 2004
Jurong West
hi all i just got my PES grading its E1L3. anywant knows what it means?

do i have any obligation for reservist training? i got this grade due to partial double vision. i could upgrade to a B grade if i really want but should i? if i want i must appeal fast...

oh do i need to stay in camp for NS?
wad things can PES E do other than clerk?

none of my friends are PES E or know of anyone in army who's a PES E...

need some advice urgently...
thnks

dear glyuen,

i'm PES E too. can't rem what the E1L3 means, but think i had that too. IMO, all pes E are the same, means u can only be clerk. for me, i was with MDC. clerk at say CMPB is gd, as you can go home everyday etc.

it's really up to you if u wanna upgrade, most people wouldn't want to 'cheong sua'. hence PES E is some form of a 2 yr 'holiday'. and there's no reservist! only 5 yr standby which i dun think they'll call us back ec.

if need anymore help, u can call me 97625458

best regards
Jon

Basically, if you are PES E you are a clerk for the rest of your NS. :D

You would be doing minimal training for your NS. Most PES B dudes would like to be downgraded to this level.

Whatever you do, do not appeal to upgrade to PES B. :nono:

You will regret it.

A clerk gets a lot of sh*twork too, have to play office politics, learn to stroke officers. Get posted to unit and even the storemen will look down on U... hahha... (I've been both clerk & storeman so have felt both ways before.) Clerk life is cushy compared to any other vocation, but if U aspire higher and feel U want to take a challenge, go ahead and upgrade. ;)

i just did my PES E BMT last week .... at tekong, we only watched movies, play stupid games, area cleaning. Some of us requested for a jog, which was FUN!! basically there are 3 main things u need to do in BMT as PES E, sleep, eat and talk. there is TOTALLY no physical trainings, except for lectures.

although the norm is that you become a clerk, some pes E people become storemen as well... rarely though.
you'd have to be really unlucky to have to go for reservist if you're in pes E. :bsmilie:

PES E dosen't mean you will be a clerk straight away. There are many PES E storemen in my camp. It just depends where CPC sees fit to post you. Many factors are taken into consideration such as educational level (how high, and qualified in what) as well as medical reason of being downgraded to PES E. As for if you'll be stay in or stay out, depends on which unit you will be posted to.

You are still eligible for five years of reservist training, as you will be put on the holding list. But very seldom are PES E personnel recalled for reservist training.

PES E is very good already, just hope you get posted as a 8am-5pm clerk. Don't bother upgrading yourself to PES B. I personally see no point in doing that.

Depends what you want out of these 2 years. Ask yourself that ..

Take the red pill , you forget that ever wanted to make this choice to chiong sua and you stay a clerk for the rest of your NS life. Not forgetting that you prob will be in Mindef Reserve. Meaning that when u finish your NS liability you most prob won't be called back again.

Take the blue pill , like most other boys you will go thru sh*t and for once in your life be put thru the adventure of your life. You will be tested to your limits and will have memories to last a lifetime, nothing is certain cos you might get injured and downgraded , might become a "men" to follow orders , become a "sergeant" or an officer. But one thing is for certain .. i didn't have any regrets, and i won't paint u a rosy picture, its tough/painful but the friendship and memories you get from the hardships/adventures are something i won't ever trade to being a clerk.

Was it worth the time effort and pain ? I've believe i have become a better man. ;)

You are in a unique position to make a choice .. Choose wisely. ;)

before anyone else tries to influence you, believe me that "stories for the grandchildren" (if you've ever heard that one), is merely propaganda.
do not be swayed. if you've been given pes E, accept it with open arms. besides, if you ask your army friends... all in favor of you remaining as pes E heavily out-weighs the opposition :bsmilie:

foxtwo said:
A clerk gets a lot of sh*twork too, have to play office politics, learn to stroke officers. Get posted to unit and even the storemen will look down on U... hahha... (I've been both clerk & storeman so have felt both ways before.) Clerk life is cushy compared to any other vocation, but if U aspire higher and feel U want to take a challenge, go ahead and upgrade. ;)

That is actually a good training to the working life. :bsmilie:

IMO, just accept your pes status you won't regret it. Learn whatever you can from there. Can be useful in a way when you step into the working life.

But 1st of all must take it positive. Don't ever say you'll be wasting your 2yrs there being a clerk( if you should become 1).

If you positively accept what you are given, then you can have a better attitude to gain experience.

For adventures, physical training....plenty of opportunities later in your life after you ORD....better still, you can plan you own rather than planned by someone else.

IMO, either put me through the harshest training.....or just put me through the least physical demanding

I believe in freedom of speech , and i will fight for what anyone has to say even though i don't agree to it.

However , this decision is totally up to you.. its not the destination but the journey that matters most n what you want out of this journey. So choose wisely.

In the end .. please post which pill you took and tell us why.
;)

PES E means u will never get to eat the blue pill. honestly speaking, its better 4 u to eat the blue pill. think long term.

Jazer said:
I believe in freedom of speech , and i will fight for what anyone has to say even though i don't agree to it.

However , this decision is totally up to you.. its not the destination but the journey that matters most n what you want out of this journey. So choose wisely.

In the end .. please post which pill you took and tell us why.
;)

Frankly speaking, I quite agree with what Jazer has said.

