Need help to shoot sun set

Status
Not open for further replies.

enyu

Dec 28, 2005
Hi there, can anyone advice how to take sun set, I tried using spot metering to exposure lock at the area of sun, pic turned out to be horrible, but if i use 3D matrix metering, the overall pic with the sun over exposed, looks ugry too.:embrass: any tips please.......

Manual mode.
use spot metering to take reading AROUND the sun, NOT including the sun.
you should find a place (an area in the sky, have nice color) that you want to set as mid tone.
check on your LCD to fine tune the exposure to the why you like it to be.

enyu said:
Hi there, can anyone advice how to take sun set, I tried using spot metering to exposure lock at the area of sun, pic turned out to be horrible, but if i use 3D matrix metering, the overall pic with the sun over exposed, looks ugry too.:embrass: any tips please.......

Like above mention or use ND filter etc.:lovegrin: :thumbsup:

longkangman said:
Like above mention or use ND filter etc.:lovegrin: :thumbsup:

An ND filter does not work in this situation. An ND Grad will.

enyu said:
First of all, the sun will ALWAYS be washed out with our normal equipment.
Take Catchlight's advise by taking the exposure for the skies around the sunset instead. :thumbsup:

thks all, any idea where is the best spot in Singapore to take sun set & sunrise ?? :) <<finally bought by nikon 50mm f1.8 today, mmmm.... just wondering can i use 50mm for landscape ?? >> they don't have NC filter so took Kenso PRO 1 @ $20 instead.

enyu said:
thks all, any idea where is the best spot in Singapore to take sun set & sunrise ?? :) <<finally bought by nikon 50mm f1.8 today, mmmm.... just wondering can i use 50mm for landscape ?? >> they don't have NC filter so took Kenso PRO 1 @ $20 instead.

Congrates to you purchase. :)

You can go labrador park or changi boardwalk and should be able to see me there as well.

I use 200mm for sunset/sunrise and I don't see why not. :lovegrin:

Sorry my lousy shoot.
_DSC5126.jpg

catchlights said:
Hmm...
I just happen to be there at the right time only. :)
That's the essence of taking good photos, catching the right lighting, place, framing and moment at the right time :thumbsup:

Really like to go out shooting with you all at Punggol. But too bad I stay too far away at the west.

longkangman said:
WOW!!! no horse run when can I join u and learn. :) :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

I can only buy you coffee. :embrass:
Busy with work lately, and have not been shooting landscape in Punggol for many months liao. Hope have time to shoot it before all gone.

master eikin in Jap now, poohbear is busy with study, guess you guys have to organize it yourself.

tks tks.... by the way where is labrador park or changi boardwalk, can i find it in the street directory ?? ;p when is the BEST time to go ?? which part of Punggol ? is it near the sea food MAKAN area ? WOW can't wait to go.

enyu said:
tks tks.... by the way where is labrador park or changi boardwalk, can i find it in the street directory ?? ;p when is the BEST time to go ?? which part of Punggol ? is it near the sea food MAKAN area ? WOW can't wait to go.

Yeah should be able to locate it from street directory.

Sunrise is before 0700 and sunset is also 1900 best check the website provide by the gov.sg.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2268

Punggol is another good place to shoot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.