My humble 2 cents:
Being a PES E (and most probably clerk) is a totally different ball game from being a "chiong sua" personnel.

I am (and still currently serving) as a PES E clerk, and I must say that I do sometimes miss on all the experiences that only a "chiong sua" personnel would get (and probably something that the average civilian won't) - the SIT tests, outfields, ranges, route marches (etc etc....). For me, Tekong was basically a 1 week boring "chalet" outing. Nothing but talks, lectures etc etc. Totally different from what the other guys have experienced.

It's especially worse when you meet up with your friends, and it's like everybody's discussing about their PS/PC, and how they get "takan-ed" and the likes...

BUT, on the other hand, being a clerk has its cons as well. Apart from the "9-5" job (actually, there are such things as stay-in clerks. :D), and literally-nil reservist liability, there are quite a number of underlying issues that you'll face. What people don't see behind the office partitions are the politics involved (not to say that combat vocations don't have them), and the immense amount of work that gets piled on your table by your superiors. It's no easy stuff.

And to make things complicated, there are many types of clerks as well. If your're lucky, you'll get the relatively "less thought intensive" ones, ie, COPAs, etc. If your're unlucky, you'll get the more "thought intensive" ones (better not state them here - lest I get into trouble. :D)

Many people think that clerks are "9-5" jobs. But what they don't see are the people who really try to make an effort in their work. These group of people make the effort to really try their best for the sake of the unit, and I must say, the commitment that they put in can put the average NSF (and even some of the regulars) to shame.

On the contrary, there are some (I don't mean all) combat vocations are pretty darn slack. I may be grossly wrong here, but from what I heard from my combat friends, they just get some exercises per month, and that's basically it. They basically experience work in a totally different manner (more towards the labour intensive aspect).

I've learnt A LOT from my vocation in my unit (both work wise and in inter-personal relationships), and I would still say NS is one of the best times in which you mould and shape yourself.

Hope my viewpoint has helped you to paint a clearer picture, and do let us know of your decision!

ask to be mindef photographer :)

thanks for all the replies, i still can't make up my mind. wouild appreciate more opinions?
by the way i saw a few mindef photogs before..anyone know how to be one?

what i don;t want about upgrading is the physical tiredness but i scared that clerks would be looked down upon after leaving NS...

combat vocation is never slack.

if u end up as clerk...my advise is : never become mobilisation clerk. that job can die one. but i respect those clerk who know how to do their job well

glyuen said:
thanks for all the replies, i still can't make up my mind. wouild appreciate more opinions?

what i don;t want about upgrading is the physical tiredness but i scared that clerks would be looked down upon after leaving NS...

Not sure about the others, but the one in my unit got in through his qualifications. He had a diploma in Mass Comms. in Ngee Ann, and took photography as an elective. You also need a stroke of luck for CPC to post you there as well.

Another alternative (abeit not a very successful one) would be to "sell yourself" to the units directly before your enlistment. Frankly speaking, unless you are REALLY good, they won't care. On our side, we've received tons of portfolios - from the average recommendation letter, to the whole "package", (VCD and brochure included) from FSV students to accept them, but all of them were rejected.

clive > pardon me if I sounded as if I was slamming combat vocations personnel. I know nuts about them. :)

glyuen said:

looking down on clerks is a fact; even thou we still try to acknowledge their special clerical skills than the combat guys largely dunno about. its just the way things are

physical tiredness: everybody in combat will be tired! ;-) few people go thru combat BMT and come out of it and say its a piece of cake. either they are super fit or have very strong willpower and positive thinking. and physical fitness is meant to be built up slowly. the training inside IS tough BUT progressive. and nowadays BMT and combat have alot of emphasis on safety..so the chances of injury is slim ..unless u purposely dont follow instructions and injure yourself. basically being a combat soldier is a tiring job. thats a fact. the issue now is how well are u prepared to about facing this challenge. alot of us go in, suffer pain at first but slowly u will get used to it. yes its boring and tiring but thats where u learn to condition both your body and develop positive thinking. it takes time , from BMT to commander training to unit life, to ultimately build u up into a "better man". and somemore u only got to do 2 years!

glyuen said:

Why care so much about others opinion?

I have a classmate who was a CMPB clerk during his NS, no need reservice. Average fitness, I believe he hasn't tried 2.4km run since his school days.

Now driving a Mazda 6 (try to be low profile) and have about $20k per month income. He is 28.

Please tell me whose going to look down on him?

PLease be thinking long term. National Defence can be social, military, econmics etc of 5 aspect in Total defence.

Just play the part well where you can best contribute. My friend played a small part in the military defence, but right now he's contributing much more in the economics aspect.

glyuen said:

I'm sure you've heard this before, 'Serve & F off'. Noone cares what you did during NS, except you yourself(?). Even as a clerk, as long as you do the job as expected of you, never the troublemaker, covered your tracks well :D , you can still hold your head up.

Why I advise aspiring higher is because many aspects of NS was lost when I became a pencil pusher. However, your double vision matter is no joke so take care of yourself first. Have you asked your parents what they think? I'm pretty sure most parents wouldn't mind at all if their son was going NS to be a clerk~! :bsmilie:

There is a long life for you after NS, so dun let the next 2 yrs bother you too much, it'll be over before you know it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.